Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 890083 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2580 on: November 29, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
Our temps were in the low 60's today, so I took advantage of the dry roads, and did my supposed final fillup of high octane juice, and a liberal dose of marine Stabil for winter storage, whilst engaging in my last (maybe) tag grab of the year for ADV tag o Rama..
Being on the shore of lake Erie, you get it when the gettin is good... bike is rolled into winter position now, can be removed if needed, but I'm thinking we were blessed here to get this far without a foot of snow...
We will see... snowblower has been moved into "ready position... wish I had a bigger staack of fire wood, but with the last full month of rain we had, the truck was not going back into the woods for any reason... last time I did that it was a come along, tug strap, and chains ordeal for 6 hours to extract it...

2 wheel drive trucks suck.. and my 4wd is sitting waiting again, for me to get it running... arggggg... wheel barrow and lots of manual labor for wood movement now... meh...

Ride safe y'all.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tomp

« Reply #2581 on: November 29, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
I've read many similar posts on other bike forums recently, and it's still Greek to me.  Preparing for winter to me, means finally turning off the AC unit in the house, and expecting a smaller Electric Bill for the next few months.  Winter usually brings more chances for rain, and added to cooler weather, makes for funky riding conditions, but in between the wet, we can ride. 

Hope all northern riders have a great winter, and please post up any changes made to your bikes, during the down time... tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2582 on: November 29, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
I've read many similar posts on other bike forums recently, and it's still Greek to me.  Preparing for winter to me, means finally turning off the AC unit in the house, and expecting a smaller Electric Bill for the next few months.  Winter usually brings more chances for rain, and added to cooler weather, makes for funky riding conditions, but in between the wet, we can ride. 

Hope all northern riders have a great winter, and please post up any changes made to your bikes, during the down time... tomp

Or you could be in the middle, like me.   We don't have to winterize vehicles, but it is still kinda bleak.  Winter seems dark, cold, windy, and often wet (like there).  Rarely snowy, since too near the ocean.  Wind chill is just brutal, even when the temps aren't all that low.  Thankfully it is usually not too cold to do some riding through at least 2/3 of the winter, although when it starts getting in the 30's (like it has a few times already this month), I am usually done with it all.  Rarely lower than the upper 20's, although there are always exceptions.

And yet I will be the first to complain about the 98/100+ degree summer days along with the infinitely high humidity.  It seems like we have so little inbetween!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #2583 on: November 29, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »

And yet I will be the first to complain about the 98/100+ degree summer days along with the infinitely high humidity.  It seems like we have so little inbetween!
Same here, yet it wasn't as bad this summer than it's been in the past.  For me though, I can get cool much easier than get warm, so I'll take the summer, over the winter any time.  tomp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2584 on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
Same here, yet it wasn't as bad this summer than it's been in the past.

Agreed.  Unusually mild summer.

For me though, I can get cool much easier than get warm, so I'll take the summer, over the winter any time.

I will say that in the winter and then completely backtrack and say the opposite in the summer.  Oh, such duplicity....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2585 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »
Pulled all the plastic from the front end and did a coolant change, tightened the exhaust header nuts, and did an oil change too while I had it pulled apart. 20 degrees in the garage at the time.   :_shudder_Emoticon
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2586 on: December 08, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
Did you bring it in the house to warm up the oil?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2587 on: December 08, 2016, 04:56:17 AM »
Did you bring it in the house to warm up the oil?

As a matter of fact I did. Just the oil and coolant that is. Oh yeah, I did the rear end gear lube as well. That 75-90 is a little thick at that temp.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2588 on: December 08, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
Pulled all the plastic from the front end and did a coolant change, tightened the exhaust header nuts, and did an oil change too while I had it pulled apart. 20 degrees in the garage at the time.   :_shudder_Emoticon

Brrr that's cold to be wrenching on stuff. My garage in CO was under the master bedroom and mostly (not always) above freezing even on really cold days. When I had to do some work in there in the winter I would use a Lasko quartz heater and full winter Carrharts overalls.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2589 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
Brrr that's cold to be wrenching on stuff. My garage in CO was under the master bedroom and mostly (not always) above freezing even on really cold days. When I had to do some work in there in the winter I would use a Lasko quartz heater and full winter Carrharts overalls.

My garage is unattached and unheated, it's insulated though. I had my long underwear on, top and bottom, under my clothes and I was comfortable enough. Gotta be vewy vewy careful with those plastic faring tabs at that temp though..

I planed on doing all that a couple of weeks ago when it was still warm enough to ride. Except that I was riding.    :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2590 on: January 28, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Rode 300 miles to South Hill, VA and back.  Needed to charge the battery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2591 on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Rode 300 miles to South Hill, VA and back.  Needed to charge the battery.

Yours or the bike's, or both?

Offline tomp

« Reply #2592 on: January 28, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »
Went out today and it was windy and around 50.  Just no fun, so I made under 10 miles...  I know, wussy southern boy ...I can ride in the heat, but don't like COLD, at all.  tp

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2593 on: January 29, 2017, 06:32:18 AM »
Yours or the bike's, or both?

Actually both.  Winter is depressing me and I needed to get out.  I've discovered I need grip heaters.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #2594 on: January 29, 2017, 06:42:37 AM »
Actually both.  Winter is depressing me and I needed to get out.  I've discovered I need grip heaters.

I agree Jim. Today we wont get to 60 degrees. Very depressing!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2595 on: January 29, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
Actually both.  Winter is depressing me and I needed to get out.

Yep, too dark and dreary.  I tend to ride all year round, as long as it is not below freezing or wet.  But when it is really cold (30's/40's) I tend to limit it to just the hour ride to/from a friend's house once a week.

I've discovered I need grip heaters.

I wouldn't be able to handle 30's/40's without grip heaters and heated vest.  Low 50's would be hard too.  The stock C14 heated grips are so powerful/effective, I wear 3-season gloves (vented) even in the winter and that is with grip puppies covering the grips.  Heated seat is nice, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

For me, continuous mid/low 40's riding requires insulated socks, long underwear, jeans, chaps, long shirt, heated vest, full liner, jacket, neck wrap.  It is hard to move :)  Continuous 30's riding I can't do for long, because my lower clothing is just not effective enough and my heat is sucked away.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2596 on: January 29, 2017, 08:03:03 AM »
40's, 50's, and 60 degrees? Oh you poor things!    :o    :_shudder_Emoticon

My thermometer says 20 at the moment. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:49:45 AM by Conrad »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2597 on: January 29, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »
40's, 50's, and 60 degrees? Oh your poor things!    :o    :_shudder_Emoticon

My thermometer says 20 at the moment.

Yeah, and I don't see your ass out there riding right now :)  LOL   :battle:   :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2598 on: January 29, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
His bike is all put up for the winter... :rotflmao:   But then again, his winter is way worse than ours.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2599 on: January 29, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
Yeah, and I don't see your ass out there riding right now :)  LOL   :battle:   :rotflmao:

That's true and you won't see my ass out there riding either till the roads around here turn black again, or at least gray. They use SO DAMNED much salt around here that the roads are almost completely white with it. I can literally taste the salt in the air from all the salt dust that gets kicked up as folks drive on it.

! No longer available