Author Topic: TPMS options?  (Read 16998 times)

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
TPMS options?
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »
Hey all!  Getting ready to put on a new set of tires, and think thats its about time to do TPMS batteries.  Taking it to the dealer, so the battery mod isn't really feasible.  Are they just changed out as a whole?  If so, whats the (cringe) pricetag? 

Offline Scaffolder

Re: TPMS options?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
I think my dealer said $170 or so. You can find them on ebay cheaper.
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »
Expensive- something like $140 discounted, probably more at the dealer, and then the dealer has to program the bike to recognize the new sensor(s). They seem to be charging 1/2 hour of labor generally to do that. So a tire pressure sensor replacement is an expensive proposition.

Brian

Hey all!  Getting ready to put on a new set of tires, and think thats its about time to do TPMS batteries.  Taking it to the dealer, so the battery mod isn't really feasible.  Are they just changed out as a whole?  If so, whats the (cringe) pricetag?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »
It was pretty easy to change the battery.  I've already done the rear and when the front gets changed out, I'll do that one.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »
Covered under warranty, hence why I paid the 300 bucks for the extension.

You can also send them to Fred, he'll replace the batts for I think $20.

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
i've recently replaced the battery in the front tyre TPMS sensor.
bought 5 of the batteries through ebay for USD7 (excluding shipping).
soldering it on wasn't easy if you didn't buy batteries with the right pins. the ones i bought was the best/closest i could get to make it work. there are links posted by others before on a non-ebay site that sells batteries with the proper pins.

i took out the TPMS sensor while installing a new tyre at the dealers. a couple of weeks later (was waiting for the batteries to arrive), took the front wheel back to the dealer and had the TPMS installed back in the wheel.

Offline pb

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
my local batteries plus has one of those fancy -arch- soldering stations. takes second to have tabs put on most batteries.  :D   Maybe you have on near ya.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
...You can also send them to Fred, he'll replace the batts for I think $20.
Ol Fred . . . :-\
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline spatten

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Hi, new here and don't want to sound like a know-it-all.

With guitar pot grounding you have to sand the surface and the solder takes well.  I'm assuming roughing up the battery surface would help a lot.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
With the batteries I bought (tabs on them), I didn't sand them that I recall and the solder went on well but you make a valid point about cleaning them first, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline spatten

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
I was thinking about making the solder stick if there are no tabs.  With tabs I wouldn't bother to rough it up either.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »

Yours have probably been upgraded to Dilithium Crystal power anyway, and they're giving it all they've got captain!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Not supposed to solder to any battery but especially a lithium cell (think: fire).

Brian

Hi, new here and don't want to sound like a know-it-all.

With guitar pot grounding you have to sand the surface and the solder takes well.  I'm assuming roughing up the battery surface would help a lot.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »

ZG, I just bought a 3 year warranty extension for $339. on my '09 (bought in 2010). What's the procedure for getting the TPMS replaced under warranty from the dealer? Did it take any badgering, and did you wait until you needed new tires to avoid the tire labor involved? 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »
ZG, I just bought a 3 year warranty extension for $339. on my '09 (bought in 2010). What's the procedure for getting the TPMS replaced under warranty from the dealer? Did it take any badgering, and did you wait until you needed new tires to avoid the tire labor involved?

No badgering at all, it's covered under the warranty.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »

+1 I took a picture of my TPMS when it wasn't working and told my Kawasaki tech that it wasn't working. He said that the picture wasn't needed and he ordered the parts and let me know when they came in. Covered under warranty.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »
It's been pretty chilly (40 and below) here in the mornings for the last two weeks or so. My rear TPM is giving me the low battery warning even though I had it replaced under warranty last year. The warning goes away in less than 5 minutes though. I'll live with it till I need a new rear tire and then see about getting it replaced under my extended warranty.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Anybody know what the shelf life of these batteries are? Bought them last Feb and the label from Digi-Key says 21-Jan-2013. Intended to install them at a tire change in April but as the weather warmed up the warning went away. Now that cold mornings are back I'm getting the VERY annoying low battery warning again. I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get new batteries if needed if I'm going to invest a couple of hours to dismount tires (I have a tire machine). But I'm thinking if the original batteries lasted 3 years, these should be ok for at least another 2 years. Would like to hear if anyone has knowledge about the shelf life. They are Panasonic CR-2032L/F with tabs.

Update: my RadioShack digital multimeter sez they are 3.23V. So I'm thinking these are still good to go.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »

Keep in mind Jay spends a TON of money at this dealer. They would probably wash his bike every other day if he asked them to.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
Keep in mind Jay spends a TON of money at this dealer. They would probably wash his bike every other day if he asked them to.  ;D

:-[