Author Topic: Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike  (Read 24668 times)

Offline Armyguns

Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
I'm headed for Guhl Motors by 7AM tomorrow.  Don and I spoke earlier today and he asked if I could be there around 9AM.  Mapquest says 91 miles, 1 hr 51 minutes.   PSYCHED!   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
Cool.  Keep us updated.  Also ask Don re: status of 08/09 reflash.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
Really can't wait to hear the results of this.

Offline Armyguns

WAS: Guhl Motors ECU Reflash Donor Bike NOW: reflash done
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
I was with Don and Rob from Guhl Motors yesterday.  Fred H. has asked me to share my thoughts with all of you.

First, on Guhl Motors.  I'm glad that Don described their location, otherwise I think I would have had a tough time finding them.  Non-descript metal building behind an outdoor equipment retailer.  I arrived a couple minutes before our agreed to time of 9AM and met Rob and Don.  They gave me a run down on the business and Don explained what his intended approach was for the day.  I immediately felt comfortable with them and their systematic approach to baselining performance and incrementally changing parameters. 

We got the bike strapped onto the dyno and in short order they made the first of six of the pulls for the day.   Don was very patient in allowing me to look over their shoulder and ask questions and take notes.  The first pull was for top speed, with a HP of 131.3 and torque of 89.4 in fifth gear.   I do know that Don seemed really excited to absolutely determine the factory 155MPH speed limiter.

Between the first and second pull, he reflashed the ECU to remove the speed limiter and he shifted the opening of the secondaries by four cells (to the left).  Fuel was left as is.  The second pull showed a top speed of 193MPH.  HP went to 132.5, and torque increased to 91.70.  NOTE:  NO changes to the amount of fuel were made.  The only thing that changed (aside from removing the speed limiter) between the first and second pull was a shift in the point at which the secondaries open.  The amount they opened stayed exactly the same.   

Don felt that he wanted to try going richer on the fuel expecting an overall performance increase. He felt that although the ratio on the sensor looked OK, he could squeeze a bit more performance out of it.  He applied a 5% across the board increase and made another pull.  Torque DROPPED to 91.24 and it seems like I didn't record HP but it was lower.  It was around this time that Don called Fred H. and they talked for the first time, but not the last time of the day. 

Seeing the the decrease in performance, he went 10% lean (from the initial adjustment, or 5% lean from stock) and both HP and torque went back up, 133.77 and 91.91 respectively.  He was pleased with that but still did not like the performance above 8K RPM.  The charts clearly showed it was WAY rich.  He changed fuel settings at 9K to -11%, at 9500 to -16% and at 10K to -20%.  He also changed a setting at between 3 and 4K of 2 or 3% and did two additional pulls.  Both of these pulls were 5% lean from stock, except for the 9K and above range and the 3-4 K range as just described.  First pull results indicate 133.60 and 91.91.  Second pull was 133.52 and 90.61 which is what I believe is reflected in the screen shots he provided, which I've attached.  Across the board, the torque is higher with these settings, and there is no weird stuff going on above the 8K RPM range.

He asked me to take it for a spin and let him know how it felt by seat of the pants.  Not being familiar with the local roads or the local police, I was a bit limited in what I felt comfortable trying.  However, my initial thought was that this bike has NEVER pulled as hard as it was then.  I tried roll-ons in every gear and it just PULLED, hard.  I always considered the bike fast, but this is different.  The changes Don made greatly improved roll on power.  I wasn't really aware that it was lacking in that area, but once you have the mod done, the difference is pretty clear.  I think this is going to be very helpful especially when riding two up.

It's a 100 mile ride back home from his place, with the vast majority of it on 2 lane highways, and a couple miles on interstate.  I played with 4th, 5th, and 6th gear roll-ons and there is no question about the changes being a big improvement.  This isn't a quantum leap in performance, but it is very noticeable.

I asked Don where he feels he is in terms of marketing this re-map.  He is certain that this is THE map for installation on a stock bike.  If you DO NOT have aftermarket exhaust or air filters, or have removed the secondaries, this is the one you would get.  I told him that I would be posting this information and that he should probably be prepared to start getting some calls.  Right now, the only way to get this mod is to send in the ECU or take the bike to them.  He is working on a plug and play remap interface, but I am not sure how long it would be before that is available. 

I've offered my bike to Don in the future if he wants to try anything more.  Don also offered up that if I do mod anything else (air filter, exhaust, etc.,) he'd run the bike again in order to develop maps for them.

I had hoped to get some two-up riding in the next couple of days to make an assessment but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.   As soon as I do, I will post an update.

Time for some new tires.  1100 mostly high speed highway miles in the past week plus those dyno pulls yesterday pretty well toasted the rear! It's got 4300 on it now.   I've ordered a set of the PR3's and they will be installed on Thursday.  Absolutely need them before heading to Maryland next Saturday to take the ARC Level 2 class. 

I hope I've adequately explained things! 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »
193 is impressive.  Whats with the error message on the speedo shot?

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
You get that error when only one wheel is spinning. It's the traction control throwing a fit.  ;D
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
Sounds like all it did was the same thing as pulling the flies accomplishes.  Well that and removing the speed limiter.  Of course 193 is just a pipe dream when you're actually pushing air.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
I know you are not going to like me saying this, and I hope you won't take it wrong, but I don't know how you could possibly feel that little difference.  I've been around fast vehicles for a long, long time and I see a lot of people who feel what they want to feel based upon the money or effort they put into some sort of changes.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
Sounds like all it did was the same thing as pulling the flies accomplishes.  Well that and removing the speed limiter.  Of course 193 is just a pipe dream when you're actually pushing air.

Re: Pulling flies.  Perhaps, but the concensus of folks is that the flies are there for a reason.  If one chooses to pull them, have at it.  I'll keep mine in (for now).  We now know what can be done with a stock bike by moving the point at which they open and by leaning out the fuel.  I guess the next step would be to examine the curves (torque and HP) in all of the gears not just 5th.  I'd really like to continue this exploration and systematically do each gear, then add an exhaust system, then air filter, etc.  But do it in a systematic approach to be able to identify the performance increase of each addition.  For now, I'm satisfied.

Re: 193 MPH.  That number came off the dyno, not the speedometer. Since we were not sure where it was going to top out at, I snapped the picture once the needle was above 180.  You are correct that once friction (tires to road, and bike/rider to air) is factored in the bike will top out much lower.  What that number is is irrelevant to me- I'll NEVER see it.  I run out of testosterone (and road) long before I run out of acceleration!   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
I know you are not going to like me saying this, and I hope you won't take it wrong, but I don't know how you could possibly feel that little difference.  I've been around fast vehicles for a long, long time and I see a lot of people who feel what they want to feel based upon the money or effort they put into some sort of changes.

OK.  No offense taken.  However, I don't believe the peak HP tells all the story.  It's the fattening of the curve across the band that I believe makes the difference.  As far as investment, all I've got in it to get this far is a 100 mile drive and a couple of hours of my time.  I'm semi-retired so time isn't that much of a factor for me.  I've got no ego or other 'vested interest' involved. I went there with the expressed intention of getting DATA, hard data, collected in systematic manner.  In the process, I've provided a lot of great data for people like Guhl Motors and Fred H, both of who have probably forgotten more about this than I'll ever know.  If, based on these data, the ECU reflash doesn't interest you, at least it will be based on data. 

2010 C14 ABS

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »
Dyno charts will show any fattening of the curve.  I don't know why this is an issue.  Will somebody dyno one and post the charts?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 02:45:28 PM »
Dyno charts will show any fattening of the curve.  I don't know why this is an issue.  Will somebody dyno one and post the charts?

Yikes, nevermind.  I saw a chart.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »

Looking at the charts above I'm not seeing anything in the curves to indicate a meaningful improvement anywhere.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »
FWIW, dyno charts do not show the responsiveness of an engine.  Typically, it is one long pull at full throttle.  That will not necessarily show what will happen when going from partial to full throttle at various rpms. 

It would take some specialized pulls with response time showing to show on a chart what is easily felt on the road.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
FWIW, dyno charts do not show the responsiveness of an engine.  Typically, it is one long pull at full throttle.  That will not necessarily show what will happen when going from partial to full throttle at various rpms. 

It would take some specialized pulls with response time showing to show on a chart what is easily felt on the road.

I do agree with that.  But it makes a bike feel more responsive, which is good, but it really doesn't make it feel faster.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Hmm. Since I already have my flies out, I would be more interested in seeing what improvements could be made to the ignition timing. I'd like to see a flies-out dyno pull in each gear to see if our bikes are restricted by anything other than the flies in the lower gears. Fueling can be changed by a power commander, so other than the people who are insistant on keeping their flies in, so far I don't see much advantage to going the reflash route.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
I do agree with that.  But it makes a bike feel more responsive, which is good, but it really doesn't make it feel faster.
I don't think we are that far off.  It doesn't look like the reflash would dramatically improve 1/4 mile or 0-60 times.  OTOH, I believe roll-on times would improve across the board.  S/b easy enough to document.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
I'm cross posting my response to the TRE Timing Eliminator thread.   

I just got off the phone with Don Guhl.  He called to get some feedback from me since it has been a week (on Friday) since he reflashed my ECU.  I told him that overall, I am very happy with the mod, but that I have not had the opportunity to really put a lot of miles on it.  It rained here Saturday and Sunday so riding two up, with a toasted tire was out of the question.  The tires are in and will be installed tomorrow so I will get some more seat time this coming weekend. 

I told Don about my impression of overall harder pulling and acceleration in all gears and discussed the fact that we should probably have done some dyno runs in lower gears to look at acceleration and not just HP and Torque.  He agreed and invited me back to do some additional runs in lower gears.  We've set that up for 1 July- the earliest we could do it based on our schedules. 

If the Guhl mod is something that interests you, by all means give him a call.  I will certainly post our results as they become available. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Such a back and forth topic with so many different opinions it is hard to know where the best place to invest some money in order to get the best performance out of this bike.   I don't plan on taking it the track or trying to set world records but just would like to take advantage of what this bike is truly capable of.  Honestly the more I drive it, the more disappointed I am with the overall power of the C14  :(

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
The best place is rider training & education.  After that it depends on your goals, needs and wants.