Author Topic: Vista cruise throttle lock  (Read 14598 times)

Offline F-106

Vista cruise throttle lock
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
Looking to put one on the 06. It will work till I can spring for a true cruise control. Also looking for any photos on how you mounted it.    Thanks
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Dan

Re: Vista cruise throttle lock
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »
me 2 this weekend. old forum had all this info...

darn it..

thanks guys..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
I installed a VistaCruise on mine. If I remember correctly it was the single/dual model. There is no provision, because of our cable system, to actually connect the little tab to the cables. What I did was position it properly and then drilled a hole thru both it and the throttle housing. Be sure though to open the throttle housing and be sure you are drilling in an area that is not going to hurt anything. I then bought this threaded bolt: http://www.lowes.com/pd_137861-37672-880975_4294856649_4294937087_?productId=3012644&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Bolts_4294856649_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D8&facetInfo=

I don't think this was the exact one though. I got I think the smallest one I could find. I had to cut both pieces shorter to fit where I wanted it. This works nicely as you have to keep a gap to prevent binding on the VistaCruise. These pics show what I am talking about:

I also had to trim back the throttle grip to keep it from rubbing on the VistaCruise as can be seen here:

As you can see I am using the grips that Murphs sells so take that into account:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=35

Also be sure to use some thread locker so it doesn't back out.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »
Another install:
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/vistacruise.htm
click pix to expand
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline mlf73

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »
I have mine mounted similar to what Tim shows in his pics.  I had issues with the VistaCruise not sitting properly between the switch assembly and the ridge that runs around the throttle sleeve.  It always bound up and would not allow the throttle to turn and release freely.  I ended up shimming the VistaCruise away from the switch assembly using a few small washers so that it sits on the outside of the ridge on the throttle sleeve.  It works well enough but I've never been happy with it.  My unit has always been touchy as far as the tension on the locking mechanism also.  If not set just right it would not lock or would slowly kick out of the locked position and release the throttle.  It's better than nothing and easier than the O-ring though!  Sorry, no pics.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »
Google "GoCruise". Works just as good, no drilling/fabbing/rigging.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
I had issues with the VistaCruise not sitting properly between the switch assembly and the ridge that runs around the throttle sleeve.  It always bound up and would not allow the throttle to turn and release freely.

Grind/file off the ridge. I've done so on several Connies.

If you intend to use the throttle lock only temporarily, there is a simple solution.
Use Double sided tape and stick the lower section of the lock to your throttle housing.
I did not do this but a buddy did it on his Connie, and it worked fine.

On my Connies, I drilled a small hole thru the side of the vista cruise and another in the lower rear corner of my throttle housing.
I then installed a tiny sheet metal screw.
This places the thumb bar at the top of the throttle. More handy location fro me than below the throttle..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Dan

Just ordered a go cruise, hope they work great..
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
anyone else ever use one?

ANd how long until they had trouble with em, I like that I can put it on either bike.......

9 days boys 9 days, for the 1st trip.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »
I got one but it doesn't fit.  I'll have to grind off the tabs like mentioned above.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
GoCruise

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »
The VC is designed to use with a little slack so I also made sure to use a slightly oversize hole for the VC when mounting it. It has worked great. I also use a throttle rocker so I go back and forth between the two.

Offline F-106

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
Thanks guys for all your return posts. I used that kind if Vista lock back in the 80's. Vista also makes the one that has the support bar goes over the top of the switch housing. I think that model would work well with the grips I am running. Any of you running that type? Again thanks for the help!! 8)
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:50:23 AM »
+1  gocruise
"Always take the long way home."

Offline timmerz

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
+1  gocruise

+2 gocruise
Paid the $20 and got mine a couple of weeks ago when the other throttle-lock thread came up and they were mentioned, received the gocruise about 4 days later, installation took about  15 seconds and it does what I want it to. Keeps the throttle stopped wherever you adjust it to so you can release the grip and get blood flowing again or get the cramp out....perfect! No drilling, which was kind of important to me, 'cause I screw that stuff up religeously.. :P
I DO notice that it takes up a bit of room up by the control housing and my hand is pretty-much in contact with it the entire time I'm riding, as I have very large hands...but I am not bothered by it, does not detract from the ride at all...

Offline Dan

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
sweet I ordered one and will give feedback..

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
+2 gocruise
Paid the $20 and got mine a couple of weeks ago when the other throttle-lock thread came up and they were mentioned, received the gocruise about 4 days later, installation took about  15 seconds and it does what I want it to. Keeps the throttle stopped wherever you adjust it to so you can release the grip and get blood flowing again or get the cramp out....perfect! No drilling, which was kind of important to me, 'cause I screw that stuff up religeously.. :P
I DO notice that it takes up a bit of room up by the control housing and my hand is pretty-much in contact with it the entire time I'm riding, as I have very large hands...but I am not bothered by it, does not detract from the ride at all...

I had one until today that I found very useful. Mine was about a month old and I was showing a friend how neat it worked and as I took it off to show him how it worked, it broke in half (thus ending a great product endorsement -- everyone was profoundly impressed). The plastic is not really appropriate for multiple removals, so if you use one, put it on and leave it on. Mine broke on the second removal.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
I had one until today that I found very useful. Mine was about a month old and I was showing a friend how neat it worked and as I took it off to show him how it worked, it broke in half (thus ending a great product endorsement -- everyone was profoundly impressed). The plastic is not really appropriate for multiple removals, so if you use one, put it on and leave it on. Mine broke on the second removal.

I would contact 2wheelride. Don't know if there's a warranty, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »

:o

That's not good, first post I've seen about it breaking, thanks for letting us know...

Offline timmerz

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
Not good at all! I also would see about getting it replaced or my $20 back...and thanks for the warning!

Offline Dan

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
Guys last mod, stupid me decides, to put on a vista cruise.....  well...
I ground off the lip.... ok, then,
This is not working...  I screwed it it worked then it stuck again, did u put a washer between the vista cruise and the housing, or how did you keep a space in there, but then the srcew is thru there.....

So if anyone can help that would be great...

Dan