Author Topic: tire pressure monitors  (Read 18745 times)

Offline wingrider

tire pressure monitors
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
Can the tire pressure monitors be programmed by the user if different ones are installed? I removed mine when I had the new tires installed as I refuse to deal with anything that expensive when the battery gets weak and you have to remove the tire to replace. Add in the blocking of the display and they were gone. I installed a Doran system I had from my Wing. My real question is do the pressure monitors I took out have any value to someone out there?

Thanks, Jim

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: tire pressure monitors
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »
Why don't you replace the batteries and put them back in next tire change?

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
To answer the OP's question, they would have to be programmed to the bike by someone (dealer) with the super duper Kwaker gizmo.  They (dealer) would also have to know how to use said gizmo.  There really isn't anything wrong with the sensors.  It's just the battery that gave out.  9/10 of the job is getting the tire off.  It's quite simple to replace the battery.  I've done one already and will do the front sometime in the spring.  The sensors will become dear as Kwaker Central supposedly is replacing the dead and dying sensors with ones that have batteries that can't be replaced and then you're having to buy a sensor if they aren't covered under warranty or warranty extension.

So in closing, the sensors have absolutely no value  ::) and I'll be glad to take them off your hands for postage.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »

So in closing, the sensors have absolutely no value  ::) and I'll be glad to take them off your hands for postage.... ;)

;D

Offline wingrider

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
Sounds like postage could be expensive.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
Possibly... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:38:32 AM »
snip...

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Spanky

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
I am usually very happy with Kawasaki, but installing sensors without replaceable batteries is just an A-Hole move. Lets see, two batteries -$5.00 tops. Two sensors - just a little bit more...

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
Do you know of any automotive tire pressure sensors with replaceable batteries?  The units on our bikes do not have 'user' replaceable batteries.  They weren't designed for user replacement.  We just got lucky in that we could do it.  And you know, it may be a liability issue with Kwaker that they decided to change the design so that the batteries couldn't easily be replaced by the riders, not to mention that they just don't hold up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Do you know of any automotive tire pressure sensors with replaceable batteries?

I am guessing few if any have replaceable batteries by design.  But I bet they are far less expensive and last longer too.

The units on our bikes do not have 'user' replaceable batteries.  They weren't designed for user replacement.  We just got lucky in that we could do it.  And you know, it may be a liability issue with Kwaker that they decided to change the design so that the batteries couldn't easily be replaced by the riders, not to mention that they just don't hold up.

I am not sure how it could be liability related, since there is no loss in safety by having a low battery.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
Who knows how the Kwackers and their lawyers think...just offering up a potential reason behind the sensor change.  I mean, who knows what goes on in the board room after the Sake is opened?  Which reminds me, I have a bottle of that just waiting to be consumed.

Offline wingrider

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
The sensors for the Doran system don't have replaceable batteries but when the batteries do get weak which takes about two to three years of steady riding they only cost 25 dollars to replace and can be programmed in by the owner.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
The car sensors for sure last much longer, wonder why that is? "I do not miss those moody things by the way".   ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
I am usually very happy with Kawasaki, but installing sensors without replaceable batteries is just an A-Hole move. Lets see, two batteries -$5.00 tops. Two sensors - just a little bit more...

Call Mark at kawasaki, he very much appreciates input  (866) 802-9381
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »
Call Mark at kawasaki, he very much appreciates input  (866) 802-9381

Don't know if A call to Mark is legit, but I thinking of a call to Moma Kawa is in order!
My dealer ordered the sensors to replace mine under warranty, which is now a sealed unit, as has been mentioned elsewhere. But dig this, the nut that holds it in place is a separate part #  :o and needs to ordered separately, as the original is a different size!! I'm out 3 hours at the dealer + 2 hours to and from, for a 25 cent nut they'll charge 7 bucks for. And come on, it should be included. Bottom line, if your having your Sensors updated, make sure they order all the parts! Need to go back to the dealer, hope for another break in the weather like today. It was 61 on the jersey shore.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
To answer your question Jim, yes I believe they do.

The sensors are not programmed but rather the bike is programmed to respond to those sensors. Any Kawasaki dealer that has the KDS equipment (most seem to) will code the bike and the labor rate seems to be 1/2 hour or so usually.

The new sensors coming out from Kawasaki are a different brand, different type altogether, and potted meaning that it will not be nearly as easy to change batteries as it is on the ones you have.

So for someone wanting an extra set of sensors that they could put in immediately during a tire change, I would think buying a working pair would be useful. Try putting them up for sale on this forum and maybe the other Concours forum and if they don't go, put them on Ebay if you want. I really can't give you a value but I would think $25 each with dead or weak batteries, and maybe $40 each with good, 'full' batteries would not be unreasonable.

Brian

Can the tire pressure monitors be programmed by the user if different ones are installed? I removed mine when I had the new tires installed as I refuse to deal with anything that expensive when the battery gets weak and you have to remove the tire to replace. Add in the blocking of the display and they were gone. I installed a Doran system I had from my Wing. My real question is do the pressure monitors I took out have any value to someone out there?

Thanks, Jim
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wingrider

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
Thanks. That is what I was wondering about. I will list them in a couple of days when i get some time off from work.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
I'm getting both front and rear TPMS replaced this coming Saturday. Done under warranty. Low Battery alert, for and aft. This has been happening, on and off for a few weeks. Time to get them replaced.

More as things develop.

Jack
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
I'm getting both front and rear TPMS replaced this coming Saturday. Done under warranty. Low Battery alert, for and aft. This has been happening, on and off for a few weeks. Time to get them replaced.

More as things develop.

Jack
Do you know if they are putting the new style in? What warranty are they giving on the new sensors?

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Do you know if they are putting the new style in? What warranty are they giving on the new sensors?

Make sure they order the nuts!
My dealer ordered replacements and the new style came in. It require a different nut to attach it and has a separate part #!
They couldn't afford to include the nut!
Absurd!! :banghead:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk