Author Topic: Vibes are bad or is it just mine?  (Read 8717 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Vibes are bad or is it just mine?
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
2010 C14 and this bike has always had a buzz that's very noticeable. Levers literally hum and lately it even seems to be getting worse or I'm just obsessing about it more.

Yes, it has risers and the stock grips. The vibes used to be most noticeable around 3500-4500 rpm, but now it seems (or again, I'm obsessing) to be too many vibes everyplace in the powerband.

So . . .  is mine an exception and I need to (gawd, I hope not) take it to my dealer? Are your Connie's smooth at the handlebars and no vibes to speak of?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Vibes are bad or is it just mine?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
I don't notice it through the bars (I have grip puppies, risers, and Oxford heated grips) but I do notice it through the tank when I am hugging it with my knees.  Only around 3500-4500 rpm at half or less throttle.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  You checked the motor mount bolts yet?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JetJock

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »
No on the motor mounts, but I'd have the dealer check that I think, because I'm lazy and have no spare time. Seems like a bit of a warranty issue if I can complain about excessive vibes.

Do your levers literally buzz? Mine do, both of them. Noticeably so.

But I don't notice any vibes through the tank or frame, but I think we sit differently or something.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
My 08 w/ stock bars & BMW tapered grips has always had some vibration.  Nothing dramatic, but enough to be wearing on longer rides.  I do not recall the levers actually buzzing.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Martin had a vibration on his 08 in the bars that was solved using a washer on each side.  Don't know the details, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
My behemoth is smoothest bike i've owned. My ZX14 was almost as smooth (but lacked KiPass). 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Excavator

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
My 09 has a buzz but more in the dash area, maybe the windshield mechanism or something, just not sure exactly where it is (not the bars). I've tried to ignore it but it kind of gets on my nerves a little.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »

Steve, based only on this picture, I believe your trouble was/is located above the seat, behind the gas tank but in front of the rear wheel.
:)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
After riding that farm tractor I call cruiser (still love it though), I just do not notice any vibration at all! Get on a HD (not sure about newer ones) and then talk about vibrations!  :rotflmao:
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Steve, based only on this picture, I believe your trouble was/is located above the seat, behind the gas tank but in front of the rear wheel.
:)

Hmmm...I don't notice any trouble spots in that particular area.   ;D

Offline JetJock

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Can we get less oogling of Steve's GF (nice, very nice and we admire him even more than usual) and hear some explanations for the vibes? Or fixes.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »
Imo, it is hard to determine how much of 'vibes' you are talking about. On my bike, if I light touch the levers, I can feel the vibes or buzz, but you cannot 'see' it (unlike my fatboy). But during daily driving, those vibes do not affect me at all. I did 'feel' more vibes when I had stock grips on. Now that I wrapped some tennis grips, I do not 'feel' them anymore. So, do you 'see' these vibes in the mirrors or levers? Or do you just feel them when you lightly touch them or do you feel them when you have a grab the levers? You see, this can be so subjective.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Smiffer

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
I know what you mean about the levers buzzing. At 55 in 4th if I touch them it's quite anoticable vibration. Went for a 3 hour ride yesterday with the wife and the vibration felt through the tank and pegs and grips (through the grip puppies) did start to get annoying. What strange is sometimes at 55 the vibes are there and sometimes at the same speed they are hardly noticeable.
2010 C14

Offline JetJock

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »
Imo, it is hard to determine how much of 'vibes' you are talking about. On my bike, if I light touch the levers, I can feel the vibes or buzz, but you cannot 'see' it (unlike my fatboy). But during daily driving, those vibes do not affect me at all. I did 'feel' more vibes when I had stock grips on. Now that I wrapped some tennis grips, I do not 'feel' them anymore. So, do you 'see' these vibes in the mirrors or levers? Or do you just feel them when you lightly touch them or do you feel them when you have a grab the levers? You see, this can be so subjective.

Well the vibes aren't as bad as a HD. If they were, I'd be checking to see if the engine had lost all its mounts and was being held in by the Tupperware. But yes, this is what I experience. Buzzy levers and buzzy throttle housing to the point where I get some numbness after an hour.

I need to put the foam grips over the stockers and see if that makes a difference. REALLY annoying me lately.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
I know you are looking for fixes not much help here but to comment on my 10 smooth no noticable vibrations.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
Weighing in on my 2011 C-14 in all black-is-beautiful: there is a definite vibration at the grips at highway speeds, seemingly regardless of what gear/RPM I'm pulling to be at speed. I have the grip puppies on, for better or worse, probably for the better. Thinking of trying the heavy-weight end caps. It's not a big problem.

How are your tires?

Offline JetJock

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »

How are your tires?

Tires are original OEM and only 4400 miles. Doesn't at all feel like a tire issue since it's been this way since new. My ST1100 was totally smooth so the vibes from the Connie are a surprise.

Going to ride a friend's ZX14 to see how his is. He claims it's smooooth . . .

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
Well the vibes aren't as bad as a HD. If they were, I'd be checking to see if the engine had lost all its mounts and was being held in by the Tupperware. But yes, this is what I experience. Buzzy levers and buzzy throttle housing to the point where I get some numbness after an hour.

I need to put the foam grips over the stockers and see if that makes a difference. REALLY annoying me lately.

... or the brakes, or the engine, or the price.
But back to topic, it's just as Jim recalled it: I had the vibes and, after using the thick tape under the triangular plate under the windshield, I took it to a dealer and he took half a bike apart until he noticed that the washers that go between the bar weights and the grips were not there. He added them and vóilà! Smooth as silk. In fact, the only bike smoother than my C14 is the K1600, which is slightly more comfortable but with the sportiness of a church (and the price too).
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Smiffer

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
What washers? I just took my bar weights off and there are no washers. I looked in my repair manual and don't see any washers in the exploded view either.

... or the brakes, or the engine, or the price.
But back to topic, it's just as Jim recalled it: I had the vibes and, after using the thick tape under the triangular plate under the windshield, I took it to a dealer and he took half a bike apart until he noticed that the washers that go between the bar weights and the grips were not there. He added them and vóilà! Smooth as silk. In fact, the only bike smoother than my C14 is the K1600, which is slightly more comfortable but with the sportiness of a church (and the price too).
2010 C14

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
I placed two washers on the throttle side spacing the bar end out.  Settled things down nicely.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC