Author Topic: Who is going to be the first to try the new windscreen on an older model 14?  (Read 23445 times)

Offline SimpleSimon

I'm a function over form guy.  If it reduces any buffeting behind the screen, I'll pay the $300.  I don't think it looks that bad actually. 
2008 Concours 14
2002 954RR

Offline jwolffie

In this review: http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2015-kawasaki-concours-14-abs-road-test-review.htm/
they said the wind screen will fit the older models.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:41:34 PM by maxtog »
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

elp_jc

As a comment, just found out something weird about the new windscreen. Transport company asked me for dimensions of the bike, so went to Kawasaki and this is what the specs say about height (min with screen down, and max, with screen fully up):

2014: 50.8" to 57.7"
2015: 52.9" to 57.7".

So the new screen is over 2" taller VERTICALLY (so probably quite a bit longer than 2", since it's angled) when fully down. That's A LOT. Better to shield rider from wind, but that means cooking in summer (vent is for aerodynamics). What doesn't make sense is being the same height fully up. Unless Kawi reduced the travel on the mechanism, probably an error. Just wanted to point it out. And yes, I'll order the CooperDawg regardless of year, but seems I'll end up with a new '13 (expecting call to close the deal today... or tomorrow). Have a good one.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
As a comment, just found out something weird about the new windscreen. Transport company asked me for dimensions of the bike, so went to Kawasaki and this is what the specs say about height (min with screen down, and max, with screen fully up):

2014: 50.8" to 57.7"
2015: 52.9" to 57.7".

So the new screen is over 2" taller VERTICALLY (so probably quite a bit longer than 2", since it's angled) when fully down. That's A LOT. Better to shield rider from wind, but that means cooking in summer (vent is for aerodynamics). What doesn't make sense is being the same height fully up. Unless Kawi reduced the travel on the mechanism, probably an error.

I have a feeling it is either a typo or just wrong.  I can't imagine they would artificially limit the windscreen travel.  I guess we won't know for sure until someone gets a 2015 and measures the thing up and down.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

I have a feeling it is either a typo or just wrong.  I can't imagine they would artificially limit the windscreen travel.
That's my guess too... unless due to the larger screen, Kawi reduced the travel to avoid the mechanism breaking, since it's pretty marginal already, no? Read of several broken mechanisms at speed with larger aftermarket screens. One thing is for sure: new windscreen is definitely larger (and seems wider as well); saw a picture of a 2015 and compared it to a 2014, and the screen looks huge by comparison. We'll find out for sure soon enough.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Successfully test fit a newly acquired OEM 2015 vented windshield to my 2010 C14, so YES it does fit! Final answer. :thumbs: :banana  :D

Let us know how it works out.

I doubt I'm the first, but I promised to report back on mine mounted on a '10 C14, so here it is.

This is the first time I've noticed an improvement in a windshield install since I tried the large Aeroflow that is in the "try a windshield for free" large group. It was almost as good as the 2015 OEM screen but I thought it was too fugly and wobbly for me. I usually ride with the windshield fully lowered and with a top X-Screen spoiler tilted forward. I find that the spoiler collects most of the bugs and keeps them off of my visor without causing any buffeting. I only raise my screen in the rain; when I've forgotten my earplugs; or when I get a phone call to help the microphone with background noise. I never have a buffeting problem with any screen when raised except in strong cross winds or when following some trucks (too closely  :-[ ). My windshield problem has always been back pressure in the raised position, it's like having a passenger behind me pushing my head forward when ever I raise the screen. This one does the same when raised until I open the vent and then it is 90-95% reduced. I've tried cutting  various holes and even the Madstad C14 bracket (which flowed a ton of air behind the screen) with the '10 OEM shield, but nothing helped except the Aeroflow and now the 2015 OEM shield. I just tried it on a trip to Wisconsin and it worked great for me. It is difficult to open when riding but it is possible.

The screw thread sizes are the same as the previous years, except that the socket caps all are now the same size, so only one hex wrench is needed to remove the six through mounting screws and the two cover screws.  When the screen first came out I toyed with the idea of purchasing the hardware and just cutting my '10 screen to fit, but that would not have worked as the '15 screen has a significant protruding lip at the top of the vent. The screen is also thicker at the top of the mounting area, as seen in the labeled photo below. Overall the screen is the same thickness as the previous years except in the mounting area. Height and width are the same as the Gen II screens. Using the '15 screen on my '10 C14 seemed to work fine. I have the clamp on X-screen spoiler at the top so mine is even a little heavier than it would normally be. I haven't weighed it yet to compare the weight difference with the '10 OEM screen, but I'll get to that when I take it off to paint it black. I also have a dash shelf, so that may have some affect on how it works, but I wouldn't know if it is a positive or a negative affect (effect?..I always mess that up) The vent is sized large enough to potentially let in a medium bird (a dove sized bird, but maybe not a fat pigeon) so my dash shelf should probably stop it from coming straight through unimpeded.

I purchased mine from a friend that had a black '15, so part of the cover is painted to match his bike. I may eventually get some Colorite spray cans and try my hand at rattle-canning it Candy Neptune Blue. Maybe.... someday.... maybe.  ::)

Too many photos, must be ZG's influence.
(click pic for full size)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:01:31 AM by fartymarty »

Offline BruceR

• Arena
I read in one of the moto mags that Kawasaki does not recommend retrofitting the new shield onto the older bikes due to the increased weight.  It stresses the mechanisms or something.  I don't know if they're just being overly cautious, like the weight restrictions on the rear rack, or what.  How much more weight can it really be, though?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
I read in one of the moto mags that Kawasaki does not recommend retrofitting the new shield onto the older bikes due to the increased weight.  It stresses the mechanisms or something.  I don't know if they're just being overly cautious, like the weight restrictions on the rear rack, or what.  How much more weight can it really be, though?

I'll get back to you on that. Seems like the aerodynamic load would put more stress on the mechanism than even a double weight windshield could.

Most likely won't be covered by extended warranty if I do break the mechanism, but I think I'd just fix it myself with a more robust design anyway so...time will tell.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Another little hidden update....beefed up the windscreen mechanism?  I wonder if that's an easy retrofit?  Used, of course.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

Thanks for the info on the 2015 screen. Very good to know. Did you or who you bought it from have to buy extra parts. Like the black pieces that help mount the screen down. Id he give you the bigger plastic pieces?
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Just my opinion but I do not believe the weight of the windshield would really be the cause of an overload of the windshield supports, I think the larger windshield, traveling through roiled air, at high vehicle speed, such as when passing large trucks on the highway, would be the real source of excess stress. A few folks have had the windshield support(s) fail over the years but as I remember, they were always using large windshields. That said, there seem to be a lot of C-14's running large if not outright huge windshields without much in the way of problems.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Thanks for the info on the 2015 screen. Very good to know. Did you or who you bought it from have to buy extra parts. Like the black pieces that help mount the screen down. Id he give you the bigger plastic pieces?

He gave me all the pieces from his 2015, but he had to get pre-'15 pieces to mount his replacement tall Cee Bailey screen on his '15 model. I don't remember if he purchased them, or just happened to save them from his previous (wrecked) C14.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Just my opinion but I do not believe the weight of the windshield would really be the cause of an overload of the windshield supports, I think the larger windshield, traveling through roiled air, at high vehicle speed, such as when passing large trucks on the highway, would be the real source of excess stress. A few folks have had the windshield support(s) fail over the years but as I remember, they were always using large windshields. That said, there seem to be a lot of C-14's running large if not outright huge windshields without much in the way of problems.

Brian
Well, apparently Kawasaki thinks you shouldn't use the screen.  The quote in the motomag was from KHI.  Now, I also think it's due to the forces placed one the mounts from the larger screens, but I'm running a Calsci large with no (yet) apparent ill effects.  So YMMV.  I was just relaying info, not saying don't use it.  I'd be curious to know if the new mechanism has different mounts.  If so, would they be a worthwhile cost to add to the pre-2015 models for us guys pushing a barn door windshield down the road?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
If so, would they be a worthwhile cost to add to the pre-2015 models for us guys pushing a barn door windshield down the road?

Since the price is so extreme, it might be interesting to see if one of the aftermarket shops start copying the design...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Well, apparently Kawasaki thinks you shouldn't use the screen.  The quote in the motomag was from KHI.  Now, I also think it's due to the forces placed one the mounts from the larger screens, but I'm running a Calsci large with no (yet) apparent ill effects.  So YMMV.  I was just relaying info, not saying don't use it.  I'd be curious to know if the new mechanism has different mounts.  If so, would they be a worthwhile cost to add to the pre-2015 models for us guys pushing a barn door windshield down the road?

Couldn't say for sure but the assembly has a different part number for 2015.

Not likely, the assembly is over $700.00. Might be better to just modify the one you have to strengthen it, or find a wrecked '15 model and swap out the assembly (if it's undamaged) of find the parts that may be upgraded and install them in your assembly.

Offline Turbodoc

• 2012 Connie
There are more affordable and effective windscreens out there for the C14.  I replaced the cheap screen on my 2012 C14 after 500 miles with a VStream.  I am not fond of its looks, don't dislike it, but different.  1 " or so taller and does funnel wind away from hands and helmet. Stock bars.  No buffeting of helmet at speeds up to 120 mph when up (extended).  The screen top edges do flex however at speeds of 80mph and above.  But no effect on the rider.  I am 6'2" tall and when 3/4 the way up, silence behind the shield like BMWs RTs in the 80's.  Has special coating and cannot clean with Plexis like agents--water only.  No distortion at all.  Low enough for summer riding.  I would recommend it for any long distance tourers for sure.  So far after 7000 miles, no sand pits and I would purchase again.  Installs 15 minutes.  So far, even though bigger than stock, no strain on mechanism detected and lowers and raises efficiently at speed.   I have 55 years of motorcycling experience and >250K miles logged.  Good purchase.    Turbodoc

Offline borntoride63

hi to all, I have the 2015 windscreen and brackets if anyone is interested. I bought a cee baileys euro short screen (dark tint) I had to buy 2014 pieces to mount.

Offline skidder008

Well, I just mounted the vent to a Cee Bailey's Extra Tall Ultra Tour windshield.  Will have to wait till the snow is gone before I can let you know what the scoop is.  Had to do a little work to build out a lip for the top of the vent, but it turned out great. 

I've read a few comments about the recommendation from Kawi.  Frankly, I've been driving down the road and put 50K kms on this bike with (as someone else said earlier) a barn door on the front of it.  I can't see how reducing the vacuum behind the windshield would increase the stress.  I would have thought it would decrease it...but hey, I'm not an aeronautical engineer so we'll just have to see how it all works out.

Anyway, here's some pics for you.  It took about 2 hours to install.  A few recommendations - measure 10 times, cut small the first time, and expand out from there.  As I said earlier, it turned out as good as I could have hoped for.

Cheers...

Skidder

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Well, I just mounted the vent to a Cee Bailey's Extra Tall Ultra Tour windshield.

I am impressed.  That probably took a long time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Welcome to the forum, Skidder. Looks like a clean install. Would it be possible for you to post a parts list for anyone wanting to do the mod?

By the way, what are those two pods with what looks like three leds on top of the dash in the third picture?