Author Topic: Gas vent line leaking constantly  (Read 536 times)

Offline bikemanb12

Gas vent line leaking constantly
« on: March 21, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »
Bike is an 08 C14 I picked up a week ago that was in rough shape from sitting.  I just finished the job of getting rid of all the rust in the tank and replacing the fuel pump and filter.  After a short test ride I parked it and noticed a puddle of gas quickly forming under me.  Upon closer look, it's the vent line from the tank.  If I pinch off the left (as you sit on the bike) lower black tubing on the tank, it stops dripping.  Am I correct in my thinking that somewhere inside the tank that vent hard line has a break?  And it will continue to leak until the fuel level is below it right?  If so, how do I fix it?  Can I run a new vent line from the nipple at the back of the tank to somewhere high up on the bike?  Maybe just as a temporary fix?  Although if I think about it, that would still **** out gas if the tank warms up.  Anyway, I hope you can offer me some good suggestions on a fix.

Pics show which line is leaking.  I pinched it off then cracked the fuel filler cap so it's not building up pressure in the tank if it gets warmer.

Mike

Offline Freddy

Re: Gas vent line leaking constantly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »
Six months ago a friend of mine asked me to fix his VN1600 which hadn't been run for 2 years and wouldn't start.  It was parked in a shed with a tank full of fuel.  Alarmingly, the inside of the tank was quite rusty, I saw, after draining the foul smelling and discoloured fuel.  I filled the tank with white vinegar and left it for a few day to eat the rust away.  After flushing the tank and replacing the fuel pump, which was seized, I filled it with fresh fuel to find it leaking from the overflow tube under the bike.  At the bottom of the tank it's connected to a steel tube that runs inside the tank to the filler cap.   OK, I thought, I'll just plug the drain tube.  WRONG!  After riding it for about 5 minutes fuel began to flow from the filler cap as the fuel expanded, soaking my jeans in a very sensitive area of my anatomy and down my legs.  I was tempted to park the bike and call for help - not wanting to go up in flames, but I decided to ride back home and take a chance.  I'm here now to say that I didn't go up in flames but it was very scary as the exhaust had been chopped slightly back from the seat at 'peg' height.

Apart from getting another tank, the only way to fix it was to feed a wire down the tube and pull a length of 1/8" heat shrink tubing through, seal it at the top of the tank/tube where it entered the steel tube/tank and under the tank where it exited the tube/tank and then carefully reattach the rubber o/flow tube so as not to damage the silicone sealant I'd used there.   Heat shrink tubing is unaffected by fuel. I left about a half inch protruding from the underside so that it went inside the original rubber o/flow tube.  This solved the problem and it's been that way since.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline bikemanb12

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 06:52:47 PM »
Thanks Freddy.  On my ZX14 I had happen exactly what happened to you.  Plugged vent causing it to vent through the cap.  What a mess. 
   After digging through the parts fiche, I discovered what is leaking is not the vent, but the water drain from the filler neck area.  That hard line is broken somewhere in the tank.  If I take a piece of fuel tubing and blow into the water drain hole I can hear bubbling from inside the tank.  Soooo in the short term, I just blocked the drain line and took it for a ride.  All was well on my 60 mile test ride.  I just can't get it wet or it will dump water into the gas.  I'll take a look inside the tank tomorrow when my boroscope arrives.  I always wanted one, but now I have a real reason, and it was cheap on Amazon.

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 08:33:34 PM »
I just replied to this in a another discussion. I agree with Freddy, and think a piece of 1/8" tubing is a possible fix.

Ride safe, Ted