Author Topic: Engine oil drain bolt  (Read 17003 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Engine oil drain bolt
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
Put me in the group that doesnt really see the need and or reason for a mag bolt.

+1  especially a leaking or broken one.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
That really does look like a poor design.  As MOB said, they've cored out the whole center of the threaded portion of the bolt for the placement of the magnet.  It looks doomed to fail.  I would think any FEA (finite element analysis) would have predicted that.

heheheheh
FEA....in this case gold plug uses that term in a different genre "Financial Extraction of Assets"

I see this all the time, all the folks, well, a HUGE portion anyways, of marketers of FARKLES that span a broad application spectrum, seldom analyze the aspects of each individual app...case in point here...while some drain bolts could be bored that dep, to house the SAME magnet they decided to use in all thier plugs, this application has issues due to the fact they compromised 80% of the gripping thread.

Now on to the torque issue...while some may think some egghead just copies this stuff from a chart, and applies it to every fastener accross the board, in a product, it is seldom so.
I'm sure great thought WAS put into the torque spec for the drainbolts on the C14, by test and evaluation of the prudent forces it takes to effect a proper seal using the factory installed bolt, and crush washer. Problem is that it doesn't apply to someones cobbldicked aftermarket part.  There is a "Semper Fi" that must be applied, and adhered to, things like this are a blind Robin and will always occurr, because people just don't think about them well...
I'm willing to bet that plug would have ended up the same way by anyone saying they don't need-no-steeeenkeeeeng torque wrench for a drain bolt, simply becaus the 25nm (approx 20lb./ft) that was applied, is exactly the equivalent to what most people DO crank on that bolt using a socket and wratchet, they just don't realize it....  tighten a couple hundred thousand bolts, various sizes, using the Gudentight hand method, and then go and verify what you really tightened them to, you will find you many times actually exceded the rating, and most of the time are right about spot on.....using a hand wrench while laying on a floor upside down grunting, often results in using an effort much higher than most people realize.
Most people easily apply 20 lb/ft on a bolt using a 3/8" drive wratchet wrench without realizing it.  Just sayin'....  toss in a 12" long breaker bar with that same socket on it, and see just how much torque you really applied....you'll be surpised to find you may have actually doubled it.... invest in a cheapo Crapsman 3/8" beam torque wrench, or similar, and walk around checking the bolts you hand tightened by trying to loosen them....the readings will likely surprise you.

I do have issues with the torque they printed for the oil filter install though....that was definatly a stupid mistake......I hope they revise the books someday.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »
That has been exactly my experience- someone pulls a number from a page in a book and that is the <torque, speed limit of a bearing, max. force that can be applied, etc., etc.>. Besides that, I don't think I have ever known five engineers who would know how to go about calculating the max. allowable torque on a bolt.

The same thing happens with things like wheel bearings: they are rated for much more load and much more speed than can be applied while inside a vehicle, at least used in that way. It is other factors like axle shaft size minimums that force a designer to choose a particular size bearing rather than actually spec'ing the bearing itself.

To the other poster who mentioned FEA, that isn’t even remotely necessary although it could of course be used; one formula and a quick calculation would provide a very accurate answer.

Brian

<snip>

Now on to the torque issue...while some may think some egghead just copies this stuff from a chart, and applies it to every fastener accross the board, in a product, it is seldom so.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Gold Plug Contact
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »
Frank O

If you want support Contact Tim at Gold Plug

goldplug@gmail.com

He treated me right in the past

Brent

==============================

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Another vote for using my built-in torque wrench with oil drain plugs. Since I also have a mx bike that requires an oil change every 10 hours or less, I do a LOT of oil changes. Never needed a torque wrench for this.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
When I was 16 and bought MY first car, I did exactly what my dad did when I got it home.  I changed all the fluids.  I got going on the oil and filter.  I pulled the drain plug which felt like it had been welded to the pan.  I went to pull the filter and it would not budge.  I used the three 'universal'  wrenches 2 spring type  and one that cinched on the filter and nothing would turn it.  The filter started to deform, which caused the wrenches to slip.  I resorted to the screw driver and hammer.  Made one hell of a mess, and I was worried THAT wouldn't get it!

From that oil change forward, I have made it my goal to NEVER over tighten a filter or drain plug.  As already mentioned, I haven't had a plug OR a filter back off EVER!  And I have changed a LOT of oil!  I DID forget to tighten a drain plug once.  I drove the car for two days before I noticed the oil drips.  Fearing the worst, I crawled under only to find the drain plug finger tight.   Must have gotten distracted!!! 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline gildaguz

Re: Gold Plug Contact
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Frank O

If you want support Contact Tim at Gold Plug

goldplug@gmail.com

He treated me right in the past

Brent

==============================
+ 1 If you have problem with the plugs just contact Tim and he will offer you to replace it with the new design ones or refound your money, excellent customer service
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »
HEY B.D.F. I don't think that any engineer can "calculate" the proper torque on a bolt. Every bolt, every nut has different coatings, so for an engineer to determine the torque required for the fasteners (that he or she is using in their design) they (usually) set up a D.O.E. (Design of experiment) and torque the fasteners while measuring clamp load and bolt stretch...I am starting to ramble here...bottom line is that there are so many variable...sometimes a bolt that is coated with P&O torqued to xx ft/lb will be correct, while the exact same bolt coated with cad plating torqued to the same value will not achieve the necessary clamp load to perform as expected...who konws if the goldplug had the same coating as the factory plug.
Is a magnetic plug really necessaty?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline PH14

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »
Put me in the group that doesnt really see the need and or reason for a mag bolt.

+5152   :D :thumbs:

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
When I was 16 and bought MY first car, I did exactly what my dad did when I got it home.  I changed all the fluids.  I got going on the oil and filter.  I pulled the drain plug which felt like it had been welded to the pan.  I went to pull the filter and it would not budge.  I used the three 'universal'  wrenches 2 spring type  and one that cinched on the filter and nothing would turn it.  The filter started to deform, which caused the wrenches to slip.  I resorted to the screw driver and hammer.  Made one hell of a mess, and I was worried THAT wouldn't get it!

From that oil change forward, I have made it my goal to NEVER over tighten a filter or drain plug.  As already mentioned, I haven't had a plug OR a filter back off EVER!  And I have changed a LOT of oil!  I DID forget to tighten a drain plug once.  I drove the car for two days before I noticed the oil drips.  Fearing the worst, I crawled under only to find the drain plug finger tight.   Must have gotten distracted!!!

The OP didn't overtighten the drain plug, he used a torque wrench to torque the bolt to the specified amount as specified by Kawasaki. The torque specs are not high and should not have sheared off the bolt, period.

No, you don't need to use a torque wrench to tighten a oil drain plug, but I will say that many who do not use one and say they only tighten a little past finger tight, may actually be tightening it more than the torque specified by Kawasaki. You just don't know it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
It is really pretty straightforward to calculate the tension put on a fastener using torque as a measurement. Of course what you say about the surface and / or coatings (including lube) on a fastener will change the tension for a given torque but the bolt surface and conditions are specified on critical fasteners. The best way to measure tension or bolt stretch is to measure it directly; I used to have a snap gauge that went on small block Chevy con rods to actually measure the bolt stretch (if memory serves, the correct tension occurred at 0.009" of stretch.

Just my opinion but a magnetic plug isn't necessary- that said, they do catch some findings in the engine so they may be useful.

Brian

HEY B.D.F. I don't think that any engineer can "calculate" the proper torque on a bolt. Every bolt, every nut has different coatings, so for an engineer to determine the torque required for the fasteners (that he or she is using in their design) they (usually) set up a D.O.E. (Design of experiment) and torque the fasteners while measuring clamp load and bolt stretch...I am starting to ramble here...bottom line is that there are so many variable...sometimes a bolt that is coated with P&O torqued to xx ft/lb will be correct, while the exact same bolt coated with cad plating torqued to the same value will not achieve the necessary clamp load to perform as expected...who konws if the goldplug had the same coating as the factory plug.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Shoe

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 06:57:04 AM »

No. That's why I will remove mine the next time I change oil. Magnetic drain plugs are an add. My 84 Toyota had OEM magnetic drain plugs and I never had a problem with them. The Gold Plugs that most riders are installing appear to have problems.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
I haven't found much of anything on mine in the way of particles..  In retrospect, a waste of money.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
I haven't found much of anything on mine in the way of particles..  In retrospect, a waste of money.

Hmmmmmmm.....imagine that! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
If you really think you need a magnet on your plug, stick a magnet on the existing plug.

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »
I've never used a torque wrench during an oil change on anything I've owned, but I say more power to anyone who wishes to use one for their oil changes.  In the field of aviation, torque wrenches are not optional.  If there's a torque spec for a fastener or any threaded component (and there almost always is), it must be adhered to.  If your torque wrench is set properly, and you're still having trouble getting the desired result, then that's an indication that something else is wrong.  In the OP's case, it was an aftermarket part, not made to the same spec's as the OEM part.  In my personal experience with torque wrenches used on aircraft, it helps if the torque setting you need falls somewhere in the middle of the range of your wrench.  Using one at it's lowest setting or maxing it out can make it difficult to tell if it's giving you the desired result.  I know that sounds a little like BS because the whole point of a torque wrench is to eliminate human error based on feel, but I've had trouble when using wrenches on the edge of their range.  Another thing to consider is calibration.  Torque wrenches have to be calibrated at given intervals in order to guarantee the most accurate results.  I'm rambling now.  I know the problem was a faulty bolt, but some of this is good gee wizz info for those who prefer to use torque wrenches.   
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Oil Filter Magnet
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
Oil Filter Magnet

(Nice Shaking Lady)

HSPN SEMA 07 - Filtermag Product Demo

(Motion Pro)

INDY 2010 - Motion Pro
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »
I need the filtermag girl to demonstrate that for me in person........please!!!! :hail:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
Why in the H*** would anyone buy a magnet that is specially made to attach to an oil filter when all you would have to do is attach ANY magnet to the filter in order to do the very same thing?

Personally though I do not see ANY valid reason to use a magnet in the first place. My Jetta had 189,000 miles on it and still had good compression when I got rid of it. It ran perfectly and burned no oil. No magnets.

An interesting thought, metal will become magnetized itself, you can rub a small piece of metal with a magnet and magnetize it. So, all those metal shavings accumulate in one place, on a magnetic drain plug, or on a filter, then become magnetized, clump together, then get knocked off en masse and block a passage thus blocking oil flow. Or it fouls up a moving part causing horrible scoring or other damage.

There, I just wanted to give the people who worry about metal particles and magical magnetic solutions something else to keep themselves up at night. For me, I see no reason to add a magnet to my bike, except perhaps on a metal bracket to be used to hold a drawing my daughter made.   ::)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
Mmmmm........ BOOBIES!