Author Topic: HIGH OCTANE OR REGULAR?  (Read 16988 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: HIGH OCTANE OR REGULAR?
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »

Warm water ruined that video, and also looks like some ethanol might be in that water.

Ruined? Naw, the only thing that could ruin that video is not being able to see it.   :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
Three pages on fuel choice

Let's get back to the GoPro girls

http://youtu.be/J7koehRPuAY

See, this is exactly the point of running higher octane. The people in the video must be running lower octane fuel. High octane fuel helps prevent knocking and pinging and I see a lot of knockers in the video.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
See, this is exactly the point of running higher octane. The people in the video must be running lower octane fuel. High octane fuel helps prevent knocking and pinging and I see a lot of knockers in the video.

:rotflmao:   :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

Based on that I should be running LOW octane! I do NOT want to keep the knockers away, none that look like that anyways.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
Based on that I should be running LOW octane! I do NOT want to keep the knockers away, none that look like that anyways.

:chugbeer: :thumbs:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Ruined? Naw, the only thing that could ruin that video is not being able to see it.   :P
It's ruined - I am camping at a State Park and the video is blocked by their wireless system.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Oh great, yet another gas thread.

Premium only.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
okay- i see there are a few who burn regular. as i mentioned to rhino- one of the main reasons i like to use regular is because i can ride with my harley buds, have more power and get better mileage, and pull up to the pumps and fill up with just regular. its just me - some of the harley guys are okay, but others need a reminder that they're not gods just because they spent twice as much on a bike that won't last half as long, burning...premium.  mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »
What is your question?

Also keep in mind that for you (us) people with mandatory oxygenated (10% ethanol) gasolines, the effective octane is higher than the rated octane, so 87 oxygenated actually performs like 91.

Confused by the statement.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

devilboy

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
Just have about 1200 miles in my first month of ownership... bad disc in back has held  my miles down.
I have used 93 exclusively. Only thing on break in recommendations is to give bike a chance to warm up each time I started it for the first 1K. once warm.. rev the crap out of it.. break it in the way you plan on riding it.. I might try 91 if I see it but most of Florida is 87 reg  89 mid and 93 Premium.. so a couple pennies more for the 93 wont break me.. BUT  you only need the octane that prevents the bike from pinging or knocking. anything over that number is wasted money...also replaced air filter with K&N and get better airflow in   . I wont change the potato launcher without a fuel controller..

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »
Premium for me.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:14 AM »
I run premium in everything I own right down to my lawn mower and weed eater. The cost is negligible.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
I enjoyed a lot reading these posts. This question is irrelevant if you live in Brazil. The state where I live, a huge one, has only one place that sells Podium, the highest octane fuel, they say, and indicated by the manual. This place is about 1,5 miles from home and, whyle here, I always use. It's more expensive, but, for my bike, the best. At the road, I have to use the fuel that is available, I mean red, green or brown, because, if I had to drive until I reach a good one, better go by car. When possible, the Shell fuel, here named V-Power, is my second choice. Premium is almost impossible to get.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
I run premium in everything I own right down to my lawn mower and weed eater. The cost is negligible.

As has been mentioned before, if an engine does not call for higher-octane, it should not be used in that engine.  Not only is it a waste of money, but the engine will perform worse.  (It is a marketing gimmick to call it "Premium"- such names should never have been allowed)

That said, I sometimes to use higher-octane in my small devices (lawn mower, generator, etc) ONLY because my car and bike both require high-octane and it can be a pain when I go out to get gas and have to fill the car, then stop and start a whole new transaction just to fill a portable gas can.  Usually I do start another transaction, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »

Also keep in mind that for you (us) people with mandatory oxygenated (10% ethanol) gasolines, the effective octane is higher than the rated octane, so 87 oxygenated actually performs like 91.

Confused by the statement.

Yes, ethanol blend gasoline knocks less at a given rated octane.  The reason for this is a) ethanol has a higher octane rating to begin with, and b) ISO test engines do not represent real world engine operational characteristics, particularly for high revving engines.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
89 octane for me here in NY.

Offline texrider

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »
Regular unleaded, always. Doesn't matter what they claim the octane to be. If it's sold as a motor fuel, I'm all over it!  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
As has been mentioned before, if an engine does not call for higher-octane, it should not be used in that engine.  Not only is it a waste of money, but the engine will perform worse.  (It is a marketing gimmick to call it "Premium"- such names should never have been allowed)

That said, I sometimes to use higher-octane in my small devices (lawn mower, generator, etc) ONLY because my car and bike both require high-octane and it can be a pain when I go out to get gas and have to fill the car, then stop and start a whole new transaction just to fill a portable gas can.  Usually I do start another transaction, though.

I use it because my dirtbike uses it and it's what I have in my can that is used to fill everything.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline katata1100

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
I only use 91 premium (highest we get in the west) in my lawn mower,'91 katana and spare can. Even though lawn mower and katana call for only 87, the gas in the tank can be sitting there for months and gas, as it ages, loses its octane.