Author Topic: Will this winter EVER end???  (Read 42440 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Will this winter EVER end???
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:31 AM »
News Flash!

We're forecast to be above freezing today, 41f. and ALL next week!

I may be able to ride sometime this month after all.  :)

But I might have to build an ark once all the snow melts.   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
COLD FRONT today in Tampa!   ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »

That's rough Steve!

I hope you get sunburned

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
That's rough Steve!

I hope you get sunburned

His tan from December will protect him from sunburn.  I do however hope he gets wind burn and monkey butt ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »
That does look a little rough- my sweat glands got ascairt for a moment there :-(

Now up here, where we have more accommodating weather, it is finally supposed to snow next Wed. / Thurs.. If the predictions hold, we might get 8" which is  a fine amount to dig out of.  :thumbs:  But of course these long range forecasts are not very accurate and the last time a decent snow was predicted we got nothing at all.... And we are running out of winter so I hope this is the big one (easy boys!).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Ya know...   :(

Posts like this were funny in January, slightly humourous in February, but in March....

Karma's gonna get you....

2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
I hope so.... I hope it gets me good in the form of snow! Lots and lots of snow. C'mon, I am a guy with an all tweaked- up toy and I can't even do a reasonable test without any snow.

Anyway, it is not my call, it is up to someone with a higher pay grade than me. But this is what is predicted..... at the moment:

And then there is the cure....

C'mon snow, Big Red awaits.

:-)

Brian

Ya know...   :(

Posts like this were funny in January, slightly humourous in February, but in March....

Karma's gonna get you....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
Not to worry classvino, saving it all up for those days when its 105 and 80% humidity in FLA and a cool 80 in Cleveland, with pics of me in full gear kinda and still on the cool side. ;D Pay back's a b***h.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »
Not to worry classvino, saving it all up for those days when its 105 and 80% humidity in FLA and a cool 80 in Cleveland, with pics of me in full gear kinda and still on the cool side. ;D Pay back's a b***h.
100* has never been recorded in Tampa, or Miami. And it occurs very rarely here in central FLA. I've lived here for eight years now. We maybe had one 100 degree day about 5-6 years ago when a summer "cold front" came through. A summer cold front lowers the dewpoints into the upper 60's, allowing afternoon temps to actually be hotter, and it is too dry for afternoon sun showers.

I do not miss the 30 below and the 105 above of Minnesnowta. Not one bit. Morehead MN had a heat index of 134* a year or two ago. I do not understand how you people up north deal with the heat in the summer.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
In a word, badly :-(

I live in the northeast US, on the coast and it does occasionally touch 100F here with high humidity. The major difference is that the high 80's and into the 90's is far less common, and for a much shorter period of the year than FL. If it does not reach 100F, then it is absolutely certainly in the 90's quite often.

Brian

100* has never been recorded in Tampa, or Miami. And it occurs very rarely here in central FLA. I've lived here for eight years now. We maybe had one 100 degree day about 5-6 years ago when a summer "cold front" came through. A summer cold front lowers the dewpoints into the upper 60's, allowing afternoon temps to actually be hotter, and it is too dry for afternoon sun showers.

I do not miss the 30 below and the 105 above of Minnesnowta. Not one bit. Morehead MN had a heat index of 134* a year or two ago. I do not understand how you people up north deal with the heat in the summer.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
OK, so 98 or 99, still warmer than Cleveland.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
In a word, badly :-(

I live in the northeast US, on the coast and it does occasionally touch 100F here with high humidity. The major difference is that the high 80's and into the 90's is far less common, and for a much shorter period of the year than FL. If it does not reach 100F, then it is absolutely certainly in the 90's quite often.

Brian

Record temp in Tampa is 99 degrees, and that was back in '85.  With our gulf breeze its usually 88-92 in the summers. 

Still to hot for me, that's why I'm usually riding elsewhere or hiding out up in the Blue Ridge mtns during the summer months.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
Oh great- now they have changed the forecast from many inches of snow to..... I don't even like saying the word..... rain :-(  There is still a chance of some 'flurries' overnight but what good will that do me? Stupid winter is almost over.

At least it was cold enough for long enough to wipe out my motorcycle battery. It will not hold a charge for 24 hours any longer so it must be time. Not bad life out of it though, I think it is 3 or 4 years old and probably would have survived this last winter had the bike been used or at least the battery charged before it got so cold. New MotoBatt on the way.

Oh well, the recent temp. changes did cut WAY back on my wood usage (easy boys!). Got a chance to shut down the stove, clean out the pipes (easy!) and the heat exchanger. Broke the scraper rod on the heat exchanger though and looked up the price of a new one: $200 and out of stock until at least April. Not such bad news, it will prod me along to fix this one when it is warmer.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:27 AM »
We've had above freezing temps the last couple of days, 90% of the snow has melted. That means that my garage was flooded with melt water and slush again.  :o

Winter weather advisory in effect for today. 4 to 8 inches of snow.  :o

On the plus side of that, I can get my snowmobiles out of the garage and on to the trailer. I need to get those sleds out of the way so Connie can come out and play SOON.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:40 AM »
It was close to 80 here yesterday....dropping today......30's tomorrow...but warming up by the weekend again.....unfortunately I'll be working..... :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2014, 04:47:53 AM »
I got my snowmobiles out of the garage and on to their trailer yesterday. The weather is warming and I'm ready to ride! I just need a lil rain to change the color of the roads from salt white to the preferred shade of gray. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
we got SLAMMED yesterday....day before it was 50's, last night we hit 5*,
the storm we got yesterday pretty much was the worst one this year, total whiteout's, many cars wrecked, uber collisions, this morn sucked to go the 37 miles to work, on totally iced roads....35 mph

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2014/03/12/Snow-shuts-down-northwest-Ohio-schools-businesses.html

tomorrow we're supposed to hit 50 again....??? ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
Yeah, sure, rub it in.... We got "hit" too with low temps, wind and (here it comes) our own miniature copy of a white out- about 3/4" on the ground. The scraper blade on the snowblower is set higher than that :-(  This snow mocks me....

>:(

Though I did get a new catalytic combustor for the stove- at least I can test- fire that thing with the temps. going to 11F tonight.

Brian

we got SLAMMED yesterday....day before it was 50's, last night we hit 5*,
the storm we got yesterday pretty much was the worst one this year, total whiteout's, many cars wrecked, uber collisions, this morn sucked to go the 37 miles to work, on totally iced roads....35 mph

<snip>

tomorrow we're supposed to hit 50 again....??? ???

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
Millersburg, OH, Tuesday 72F, Wednesday snowing sideways and 30F at 1PM. March in Ohio. We were walking around Thursday morning outside and we noticed it was a bit cool out as my face started to numb. We went into a store, 11F at noon. April is worse. Temp swings more dramatic.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
60 today and throughout the weekend....snow Monday morning  :banghead:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.