Author Topic: Tried to tighten header bolts  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Tried to tighten header bolts
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
So I thought I will tighten up header bolts on my 3000 mile service. I decided to do it by just taking the side faring off and using an adjustable socket from the side. Well, I had a bit of a hard time taking the fairings off. The fairing bolts were loose though - I mean I was able to just unscrew them by hand. Are they suppose to be that loose? My side fairing did not want to come off at the corner where it meets the gas tank. Did not see any bolts there - perhaps some sort of latch? Well, mosquitoes and gnats won the day and had to quit. But I might try out by loosening up the radiator. The top bolt on radiator looked like stashed good enough that you have to be a hand/finger contourtionist.
I did manage to to the first header on left side and it was loose. So, I bet the others are loose too.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Flathead

Re: Tried to tighten header bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
There are bolts under the black plastic cover(2010/11) or center storage tray(2008/9), where the side fairing and tank come together.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »
I did mine about 2 weeks ago and found it easier to lay under the bike(as best as you can) and use a ratchet with 2 extensions and a swivel on the end. I could get to the 2 outside pipes from the sides but the insides were a pita. I loosened the radiator too but it only gives a small amount of working room though.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
So I thought I will tighten up header bolts on my 3000 mile service. I decided to do it by just taking the side faring off and using an adjustable socket from the side. Well, I had a bit of a hard time taking the fairings off. The fairing bolts were loose though - I mean I was able to just unscrew them by hand. Are they suppose to be that loose? My side fairing did not want to come off at the corner where it meets the gas tank. Did not see any bolts there - perhaps some sort of latch? Well, mosquitoes and gnats won the day and had to quit. But I might try out by loosening up the radiator. The top bolt on radiator looked like stashed good enough that you have to be a hand/finger contourtionist.
I did manage to to the first header on left side and it was loose. So, I bet the others are loose too.
The side fairings have one plastic prong that is a press fit into a grommet in the side of the tank, just pull out. As for tightening all the nuts without removing plastic it is not a sure thing. Sometimes a universal joint can bind up on you and make it feel like the nut is tight but it is not.
Friggen gnats are a bisch this summer!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.