Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 9248 times)

Offline tomp

Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »
Just found this vid.  Lane splitting in Europe.  Looks like it's an every day affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E291QNX3NC0
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
Just found this vid.  Lane splitting in Europe.  Looks like it's an every day affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E291QNX3NC0

+1

^^^^common in most all countries except US
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
Been spending some time in Ca., and I will admit when you first see the splitters, you think they are nuts, and some of them are. But, after a while I started splitting, and have even followed a C-14 motorcop splitting the L.A. traffic that was backed-up for 10 miles. It's a necessity for your sanity. I have also been passed by many jokers splitting lanes at over 100 MPH in heavy traffic, and it seems every day I hear about a biker going down on the commute to work. The cops can't stop those idiots, and I think they just look the other way knowing their DNA will probably not transfer to another generation anyway.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 04:54:53 AM »
. The cops can't stop those idiots, and I think they just look the other way knowing their DNA will probably not transfer to another generation anyway.
Or they have already transferred their DNA, and we get to foot the bill raising another generation of good decision makers.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
I don't care where it is, the moron was riding like an idiot.  He's putting himself and others in danger.  I can't see this (lane splitting) going national as it seems more of a state regulation....not federal.  Also, I can't imagine the carnage that would occur if it did go national.  Just think of all those car drivers that aren't used to lane splitting seeing someone trying to get ahead of them in a traffic jam on the East coast... ::)   Door will open, lanes will narrow, people will get hurt and killed.  I can't support this.

I'm with you Jim, I could never support this. The fools around here ride stupid enough without this.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
I used to think it was crazy until I started spending significant amounts of time in SoCal. While it's true that it can be dangerous, so can going 150mph on public motorways. And passing on double yellows. I've seen a significant amount of chatter on here about both.

I'm not advising you to split lanes if it's uncomfortable to you, or to do it at warp speed. Personal choice. I do it virtually every time I ride to/in California. Have done so for YEARS on an Electra Glide. It's a wonderful thing to do when it's 90+ degrees and traffic is bumper to bumper for 50 miles. Yes, I said 50 miles. There aren't very many places where you can experience such a joy.

We have "Constitutional Carry" here in Az. Meaning, if you legally own a handgun, you can carry it virtually anywhere. Concealed if you choose. WITHOUT a permit. Or in plain view. Our murder rate is no higher than cities where there are VERY stringent "gun control" laws. Wow! Imagine that!  And no showdowns in the streets.

Let those who RIDE decide. I don't think that the Feds need to be involved, it should be up to the state. Trust me, Chicken Little, the sky will not fall.. 

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:20 AM »
Brilliant!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
Based on how they don't see motorcycles now, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.  As a rider driving a car, I can certainly say that I am, but average Joe Schmoe, I don't think so.  Plus you have the anger quotient with each other, let alone us trying to get by them.  It's a recipe for disaster where I live..  I can see Joe Redneck in his beat up pickup thinking I'll show that so and so and pull out just because he can.  All he has to say is 'I didn't see him.'

Where it's already legal they're somewhat used to it but to spring it on the average commuter?

Anyway, I don't trust any car driver when I'm on a bike...

Yeah, with MC silhouettes on the car door...

I think that's true. I know in France it is a fact of life and drivers get used to it from day one. The years it would take for the average cager to get used to it could be dangerous.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »
+1

^^^^common in most all countries except US

+1 But like Jim said, the transition for us could be deadly.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
+1 But like Jim said, the transition for us could be deadly.
Not for 'us'....maybe for them that do.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
Splitting lanes will definitely cause you to be at the top of your game. For me it required undivided attention and acute concentration. After a while it can become mentally exhausting. Its sort of like REALLY "getting it" on a twisty mountain 2-lane. You either know the exact feeling I'm describing or you ride too slow on roads that are not twisty enough.  :)

It's not for everyone. Then again, neither are motorcycles. I know a couple of motorcycle cops here in AZ that wish it was legal. It would make getting thru traffic infinitely easier for them when responding to an emergency.  It would also enable them to cover more ground in a given time frame.

Resistance to change is common in nearly every area in life. How many people fail to embrace technology because "It just ain't right.", or they "Don't see the need.", or they simply don't understand it? For many, EFI was like voodoo. "Carburetors worked for DECADES! I dont need fuel injection! " The examples could go on ad infinitum.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »
Whew, I didn't expect (naively) this much controversy.  While I agree that the majority of US drivers are selfish, ignorant, morons, especially compared to drivers in other countries, I also think they can be taught.  More of that naivety I suppose.  As many have stated, I really just want to get to the front of the line at stoplights and pass through stopped traffic.  A small public relations campaign by the AMA or similar could point out that letting motorcycles through allows the line to be shorter for the cars also. Of course there will be a small majority who feel they should try to cause harm to someone who is "getting ahead".  I think the transition period from some confusion to public acceptance would be one riding season at the most.

I also detest growing the control of the federal government, but it's already expanded beyond control, and this is actually increasing our freedoms. 

I have to admit to lane splitting on a few occasions at a stoplight when the cars are widely spaced and someone stops too far back, allowing me plenty of room to move to the front of the line.  If that pisses someone off, too bad.  They'll never see me again as I will soon be far down the road ahead of them.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
Of course there will be a small majority who feel they should try to cause harm to someone who is "getting ahead"

That would be half the population.

I think the transition period from some confusion to public acceptance would be one riding season at the most

Then why do we keep seeing the "START SEEING MOTORCYCLES" every year?

just thinking out loud here  :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
We need another of those digital videos like the "Riding with the high beams on" but about lane splitting.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
Yep, bunches of conversations here could use that..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
 :rotflmao: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »

That video is great!

I'm going lane splitting tomorrow  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine