Author Topic: COBDR  (Read 4820 times)

Son of Pappy

COBDR
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
Colorado Back Country Discovery Route.  Leave for the Springs in the AM.  I start the actuall route on Saturday and I will have the spot ( http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0CvsaH73urKOlA6MDEGuphfqzLIhBy6U8 ) turned on on Saturday.  Our plan is to be done with the route no later than Wednesday afternoon.  We have a seminar at Big Twins (http://www.bigtwincycles.com/default.asp) in Boise ID on thursday the 13th, not sure what time, but I would bet it's in the 6ish time frame.  From there we will slab it back home straight into our last scheduled ADV Camp.
As I will be out of range for the electronic leash I will post up pics and a detailed ride report once I get home.

I may detour to Whitefish MT as I just found out my step father has lung cancer that is untreatable in Ecuador so he and my mother will be returning to the states on the 8th.  I'm not a prayerfull guy but they are and I know it would be comfort in their hearts, so if you pray, please say some words for Stan and Lynda Lynde.

Be well,

Chet

Son of Pappy

Re: COBDR
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
So.  One thing off the bucket list.  Rode to Pikes Peak and back this morning.  I did discover I need to bleed the front brakes....
I made love to the mountains on the way up and to the road on the way down ;D

Trip starts tomorrow morning, I'll post up pics when I do the ride report...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »
Just looked at your spot location from 2 minutes ago (Tuesday, June 11 at 8:44 am) and I was there on Saturday headed the opposite direction. Here's the pic to prove it. Wish we could have met up.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
Whelp.  sure wished we coulda met up.  Ride is done!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Hagerman Pass was still snowed in.  Made the summit but the East side was still too deep.  We were the first (other than the plow driver)  across Cumberland.  we are also the first to more or less compete the COBDR this year.  i decided to wuss out and got a room in Baggs Wyoming, we was reeking bad and I was hot and tired.  Only did some 1300 mile since Saturday morning, 700 of it off road.  Once I get to a real computer I will post some pics.  I will be off for Boise ID early tomorow.  More to come.  Night all.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
Wish I lived in that area, it's some of the best scenery I've ever been lucky enough to have experienced, unfortunately 20 years ago.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
You missed all the fun here last week. Mandatory evac from the house due to Black Forest Fire. But I was one of the lucky ones, zero damage to the house.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »
So.  One thing off the bucket list.  Rode to Pikes Peak and back this morning.  I did discover I need to bleed the front brakes....
I made love to the mountains on the way up and to the road on the way down ;D

Trip starts tomorrow morning, I'll post up pics when I do the ride report...

Did you ride to the top?
I did it years ago on a Connie.
GREAT!!

Ride safe, TEd

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
Did you ride to the top?
I did it years ago on a Connie.
GREAT!!

Ride safe, TEd
Yep.  Most awesome of rides for sure.

I need to rethink this retirement thingy, seems I'm spending alot of time riding ;D  Just got done riding Capital Forest with a bunch of like minded students :grouphug:
Tomorow is some Connie time with a bunch of Soldiers :finger_fing11:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
Chet, what was the route like north of I-70 to Steamboat? Planning a ride up that way this weekend, don't want it to be too gnarly. Looking for easy riding and good places to pitch a tent.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
Everything North of Hagerman Pass was tame.  Almost anti climatic even.  Easy paced rolling hills and plenty of aspen lined gravel roads.

I was heading out for a nice easy ride today for our Military Mentor Training class, on the way to the rally point I noticed a funny clanking-I blew the rear carrier bearing.  I reckon 140+ pounds and a bit of elevation change did her in ;)  Lucky for me they have one in stock, I am doing training at this years Touratech Rally.  Sure would be ackward on the KLR 8)

A quick bit of DS eye candy :P

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Cool pic Chet.  :thumbs:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Here's a few more.  Something attractive about a red head cleaning lady with a toad sticker on her belt 8)