Author Topic: TPMS options?  (Read 16998 times)

Offline TallyRex

Re: TPMS options?
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 02:50:58 AM »
I've had my Acura TL since 06 and have never had an issue with the TPS. So, why does the C-14 battery fail so early?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
Good question.  Old batteries to begin with?  Battery not hefty enough?  Poor design from Kwak Central?  Take your pick, it could be any number of things..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 05:31:54 AM »
Good question.  Old batteries to begin with?  Battery not hefty enough?  Poor design from Kwak Central?  Take your pick, it could be any number of things..

I'd love to hear an answer to this one.  I went through 3 sets before (the dealer and) I gave up.

Dave

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »
I've had my Acura TL since 06 and have never had an issue with the TPS. So, why does the C-14 battery fail so early?

Is there any difference in the size of the monitors for cars vs. the monitors for bikes? I've never seen one of these for a car. I'm just wondering if the batteries are larger in the monitors for cars?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:30 AM »
From what I remember, the battery in my rear wheel started complaining of the cold (just like me), it's first winter, which would have been 2007/2008.  The front wheel didn't start acting up until 2012/2013.  They both got progressively worse and I replaced the battery in the rear this past summer when I had the tire changed out.  I'm thinking the Kwak didn't use current batteries or there was a 'bad' batch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 06:06:44 AM »
I do not know either but it is not a Kawasaki design, nor does Kawasaki supply the batteries. The entire package is purchased from a French company [place joke here] named LDL. Now just recently, Kawasaki has apparently switched suppliers and now uses sensors from Schrader in the US (the sensors themselves are marked Made in USA which you can take any way you would like....). This indicates to me that Kawasaki was also unhappy with the LDL supplied product.

I am sure this has not been a treat for Kawasaki either- I do not know but I suspect the great majority of these sensors have been replaced under warranty which means Kawi is losing money on them twice- the first time by having to provide a sensor free of charge, the second time by having to pay the dealer to install them. Manufacturers do not benefit from warranty work and really do make significant effort to prevent any of that from happening.

All of that said, I still think the price from Kawi is far, far too high for the product. A reasonable mark up is fine, even perhaps a bit of piggishness but 3 or 4 times the full retail cost of the same part available for other vehicles is too much IMO. We will have to wait until this settles out a bit as these new sensors are really brand new but at this moment it looks like Kawi may have cured the unreliability and poor life of these sensors but does seem to be overcharging for them.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 06:24:06 AM »
I do not know either but it is not a Kawasaki design, nor does Kawasaki supply the batteries. The entire package is purchased from a French company [place joke here] named LDOL. Now just recently, Kawasaki has apparently switched suppliers and now uses sensors from Schrader in the US (the sensors themselves are marked Made in USA which you can take any way you would like....). This indicates to me that Kawasaki was also unhappy with the LDOL supplied product.

I am sure this has not been a treat for Kawasaki either- I do not know but I suspect the great majority of these sensors have been replaced under warranty which means Kawi is losing money on them twice- the first time by having to provide a sensor free of charge, the second time by having to pay the dealer to install them. Manufacturers do not benefit from warranty work and really do make significant effort to prevent any of that from happening.

All of that said, I still think the price from Kawi is far, far too high for the product. A reasonable mark up is fine, even perhaps a bit of piggishness but 3 or 4 times the full retail cost of the same part available for other vehicles is too much IMO. We will have to wait until this settles out a bit as these new sensors are really brand new but at this moment it looks like Kawi may have cured the unreliability and poor life of these sensors but does seem to be overcharging for them.

Brian

FIFY

They may not have designed it, but they sure approved it...and they had to write the code to work with it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 06:59:30 AM »

I have said before, it is just stupid for them to start showing low batteries in 2, 3, even 4 years.  Simply put in a larger cell or put in two or more cells.  Lithium has up to a 10 year life.

I'd love to hear an answer to this one.  I went through 3 sets before (the dealer and) I gave up.

Its not rocket science- it is probably just that the battery used is just too small or poor quality or both.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 07:02:13 AM »
Totally agree, Max.  We shouldn't even have to worry about this.  My daughter has a Nissan Sentra and it occasionally has one sensor that complains about the cold weather.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
We will have to wait until this settles out a bit as these new sensors are really brand new but at this moment it looks like Kawi may have cured the unreliability and poor life of these sensors but does seem to be overcharging for them.

But we won't know if the poor life issue is "solved" with the new sensors for several more years.  :(  So can we think anything at all is solved?  The design that requires major work to replace them is the same.  The rip-off pricing is the same.  We know they have now made them anti-tamper so we can't replace the batteries ourselves, which is a huge negative.  I don't see anything positive yet, just negative.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »
Cheer up, Max.  You had a beautiful day yesterday...80 degrees and sunny with some thin clouds.  This morning is  :censored: though, (in Poquoson) doing a sw upgrade.  Just keep thinking sunny thoughts.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 07:45:49 AM »
Cheer up, Max.  You had a beautiful day yesterday...80 degrees and sunny with some thin clouds.  This morning is  :censored: though, (in Poquoson) doing a sw upgrade.  Just keep thinking sunny thoughts.

LOL!!  I had almost added a "I am trying not to be so negative" to the end of that posting.  Then thought, nah, people won't think I am being overly negative.  I guess I was wrong.

Yes, yesterday was freaky weather.  And I did take the bike to my best friend's and wife's house for dinner out and it was a nice 72 degrees.  Unfortunately, the cold front moved in a few hours later and on the way back it was 50 degrees!!  I didn't take all the gear needed and was quite chilled by the time I got back.  It was amazing- we went into the restaurant and came out 90 min later to a 22 degree temperature drop.  Someone else we ran into said it really only took about 20 minutes for the drop to complete.

Now back to the "normal" approaching winter weather (dark, chilly, windy, and wet) for a while.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »
You are right but there is reason to that that the problem (poor lifespan, sensors failing soon after purchase or not working at all on a brand new bike) is solved because these new TMPS sensors are in wide use in cars already. So while new to the C-14, there is a reasonable expectation they will meet the spec's Kawasaki has put down regarding their performance.

The battery thing IS a negative but again, as most people will not actually change the batteries in the current model anyway, I think it is a minor point to most C-14 owners. Sure it sucks for those of us who would change the battery, or have someone else do it, but before too long I think we will see a battery replacement procedure for these new, potted sensors too. It will be more difficult but at least available.

Anyway, from Kawasaki's point of view, as well as what I think are the majority of purchasers point of view, if the new sensors are reliable and will last as long as they are supposed to, then I would consider the basic problem solved. Add into it those of us who want to change the batteries will stick with the older types anyway, and a reasonably happy situation probably covers 98% of the C-14 owners.

Brian

But we won't know if the poor life issue is "solved" with the new sensors for several more years.  :(  So can we think anything at all is solved?  The design that requires major work to replace them is the same.  The rip-off pricing is the same.  We know they have now made them anti-tamper so we can't replace the batteries ourselves, which is a huge negative.  I don't see anything positive yet, just negative.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
did a replacement based on this method, http://blog.mitza.net/2012/03/kawasaki-concours-14-tire-pressure.html

getting the new tire mounted tomorrow afternoon, ill post up if it worked or not, i'm a bit skeptical only because my sensor had a crack in the housing(that i glued) and had a lot or corrosion on the terminals. We will see.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:51 AM »
Glued?

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Glued?

just a dab of super glue on the crack to hold it together

It was a no go I think the sensor is dead. I was getting voltage to the board but like I said there was a lot od corrosion on the terminals so I know moisture hass gotten in there. I gave it the old $4 try. I did call around and a 2 local dealers gave me a quote on replaceing it with programing. One said $100 plus part and the other said $60 plus part. Neither cared where I sourced my part. So ill roll with out it for a bit longer and put it on the todo list.

Offline texrider

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2014, 06:10:13 AM »
I put a new battery in the sensor with every new tire. No problems, and they read out before I get up to 20 mph. 8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline clogan

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
Here's a link to the first part of a 3-part video of a guy changing the batt on a potted TPMS from a C5 Corvette. The video has three parts, but you may decide you've seen enough after this first one.

1997 Corvette Tire Pressure Sensor Battery Replacement Tutorial/Video Part 1

Anyhow, It may be relevant to the new style TPM sensors now in use by KAW. Looks simple enough if you have patience, and like DIY stuff.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400