Author Topic: Dark Tinting the Headlights  (Read 14776 times)

Offline Sea Level

Dark Tinting the Headlights
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
2011 Ebony-on-black. The only thing I don't like about the bike is having to get off.    ;D

So, I'm giving her a bath this evening and looking at her head-on, I'm thinking that having all that glass tinted darkly would look really nice. I think there was a thread about this in the old forum (may it rest in peace) but I can't recall what solutions or ideas may have been advanced. I passed a black Dodge Avenger today that had it's headlights either tinted or covered over with a sized tinted panel and it was sharp. That's what I want for my Connie.

Any thoughts?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Dark Tinting the Headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
My question would be........why?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
I don't know that I would ever consider anything like this as it would dim the headlights too much and I am sure it's not legal anywhere either. Why give the police another reason to pull you over?

I have been behind people with tinted taillights and it's horrible when all of a sudden they are stopped and you didn't even know they had the brakes on because the tint doesn't allow you to see the red...
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »

I explained why in my post. I think it would look sharp. Some folks like to powdercoat their wheels black, some like to paint over their windscreens. I wanna tint over my headlights.

If it couldn't be done without diminishing the output of the lights or were illegal, than it can't be done, period. But if it can be done, I'd like to know how.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Sea Level, I don't know how, but it would be cool (way cool) to have it darken.  Like you said, if its illegal or just don't allow the headlights to come through then I guess not.

Why?  Why ask why?  Its like people have 26" wheels on a car, or having 6 x 16" subwoofers inside a car...

If you have to ask why...you don't get it!  Sorry. 8)
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »

1) because the world needs one more riding in squid style?

2) its good to be king of the sonic parking lot?

3) its better if head lights are less effective?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline con05

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »
Here in New Hampshire it is not legal. They won't even let us put tinted headlight shields on our snowmobiles.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »
Tinting the headlights in any way, shape or form is illegal in most states, as are tinted covers.  Not only does it diminish your ability to see ahead of you, but it also reeks havoc for oncoming drivers as the dimmer appearance makes them think you're further away than you actually are.

Best to check with your local laws before doing anything as it's a "gimme" for the cops to add to add their collection plate.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »
Tinting the headlights in any way, shape or form is illegal in most states, as are tinted covers.  Not only does it diminish your ability to see ahead of you, but it also reeks havoc for oncoming drivers as the dimmer appearance makes them think you're further away than you actually are.

Best to check with your local laws before doing anything as it's a "gimme" for the cops to add to add their collection plate.

great post.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
Looks like we have a couple of citizen polices...

I'm sure you have never:

1) go over your speed limit 
2) riding while your tires are below the limit
3) passing someone on the right lane

Please...don't act like you are perfect...because you ain't! 

:grouphug:
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »

I'm sure you have never:

who in this thread is acting perfect? he asked for advice and a few threw some out.....  no one is perfect but KiPass comes close  8)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »

I know I never said I was perfect and don't do any of those things, just saying why give the police another reason to pull you over. The more reasons you give them, the more inclined they are to actually do it.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »

I'm sure you have never:

I do everything you listed when I ride except have my tire pressure too low, and oncoming traffic can see me cause my headlights are not tinted. ;) I'm all for making a bike/car your own, but doing something that will make you less visible and might attract the attention of the police........nadda gonna happen.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Shoe

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
Any thoughts?

Some people have no taste.  ::)
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
Look at the 2012 Gold Wing, it appears that the headlights lenses are black tinted, but they are not, the chrome panels in the rear of the headlights are. that might be a solution for what you want to accomplish.
http://powersports.honda.com/2012/gold-wing/performance.aspx

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »
Some people have no taste.  ::)

You really telling me I have no taste because I think blackening out the headlights would look good? Seriously? I see a few legitimate reasons mentioned above for not doing it, and I thank you guys for your input. But telling me I have "no taste" because I think it would like good is a reflection on you, my friend, not me.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
Me, I like to minimize my exposure so I pick and choose what rules to break and what not to break.  Speed trumps bling every time.

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »
I like the idea as well, what if you did like cat eyes or something to that effect? Make a template place the template over the lights get you some spray tint and give it a like coating. Where you place the templates would be clear and the rest would have tint.

Just thinking outside the box, give the ability to have an awesome look while still have a section untouched...the cat eye thing was just a thought, you could do all kinds of cool shapes.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
I`m not sure about the Headlights.
But IMO the turn signal look great
Smoke light from clearalternative

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
Tinting your headlight reducing your ability to see the road and on-coming objects in the road is the most insane idea I have ever heard of!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want the most light man can put on the bike....safety, safety, safety..especially to me~
Ninjawarrior