Author Topic: Is there anyone here that uses .......  (Read 4596 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Is there anyone here that uses .......
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:57 AM »
any type of stand alone back/spine protection.  I've been pondering the idea, looking for feed back. Something like this.... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/23880/ITEM/Icon-Stryker-CE-Back-Protector.aspx

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline gpzrocker

Re: Is there anyone here that uses .......
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »
Ron, I have used a pressure suit and am a big proponent of stand alone armor. Icon makes a whole line called "field armor" and as of now I just use the knee/shin stuff, but plan on very soon getting the chest and back and elbow for under my Olympia. Or continue using the pressure suit. The pressure suit is ADV gear, ahh, let me get you a pic.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:47:12 AM »

This is a more expensive one, I run a no name brand that I picked up for substantially less. I do have to remove my armor from my textile for this, but I am sure that this will give me better protection and won't slip around as much.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

This is a more expensive one, I run a no name brand that I picked up for substantially less. I do have to remove my armor from my textile for this, but I am sure that this will give me better protection and won't slip around as much.

Where did you get it, Louie?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 05:05:24 AM »
It looks like Batman armour.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »
 Six Six One also makes a back protector- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/34720/ITEM/SixSixOne-Back-Guard.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Pressure%20Suit&WT.MC_ID=10010

The pressure suits are nice also. You'll find them mostly for motocross protection.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
I have one of these for ADV rides, quite comfy.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/2012_titan_sport_off_road_jacket/web1008573

Thanks everyone for your responses.

SOP, do you ONLY wear it on ADV rides, and not on the street ?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
I haven't used it on the street, but I may, the back support is really nice and the whole setup feels really comfortable.  On my Hoh Rainforest ride last year we did 2 long days, mostly forest roads and some backcountry pavement, I never felt like it cumbersome.  You have me thinking that you are onto something, it would definately offer more impact protection, combine it with a quality non armored jacket you would be about as covered as possible.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
With that type of style do you think that it would be to uncomfortable in the dead of summer here in NC? I am going to get one for sure I just need/want as much feed back as possible to narrow down my search/selection...

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
It breathes pretty good, if you had on a cooling vest for the longer rides I dont see why not.  My experience in NC and the surrounding areas left me with the impression that some days just aint fit for humans ;)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
Looking at that pressure suit, I know where most of the pressure would be if I was wearing it.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
No way I would ever wear that on the street, but would consider it when I go offroad.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
No way I would ever wear that on the street, but would consider it when I go offroad.

What are you referring to, Pokey? any spine protection or a pressure suit?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »
What are you referring to, Pokey? any spine protection or a pressure suit?

Cheers
Ron

I own motorcycle jackets "textile" which do offer up some back protection, but I reckon it aint nothing too special. The places you need armor in a jacket IMHO for street riding is the elbows/forearms and scapular area, anywhere else for me would be nothing but a nuisance. Personally I worry much more about roadrash, never gave much thought otherwise. Pressure suit........what the suck is a pressure suit? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Ok, I opened up a can of worms. Let see if I can dig through all this mess:

1) Where did I get it? A friend for $20. My favorite though (and wait until you drool over this): look up Bohn Body armor. I was not awake earlier.  Be prepared to say" THAT IS IT". www.bohnarmor.com

Now as for the heat: I too wear a cooling vest, but cannot see this working with the pressure suit. Honestly above like 85 I have to put the original floppy armor back in, the vest on and pull the plexiglass off the rifle base.  And then go as high as I can, and don't come back down until the sun goes down.

Other choice: The Icon field armor flows so well that I cannot see it being a hindrance. Works great for my legs year round, and you know how hot a C10 riders legs get.

As for the on road/off road thought. I bet you go harder and faster on the street. Why not be prepared?

Think it is covered, and yes, my suit lets my gut hang out. There, that does it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
I prepare for roadrash all over, and keeping my head and face from getting bashed in. I aim to be the most comfortable that I can, with the most protection I can stand......wearing something like that just aint gonna cut it for me. I figure that if I ever worried that much about the what ifs and could be's, I will just give up riding all together. To each their own of course, but unless I was doing serious offroad/MX/ or trackday I will just wear the best comfy gear I am willing to spend on. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
That is cool. Understand that I am so comfortable that I forget it is on. And the Kidney style belt actually helps me. Just how it is for me, others may vary.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
I have this one:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/21655/ITEM/Alpinestars-Bionic-Back-Protector.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

This type of pad is more for preventing a hyper-extension of your spine or impact piercing, than preventing road rash - but it does that very well also.

I found it on craigslist when I bought a used leather one-piece.  I got both for $140.  I wear the back protector when as mush as I can.  I do agree with ATGATT - but there are personal limits.  When it reachs extreme hight temps comfort safety to me is more improtant than 100% full protection.  If you're too hot, you may not be concentrating as much as you should - it's all about balancing both of them.  This pad can be worn over a t-shirt and that's it if you want to.  However, I do agree in preventing as much road rash as possible so I do have a mesh jacket with armor for hot weather.  I remove the back pad in my jackets and wear this instead (most of the time).  In most crashes the important armor seems to be the elbows, knees, ankles, and shoulders to prevent road rash.

Those full upper body suits are way cool.  The price matches the coolness though.  These are for very extreme uses, but you could of course argue that if we all wore a property fitting one, that many crash injuries would be reduced.  These do the best at keeping armor EXACTLY where it should be.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »
Cheap no name brands that look just like the expensive stuff is on ebay for cheap. I found some for like $20-30 once....