Author Topic: Plugging and Patching Tires...former Boy Scout redeems himself.  (Read 11295 times)

Offline seanmcva

... but redeems self in the end.

Came out of work today to a totally flat rear tire (PR2 with ~200 miles on it). As the owner of MANY motorcycle tire plugging kits, I was not shaken. I have used "mushroom type plugs a few times to plug and ride to the shop for new tires and never had a plug failure (though never put more than 20 miles on a plug). I have "The Plugger", the Aerostich plug kit, the air pump that works on the spark plug hole, several compressed air inflators, and two compact electric air pumps. All of these stored neatly in a climate-controlled garage awaiting my next world tour. Finding my cavernous Connie cases completely empty made me feel like a real chump!

I waked to a fuel station (2 miles) and bout a sticky rope plugger (never used these before) and a "fix-a-flat" can. Knowing that my mechanic would curse me when he found the fix-a-flat goop in the wheel, I tarried on to a shop and bought a Bell electric pump (with cig lighter adapter). They had no compressed air inflators. I returned to the bike and removed the drywall nail with a stapler remover (really worked well!). I plugged the tire in about 2 minutes and thought, "hMMMM - THAT WAS EASY!) Then I plugged in the electric pump and prepared to wait 30 minutes for tire inflation. To my shock, the tire inflated in about 4 minutes and I trimmed the plug flush with a pair of iris scissors. I rode home (only 15 miles) without incident.

I have always been too paranoid to ride on a plugged tire in the past, but I am a bit reluctant to buy another new set of tires... Am I losing my grip on reality and giving in to frugality? I wonder because I have read many stories about these "sticky rope" plugs lasting the life of the tire. Anyone else been brave enough to shuck the conventional wisdom and ride on?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:02:39 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline DeansZG

Re: Former Boy Scout disgraces motorcycling community...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
Yep, BTDT!!!   More times than I care to remember..  However, YMMV......
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
I have always been too paranoid to ride on a plugged tire in the past, but I am a bit reluctant to buy another new set of tires... Am I losing my grip on reality and giving in to frugality? I wonder because I have read many stories about these "sticky rope" plugs lasting the life of the tire. Anyone else been brave enough to shuck the conventional wisdom and ride on?

You could have just posted to this thread from June 10 through today:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1590.0   Plus your thread subject isn't very relevant to the thread.  In any case:

* You did the right thing not using "fix a flat"- that stuff might ruin the TPS and is generally a mess!
* I probably would never trust a plugged tire to remain plugged or to be safe.
* You don't have to buy a new tire, just get the one you have properly (internally) patched...
* Of course, replace the tire anyway if it is already old/worn, since patching will cost money too...

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaveO

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
i always end up replacing the plugged tire at first opportunity. 

On my bike,I try but cant seem to forget im riding on that stupid plug. I'll plug a car and forget about it and they usually hold.

I need a clear head when i ride my motorcycle. The bike HAS to be 100%

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
Personally, I'd have more faith in a rope plug than an internal patch.  With TPS and a re-balance, the tire should live a long and productive life.  If you want, pm me & I'll pay for shipping if you want to send it to me.  :)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
I've never picked up something in my rear tire when it was worn out... Always when the tire had less than 1000 miles on it..  I've lost count on how many times in the last 60,000 miles and over a dozen rear tires on this bike. I've actually only had a few tires go their entire life without a plug on this bike

Once the gummy worm vulcanized itself to the tire, I've never had one let go. I keep my TPS screen on the dash, and monitor it fairly often, especially before I hit the twisties.  I check and set my tire pressure before each ride.

One of the tricks is getting a lot of the worm into the tire, trim it as short as possible, and then rub some road silt/sand on it to prevent from sticking to the road surface, until the heat of the tire vulcanizes it to the tire casing. YMMV

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline MIST

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
Had less than 1K miles on my rear tire when I picked up a small finishing nail. Sticky rope plug to the rescue. That was more than 2500 miles ago. Frequent checks with TPS and digital gauge. No problems and no worries.
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
Why is it that I/WE never get nails in 'old' tires?  I've done the same as well.  I have used the rope type plugs for years and never had an issue.  In fact, I rode from St. Louis to Richmond VA on a plugged tire and never once thought about it!  and that was on a big ole heavy K1200lt!  I tore up the lower cowl of that bike draggin' it through the mountains out there!  Of course, it's your choice.  I know that there are plenty that will preach replace it!  And that's exactly what the dealer (tire or bike) will tell you.

You could run it, it's plugged, and holding.  Or you can spend the $$ for a new one.  I'll up the ante, I'd give you 25 bucks AND pay for shipping!  If you keep it, I wouldn't bother dismounting for an internal patch.  The 'damage' is done.  The thought behind the using the internal patch over the rope type is that the tiny nail likely did less damage to the belts in the carcass of the tire than the plug did going in.  If the nail was in the center of the tire, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.  The closer it is/was to the edge, the less I trust it. 

If it's holding, RIDE IT!  You're fine!  Unless it doesn't hold, then I retract my offer  :)  Seriously RIDE!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
A am also in the camp that has plugged many tires, never had a failure, and never even HEARD of anyone having a failure.

Sofa King

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »
A am also in the camp that has plugged many tires, never had a failure, and never even HEARD of anyone having a failure.

Ditto.  The real danger is an immediate decompression of the tire, which would require the plug to blow out.  Not only is it a real B***H to get that plug in, it's just as big a B***H to get out.  And it would require tools, or perhaps, your tires to be inflated to like 200psi.  I have never heard of, or had, a single failure from a plug.  IMO, the biggest issue with plugs could be the balance of the tire.

So in truth a plug can leak, which is about the biggest issue I see with a plug.  So with TPS you should be good to go.

Just my two cents worth.

If anyone changes their tires within the first 1000 miles because of a nail hole, for good measure, after having plugged it successfully, will you please send your old tires to me?

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
If you decide no to use it mail it to me and I will.  ;D

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
I got a hole in my rear tire at the start of a 4 day ride (on my old TL1000R). Used the sticky rope plug and 3 small CO2 cartridges to get me to 18psi and got over the hill and to a gas station to get it to normal pressure. Rode it the rest of the trip with no issues, but did replace it once I was home. We had one guy on the trip tell me that he had an RV that he installed a plug like that into that he drove for years with the plug and then sold the RV, but it had no issues.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:16 AM »
The closest I've ever had to a "failure" was when I had to install a plug in the freezing rain, using bad cement that was partially gummed up.  Never did bond to the tire.  But it didn't blow out either, it just leaked annoyingly.  I was able to re-plug it (real BEEEOOOOTCH to pull the old plug) with no further issues.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Looks like I'm going to be out-bid in my effort to score a cheap tire.   ;D

A friend had a Polaris Ranger side-by-side that he plugged multiple tires multiple times.  One was a big hole in the sidewall that took about 5-6 rope plugs.  He didn't even bother to cut the ends off.  Looked funny as all getout, but didn't leak.  Admittedly, Rangers aren't high-speed vehicles with a top end of about 50mph, and I'd not plug a sidewall on a motorcycle tire other than to just make it back home, but it was impressive.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
Add one more to that group ...

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »
rear tire plug is no problem to me with gummy rope! I ride them til they die a natural death. never had any problems and never known anyone to have problems with them.
 now front tire is different, I will plug it but I do get it fixed or replaced.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
I would ride on a plug.

Offline ernie4110

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
My last rear tire had a sticky rope plug put in at 800 miles. The second plug was installed at 5600 miles and the third plug at 7200 miles. I replaced the tire at 7500 miles at the wear bars.

Rash
09 Conours
04 Goldwing
MSF Instructor

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
I couldn't push my bike across America and get 7,200 miles out of a tire. :o

3,500 Tops. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
I ran my last tire to death (Angel ST) with 4 sticky rope plugs in it at the end.  Towards the end, the tire was so thin, it broke the seal on the plugs, so I added just a touch of Green Slime (just enough to coat the very center of the tire, but nothing else).

The way the TPMS takes over the display, you will know right away when the tire gets below 32 PSI, well before it becomes a major handling issue, so just run it.  If it gives you problems, then swap it.

I found mine didn't leak a bit until the tire wore to the point it became thin.  I added the other 3 just to finish out the last couple of weeks of the riding season because by then, gravel was poking holes in it.

If the puncture is in the center area of the tread, I would have no problem running a plug on your tire for the life of the tire.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250