Author Topic: 1009 mile ride report  (Read 18328 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: 1009 mile ride report
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »
If one wants to eliminate the whole process of carrying around the fob, and is willing to let the anti- theft property of KiPass go with it, then take the RFID block out of any fob and glue it to the front of the ignition switch housing. You will never have to carry / put a battery in/ worry about losing the fob again. And by a KiPass activation switch bypass and you will have eliminated the 'look and feel' of KiPass and can treat it like any other bike- just remove the key when you leave the bike.

Brian, Brian, Brian,..have you no entrepreneurial compass? Another great potential product that could have been sold by www.incontrolne.com to all those KIPASS haters.  You could have bundled the instructions with the KIPASS Bypass for at least an extra $25, but oh noooooo, you just give it away for free!
 Admit it Brian, you love these guys don't you?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
Well, truth be told, I am actually pretty ambivalent about the whole thing now- there just is not any fun left in it. Back in  the early days, it was a riot but now it is just the occasional complaint and I have not been successful in whipping up any kind of ferver about it..... ah, the old days.

Onto new / old problems though: the Rostra CC. Several problems out there with those things lately and it has me again thinking of putting together something that would make it easier to install a CC. Not sure about what to put together (how complete a kit) and the price (gotta' say, low fuel warning eliminators and KiPass activation switch bypass manufacture follows the "hobby" business model but not quite as profitable- still, I do seem to have extremely happy customers so that is basically why I continue with those). One of the real problems with the whole Rostra thing is that there are so many choices in things like which switch to use- and some of them are really not only pretty lousy but difficult to work with on installation; a kit could at least control the components. Anyway, finger throbbing (Easy Boys!), mind wandering and OFFTOPIC.

Brian

KiPass Rocks!

Brian, Brian, Brian,..have you no entrepreneurial compass? Another great potential product that could have been sold by www.incontrolne.com to all those KIPASS haters.  You could have bundled the instructions with the KIPASS Bypass for at least an extra $25, but oh noooooo, you just give it away for free!
 Admit it Brian, you love these guys don't you?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
I had an extra key cut at Ace Hardware for $2.40 and put it on a nylon tie that I put on a hanger between the tank and the steering head....just kind of hangs down there but is easy to reach and nearly invisible unless you know it is there. I keep my fob in my pocket and use the "hidden hanging key" to open my bags and gas cap and can reach it as quickly as if I had it in my pocket. My passive fob key is kept in my tool kit under my seat so I always have a way to start the bike and can use the hidden key to get the seat off if for some reason I lost my fob or it quit working. In the mean time my fob has always worked properly and I have spare keys at home just in case something strange happens. I know some put spares in the glove box but that won't open if the fob quits working so I avoid that. I know this seems like a lot of screwing around compared to having a key in your pocket and one in your wallet but once set up it seems bulletproof and it works for me.
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2015, 11:26:56 AM »
Don't worry, there are others who feel as you do. I prefer a key as well, but it starts my bike and I can ride it. If you don't get into the bags often, it isn't a big deal. I prefer simplicity though and KIPASS is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. It does work though, and I have had no issues with mine, a 2009.

I also agree.  The only positive might be if you live in a high crime area where it might make it less likely to be stolen.  If the FOB allowed the bike to start without touching the key I might, kinda, like it, but it doesn't.  You still have to not only push, but also turn the stupid key.  Like you've said; "why"?  Stupidity...  If Kipass was so good why isn't is on all the other bikes that Kawasaki sells, and why don't all the other brands copy it?  I tolerate it because the rest of the bike is so good.  If I'd not been a COG member for over 25 years I probably would have bought an FJ that had a bigger gas tank and no Kipass. 

I went to a lock smith and had two keys made from the key fob key and leave these in the bag locks.  Some time I'll post picks showing how I ground off most of the keys and epoxied them into the fork air caps off of an 86 C10.  Makes a nice low profile key arrangement on the bags. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:29:35 PM by hlh1 »
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
I am with you! And while we are at it, how about dat dere no good electronic ignition and fuel injection! If it was so good, why was it NOT on the Model T, the second most produced car ever made? This new fangle electronical stuff is just a fad I tells ya'.... why before too long, these young, foolish, useless engineering types are going to wake up and go back to good old days of living in caves and hunting for supper with a sharp stick!

<he says as he strokes his long, white beard, sitting on the porch>

chuckle

Brian

<snip>

Like you've said; "why"?  Stupidity...  If Kipass was so good why isn't is on all the other bikes that Kawasaki sells, and why don't all the other brands copy it?  I tolerate it because the rest of the bike is so good.  If I'd not been a COG member for over 25 years I probably would have bought an FJ that had a bigger gas tank and no Kipass. 

<snip>
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
I am with you! And while we are at it, how about dat dere no good electronic ignition and fuel injection! If it was so good, why was it NOT on the Model T, the second most produced car ever made? This new fangle electronical stuff is just a fad I tells ya'.... why before too long, these young, foolish, useless engineering types are going to wake up and go back to good old days of living in caves and hunting for supper with a sharp stick!

<he says as he strokes his long, white beard, sitting on the porch>

chuckle

Brian

Hi Brian, I wondered if you could resist...  :-) 

I'm just talking about Kipass, nothing else.  Sometimes more technology is not always good. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2015, 07:29:21 PM »
Nah, I am always up for a good KiPass hating thread. :-)  Although lately the level of play has fallen way, way off.

In the big picture, more technology is always good. By that I mean overall goodness, not any specific thing or instance. As an example, I have walked the planet for over 5 decades and of those I remember, each successive one has been [overall better] than the last. You and I would not be having this conversation as little as 20 years ago simply because the technology was not available and yet it is here now and we both seem to be making use of it.

In all seriousness, I think KiPass is overall a good thing and works as advertised. Not really sure why so many people hate it but then again, I am not sure why so many people insist on resisting simply using it the way it was intended either. ?? At any rate, there will be more of this type technology to come and somewhere down the road (no pun intended), your children will be talking to my children and one of them will be whining about the new, self- inflating tires and how they were never needed before, the olden days were better, etc., etc. I am simply hoping it is one of my children who is on the positive side of the argument (self- inflating tires are a GOOD thing.... overall).

All with respect and good humor as always. :-)

Brian

Hi Brian, I wondered if you could resist...  :-) 

I'm just talking about Kipass, nothing else.  Sometimes more technology is not always good.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »
If it weren't for advancing technology, we wouldn't have yoga pants.

I rest my case.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:46 PM »
Hey, key word was 'overall'.

Again, by way of example, I give you this list as to the benifits of living in 2015....

"2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come....."

:rotflmao:

Brian

If it weren't for advancing technology, we wouldn't have yoga pants.

I rest my case.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
Hey, key word was 'overall'.

:rotflmao:

Brian

My point exactly. Overall, yoga pants are good.   

I'm just sayin'...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....