Author Topic: Main battery  (Read 5154 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Main battery
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
The skyrich battery I bought about a year ago seems to be crapping out early. I could not find any batteries at Murphs as listed in the Wiki.  I looked at the Westoc website and it looks like they have been bought out and not the same quality. PLus there battery finder kept pulling up batteries for different bikes. I am considering this  Scorpion: http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14-BS.html
Has anyone tried it?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline chap

Re: Main battery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
I guess the trick with batterys is that they have to be properly conditioned when new. Don't expect to show up at the store and just take it home. if you do the life will be greatly reduced. A good battery shop will condition it for you and you pick it up the next day. Also if your bike is out of use for a while it should have the battery on a maintenance charger to keep it healthy.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Bought my last few batteries from Amazon sellers.  Shipped to my door new, with electrolyte in a separate container.  Activate them when ready to use them, and you know the initial charge was done correctly if you do it yourself (and follow directions).

I've started buying the Yausa high end batteries with the Sulfate Stop additiive.  Since sulfation is the primary killer of batteries, I expect it will make them last much longer, easily justifying the slightly higher price.

Don't know anything about the batteries in your link though, sorry.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Auto-zone sells a conditioned AGM battery for our bikes ready to go.  At least they did here.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Auto-zone sells a conditioned AGM battery for our bikes ready to go.  At least they did here.

That is good to know, will give them a check when I am ready.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »

And that would be?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
How about a link to the battery on AutoZone?
Any ship can be a minesweeper once.

Offline Z71

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
I recommend Yuasa batteries (genuine Yuasa, not look-alikes).  You buy them dry, with the electrolyte packaged separately.   If you follow the filling instructions they tell you to let the filled battery SOAK for at least an hour before charging.   Check the electrolyte level after the soaking time and top off as necessary before sealing the battery with provided strips.  Generally freshly filled batteries will not need much charging and using a fully automatic trickle charger is the best way (1 to 1.5 Amps charging current).   Do not use higher than 2 amps charging current or you will shorten the life of the battery.  Concours C14 needs a BS-14 size Yuasa battery.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
When I had a Strom I got a battery from Napa, filled it up and charged it. Worked great! Think I will go to Batteries Plus for the C14, hear great things about them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
Good luck with it.

I keep the battery in my KiPass fresh, and haven't had to replace the big battery  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
Good luck with it.

I keep the battery in my KiPass fresh, and haven't had to replace the big battery  :D
Thanks, I like that plan, much cheaper!

Offline Shoe

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
Have you tried Walmart?

Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
I agree with those who recommend the Yuasa batteries. I have a couple on stanby for the Connie and the Voyager 1700.
$73.00 via Amazon. 

Happy Holidays to all!

Jack
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
The C-14 has always come from the factory with an AGM absorbed glass mat battery. AGM batteries have no overflow tube or openings for liquid. They can be shipped USPS because they are not liquid and can be stored upside down without leaking. I would never put a liquid acid battery on a motorcycle again given the choice, the acid overflow tube can be accidentally knocked off and the acid removes all paint on the frame below. And if the tube does ever work as planned, the acid coming out of it will be slung from the back tire onto everything nearby.
I use the MBTX12U Battery. 14 Amp, 200CCA AGM. Available at amazon, ebay, even sears. I paid about $80. They are yellow, have two extra connections for accessories. And they have threaded holes in the connections for direct bolting, instead of that old square nut balancing act that you have to do with the Scorpion or Yuasa, blindly trying to lift up/place the nut while turning the bolt, dropping the nut into the frame lost forever, where do you buy square nuts? Why would you put up with that?
2008 C-14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
The skyrich battery I bought about a year ago seems to be crapping out early. I could not find any batteries at Murphs as listed in the Wiki.  I looked at the Westoc website and it looks like they have been bought out and not the same quality. PLus there battery finder kept pulling up batteries for different bikes. I am considering this  Scorpion: http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14-BS.html
Has anyone tried it?

YEP...
BEST BATTERY DEAL OUT THERE..... ;)
well, maybe....they DID get it to me within 72 hours, and it was fully charged.....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10869.msg133292#msg133292

go for it....at that price it's a win... ;)

when I bought mine I called them and asked about the age/when it was activated/conditioning thing, and they sell only fresh batteries, filled and initially charged prior to shipping....i stuck my tender on it for giggles, and it registered fully charged right off.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies all!

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
I have a question about the Motobatt. I read some reviews and it  seems to me the extra connectors are intended to make the battery fit more applications rather than connect accessories. Have you actually connected accessories to the unused terminals? It seems to me that could cause electrical problems with the complicated ignition system/KiPass. But I admit electrons still seem like magic to me so I'm probably wrong.
The C-14 has always come from the factory with an AGM absorbed glass mat battery. AGM batteries have no overflow tube or openings for liquid. They can be shipped USPS because they are not liquid and can be stored upside down without leaking. I would never put a liquid acid battery on a motorcycle again given the choice, the acid overflow tube can be accidentally knocked off and the acid removes all paint on the frame below. And if the tube does ever work as planned, the acid coming out of it will be slung from the back tire onto everything nearby.
I use the MBTX12U Battery. 14 Amp, 200CCA AGM. Available at amazon, ebay, even sears. I paid about $80. They are yellow, have two extra connections for accessories. And they have threaded holes in the connections for direct bolting, instead of that old square nut balancing act that you have to do with the Scorpion or Yuasa, blindly trying to lift up/place the nut while turning the bolt, dropping the nut into the frame lost forever, where do you buy square nuts? Why would you put up with that?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
I have a question about the Motobatt. I read some reviews and it  seems to me the extra connectors are intended to make the battery fit more applications rather than connect accessories. Have you actually connected accessories to the unused terminals? It seems to me that could cause electrical problems with the complicated ignition system/KiPass. But I admit electrons still seem like magic to me so I'm probably wrong.

It won't cause any problems, as long as + is to + and - is to -.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
While it is always a good idea to question anything that will come into the realm of KiPass (chuckle), it makes no difference in this case. I have been using a Motobatt in my C-14 for a while now and it seems to be a fine battery. As to the assortment of terminal connections, they are only there so the same battery can be used in more vehicles without having to change to a different part number.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com