Author Topic: Info for Rotella Lovers  (Read 18101 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Info for Rotella Lovers
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
Because, after all, there are only three kinds of people in th world.  Those who can do math, and those who can't.
:rotflmao:
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
Yeah, each quart costs 6 dollars and 383 cents.

And a new C-14 (retail) costs 6 dollars and 1,589,300 cents.

Brian

Frank, you are just bad at math.  It's simple:  $59 / 6qts = just over $6 per quart.  Got it now?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
Because, after all, there are only three kinds of people in th world.  Those who can do math, and those who can't.

I don't get it...?  ???
'02 C-10

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
I don't get it...?  ???

Reads like a crock err somethin' to me!  A Rotella lover, Lew  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Don't worry about it.  It's a math thing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
mobile 1 4t at a little over 6 bucks a quart, how can you go wrong?  using rotella over this to save how much?  foolish.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-98JA11-Racing-10W-40-Motorcycle/dp/B004U8JH84

Just ordered me some of that and a KN-303.  And yeah, you're math is a bit off.  ;D

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
"You're"  Jebus, rather pathetic making fun of someone's math, when I can't get the grammar correct.  ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »
"You're"  Jebus, rather pathetic making fun of someone's math, when I can't get the grammar correct.  ;D

I was just chuckling to myself about that and almost spit beer all over my wife's iPad when I read your (or is it you're  :D ) response.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
Who woulda thunk it, that an oil thread can be this much fun!  :popcorn:

Because, after all, there are only three kinds of people in the world.  Those who can do math, and those who can't.

:goodpost:

Offline PH14

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
I love the way people try to out engineer the actual engineers who designed the bike. The manufacturer calls for a certain type of oil and then people question its suitability for the bike based on a "study" that doesn't compare the oil studied to other oils. I can guarantee that the engineers took into account the end viscosity of the oil after the specified service life. I am willing to bet that any oil used in the bike will lose viscosity by the end of the specified service interval. If you use the oil specified, not worrying about synthetic or dino oil, change it along with the filter at the specified intervals, you will have no oil related issues.  ::)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »
I love the way people try to out engineer the actual engineers who designed the bike. The manufacturer calls for a certain type of oil and then people question its suitability for the bike based on a "study" that doesn't compare the oil studied to other oils. I can guarantee that the engineers took into account the end viscosity of the oil after the specified service life. I am willing to bet that any oil used in the bike will lose viscosity by the end of the specified service interval. If you use the oil specified, not worrying about synthetic or dino oil, change it along with the filter at the specified intervals, you will have no oil related issues.  ::)
+1
I would imagine that the designers decide on miles between changes after assuming that a reasonable person would put in a middle-of-the-road oil. Then they specify how many miles that's likely to work. Most likely, they decide on that mileage and then cut it in half for the manual, just to cover their tails. JMHO
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »

Rotella is JA motorcycle rated per the manufacturers :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
I love me some Rotella!!!
I change my oil every 3,000 miles on the dot with Rotella and will continue doing so. 44,000 miles on my last bike and 22,000 miles on my 2010. Feels like new!!!

If you said Walmart was bad. I would be in total agreement.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
And the stock tires are great, right? ;)

When things progress to oil and math in one thread it belongs in da Arena ;D  Throw in grammer and it belongs in a 'Busa forum ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Add tires to the mix and it belongs in a Harley forum :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
My lawnmower likes rotella.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »
Another winning oil thread indeed
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »
And the stock tires are great, right? ;)

When things progress to oil and math in one thread it belongs in da Arena ;D  Throw in grammer and it belongs in a 'Busa forum ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Add tires to the mix and it belongs in a Harley forum :o

Did someone say Busa??  ;)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
I run EVOO in mine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
Well now that someone finally said that, Olive oil is really a pretty good lubricant and works well in modern machinery overall. The two big problems is that being organic it tends to go rancid and like most natural oils, tends to have a poor viscosity / temperature curve. A better oil that is still natural is the oil of the castor bean, which is one of the very few, if not the only, oil to actually get thicker at extremely high temperatures. It is also one of the few decent lubricating oils that is miscible with alcohol.

Castor oil was the oil of choice in early Rhone or gnome type radial (rotary) engines as they were a contestant- loss type and the pilot of the plane ended up consuming a lot of oil from the exhaust. And yes, the pilots did suffer from the result of ingesting too much castor oil.... maybe Herr von Richthofen might have been called the 'Brown Baron' if not for the catchy color of his plane?

This has got to be a new low even for an oil thread.

Brian

I run EVOO in mine.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
Rotella is JA motorcycle rated per the manufacturers :D

I never said it wasn't. I am not commenting on any particular oil. I am commenting on the "study" done that compares nothing and doesn't take into account that all oils lose viscosity as it is used and breaks down. The engineers who came up with the specs take all that into account. Pick a quality oil and be done with it. The Internet is replete with horror stories or "information" regarding the suitability or unsuitability of oils, filters, you name it and the majority of said information isn't worth the price of the paper it is written on, and since it is on the Internet and not actually written on paper, it must not be worth much.

Buy oil, buy a filter, drain your oil, remove old filter, install new filter, pour in new oil and ride. Repeat as necessary. (This doesn't mean every 1500 miles.)  ::) Someone here once said he changed his oil every 1500 miles. If I did that there would be times I would change the oil every other day. On one trip I would have changed the oil after one day of riding.

Don't get me started about the old thread wanting people to send their oil in for analysis. This is simply hypochondria for motorcycles. Seriously people, the manufacturer actually knows what they are doing when the recommend oil, filters and oil change intervals. The engine will last a long time without horrific catastrophic damage due to using ordinary motorcycle oil that meets the manufacturers specifications.

(Is the a stepping off the soapbox emoticon anywhere here?)