Author Topic: Seeing the surgeon  (Read 29492 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Seeing the surgeon
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
So, I'll open up with what I was aking help for, Pappy seems to be getting worse, this weather isnt helping any, but even simple chores he's done since childhood are escaping him or easily confusing him.  What I need now is the mental strength to continue the fight, my back is healing nicely, seeing the physical therapist, man are my muscles sore!  I start 5 days a week next week, I really need to get back to work, losing %40 of my pay is putting a damper on my retirement home and now that the holliday season is over I'm needed back at work.

Please pray for me and my father, we both need help,

Chet

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »
We are here for you, Chet. Being the caregiver during the advanced times in your loved one's life is difficult, yet nesessary.
Demanding care without any rewards of improvment is the single defeating result that makes one raise their hands in surrender.
Stay strong, Chet. Prayers sent for you and your Dad.
I'm sure that you have exhausted all avenues in the alzheimer's care field, but just in case, and I don't know where in Washington state you are..
http://www.carewashington.org/list02_wa_Alzheimers_facilities.htm
Daycare could be a blessing for the both of you.
God bless

Jim
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your Dad I posted last on the 2 of November about you and your dad. I lost my Dad 5 days latter on the 7 th after a 3 @1/2 week battle in Hospital .I will be praying for you and you dad , remember he loved you with all his heart and still loves you ,forgive him for anything you hold against him, forgive him as he has forgiven you,love him and your family .Do your best ,for that is all he would want you to do ,just remember no one is perfect .Remember pray for him yourself and have some quite time with God  .

Offline Conrad

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:30 AM »
You got it Chet.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »
Prayers sent.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Chet, I send this info as it may useful to you.

I'm taking care of my Aunt (who is dealing with Alteimers).
We had her in a large Assisted Living Facility here in Houston. Didn't work out as it was too big and she did not receive the personal attention that we wanted for her.
Last year we located and moved her to a private Home with only 5 other people living there.
Has worked out GREAT. She gets the personal attention, we can go by and see her more often, we get phone calls if there is ever any problems concerns.

You and Pappy are in our prayers. Keep us posted.

Ride safe, Ted

Son of Pappy

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your Dad I posted last on the 2 of November about you and your dad. I lost my Dad 5 days latter on the 7 th after a 3 @1/2 week battle in Hospital .I will be praying for you and you dad , remember he loved you with all his heart and still loves you ,forgive him for anything you hold against him, forgive him as he has forgiven you,love him and your family .Do your best ,for that is all he would want you to do ,just remember no one is perfect .Remember pray for him yourself and have some quite time with God  .
If only I had something to forgive him for.  I am sorry for your loss and dread the day I lose my father.  He has been the best of fathers and I owe him so much.

We are here for you, Chet. Being the caregiver during the advanced times in your loved one's life is difficult, yet nesessary.
Demanding care without any rewards of improvment is the single defeating result that makes one raise their hands in surrender.
Stay strong, Chet. Prayers sent for you and your Dad.
I'm sure that you have exhausted all avenues in the alzheimer's care field, but just in case, and I don't know where in Washington state you are..
http://www.carewashington.org/list02_wa_Alzheimers_facilities.htm
Daycare could be a blessing for the both of you.
God bless

Jim
Thanks Jim, I didnt have that site, it is bookmarked for future use.  One thing I can't/won't do is place him in a home, it would be a one way ticket for him.  I will use their resources to see what they can offer as help from a wiser strategic way of thinking and planning.  I live next door to him, we have a well worn path that leads from his back door to my front door.  We walk past a tree that was just a sapling when I was a kid, it started on the backside of my dogshouse (Penny).  That tree is approaching 6 feet thick and is a daily reminder of my youth and everything my father did for me.  He still walks his property and looks at everything we have built.  To remove him from that would be pure thievery.  His basement is filled with antlers from many memorable hunts, plenty of old tools from his father and relatives long since past.  His upstairs has many simple things, items like the naval shells that his father filled with lead shot and tapped out some intricate designs, emptied, polished and turned into a lamp.  There is no way any of these could ever be replicated.  And the love.  It is a privelage to be his trusted son, never a chore.  I am blessed to have such a wonderfull mentor.

To everyone else a simple yet heartfelt thank you.

Chet

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about this turn for the worse with your father.  It sounded like he was doing well during hunting season, I understand how quickly things can change with elder, loved ones.  I'm sure you will make the best choice in the interest of your father.  Take care and I will be thinking about your family.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Sorry to hear this Chet, and the very best in getting through this difficult time.

Brian

So, I'll open up with what I was aking help for, Pappy seems to be getting worse, this weather isnt helping any, but even simple chores he's done since childhood are escaping him or easily confusing him.  What I need now is the mental strength to continue the fight, my back is healing nicely, seeing the physical therapist, man are my muscles sore!  I start 5 days a week next week, I really need to get back to work, losing %40 of my pay is putting a damper on my retirement home and now that the holliday season is over I'm needed back at work.

Please pray for me and my father, we both need help,

Chet
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
Jeremy, Brian, Thanks a bunch.  I'm holding out hope that nicer weather will help brighten him up.  Outdoor activities seem to put a spark back in his furnace.  The blue skies today have him much better, I have him hauling in some wood, he really likes driving the side by side.  I sure hope he doesn't decide to take it out on the road after some icecream sandwiches ;)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
My father has dementia and it's a tough thing to watch.  We made the decision to put him in a home last fall because he was forgetting meds or doubling up, and getting combative.  I feel for you.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks Jim, I didn't have that site, it is bookmarked for future use.  One thing I can't/won't do is place him in a home, it would be a one way ticket for him.  I will use their resources to see what they can offer as help from a wiser strategic way of thinking and planning.  I live next door to him, we have a well worn path that leads from his back door to my front door.  We walk past a tree that was just a sapling when I was a kid, it started on the backside of my dogshouse (Penny).  That tree is approaching 6 feet thick and is a daily reminder of my youth and everything my father did for me.  He still walks his property and looks at everything we have built.  To remove him from that would be pure thievery.  His basement is filled with antlers from many memorable hunts, plenty of old tools from his father and relatives long since past.  His upstairs has many simple things, items like the naval shells that his father filled with lead shot and tapped out some intricate designs, emptied, polished and turned into a lamp.  There is no way any of these could ever be replicated.  And the love.  It is a privilege to be his trusted son, never a chore.  I am blessed to have such a wonderfull mentor.

Chet, sorry I didn't make myself clearer, (night shift will do that), I was only suggesting Day Care facilities that could provide daily care for your Dad while you
and your wife perform your daily chores/work/responsibilities. I believe this would be a benefit for all of you, being that mental and physical exercises are
provided for your Dad daily.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Son of Pappy

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »
Jim I sure wasn't questioning your reason, I was feeling very down yesterday and I needed all the help I received.  I was trying to paint a visual to help others understand why a home isn't an option for Pappy.  He was led to believe that a recovery home after his bypass would be the best thing for him.  He hated every moment he was there, we did far more for him than the home did.  He demanded to be released but was told by law he couldnt leave without a DRs consent.  I told them that we were leaving, with or without the DRs orders.  The only thing that would have stopped us was a pair of LEOs blocking our way.  They saw that we were indeed leaving, made a few hurried calls and whadaya know, he was released, but only after I had to sign a bunch of release of liability forms.  All he could say was just how bad everyone looked and how lifeless they all looked.  He made it quite clear he never wanted to ever be in one of those places again.  I have thought about our local VA old folks home for during the day, but ever since we discovered the visiting angels we have a very good working solution, we are doing 2 hours a day M-F to see how it works out, so far so good, we have had one of the lady let go, she seemed to think lunch and social events were her duties, in between her calls and many texts.  His primary angel is the mom of a submariner who is based at the Bangor Sub base, she is from Arkansas and is proving to be one heck of a care giver.  Once I am cleared to return to work we will probably bump the hours up to 4 hours a day until nicer/clearer weather arrives.  If he were at a stage where he was dangerous to others I don't know what I would do, he sees myself and my buddy Rich as his authority figure, he takes a no just like I did when I was a kid.  He will defy my brother, my son, and my wife.  So, I end up doing a bunch of things that others could do.  I am starting to see a little paranoia, not toward me or Rich, but to the others.  I see a time when I will need to move him into my house for his own safety, that is going to be tough as he will always feel a need to go to his house, a problem we had when he was recovering from his bypass.  He would wake up at some weird hour and just go home...
Ugd56, we have ended up with a fairly complex yet simple method for his meds, we broke them into two categories, AM and PM, we control his meds and keep them at our home, his AM he gets at breakfast time and PMs are here when we make him dinner.  I feel fortunate that he hasn't become combative, I think it is because I am a daily figure and I live next door.  Tonight was about as close as it gets, he had a cheap pen come apart, he lost the spring and he had a small stepped plastic gear in his hand.  In his mind he broke it and I needed to fix it.  I found him a much better pen and put the broke one up, we went downstairs to stoke the fire for the night he kept insisting he dropped the spring somewhere on the floor.  I'd bet money he is still worried about that spring.

Heres an idea, do y'all think a thread about Alzheimers would be beneficial to the forum?  I know how much help and comfort I have received and I think others may benefit.  Sometimes knowing others out there are experiencing the same pains it helps, and it would be a great place to share what has worked and places to seek professional help.  Let me know and I'll see about putting something together.

Chet

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:32 AM »
Chet, we're all pulling for you, bro. I don't think I know anyone who's in our approximate age range who does not have parent issues at the moment or on the horizon. You're on the prayer list, so hang in there.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
do y'all think a thread about Alzheimers would be beneficial to the forum?

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
I'd be interested.

Tell your dad that we all say hello to him...

Ride safe, Ted

Son of Pappy

« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »
do y'all think a thread about Alzheimers would be beneficial to the forum?

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
I'd be interested.

Tell your dad that we all say hello to him...

Ride safe, Ted
Will do and I will tell him.  I'll give some serious thought to a new thread.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
Well, after finally finding and reading this thread, I can see that I've had it pretty easy compared to your situation Chet! It sounds like you're dealing with the hand you have been dealt way better than most. Had I seen this sooner, I could have (possibly) made a contribution about the meds and rehab...

The drugs were both a blessing and a curse. I had been taking them for almost a year (solid) and on and off for the prior five years. Cold turkey wan't amusing. I guess I had my ex concerned enough that she about to fly up here. I  will still take a Percocet  or Vicodin when needed.

The PT sucks, BUT it's worth it. I just discovered (yeah I can be kinda dense at times) that I have lost weigh, gained muscle mass and feeling much better after all the work. I actually lost ten pounds in December and an inch from my waist size. I was lucky that I was able to find a physical therapist that was also a Pilates instructor too. She's the biggest factor in my recovery in the last two months. Get those core muscles working and stronger. 

New Year's Day was the five month anniversary of my surgery. It was a beautiful day. It took me (with a neighbor's help) close to twenty minutes to get my riding suit zipped up over the brace, but we managed and I took my first ride on the C14. I think that was (probably) the ride I've had in ages... 

Hang in there. It will get better and it sounds like you're actually healing pretty fast. Maybe we should start a back surgery thread...

BTW, does your wife have a single sister???  ;D
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
Single sister?  Yes, but I think they don't have the same father :yikes:  She is ginormous and about the laziest person I have EVER met, yes, that bad.
I am really digging the PT, today we worked on more core exercises and some upper body conditioning, I think I'm gonna be sore tomorow and I love it.  I have a few exercises and stretchs I can do at home and I am working the abs daily.  The numbness in my left leg is slowly working it's way up, which is a good thing, the outer thigh is still quite touchy but the lower weirdness is gone.  I've maintained my weight and my belt is getting longer, I think I may even reach my goal of 190 by the time I return to work.  I can use any machine that isn't being used after I am done with my daily routine, I think I'm going to start riding the bike, get my heart rate up and burn some calories.  My end goal is no meds whatsoever, which means weight and diet control and a solid workout routine.
I'm glad to hear you got a grip on the meds, I have a phobia about addictions, long story short but I think it has served me well.

I'm jealous you got to ride your 14, it's been almost 4 months for me, I did a short ride on the KLR and it was awesome ;D

Offline r2t2

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »
Lucky you! No love when it comes to riding my mountain bike... And ride (KLR or Connie) is a GREAT ride. I think I would have to be lifted onto a KLR right now. My carrot is to be able to make this year's Bun Cooler... Think you may make it? 190 would be great, but I'll be really tickled when I break under 200.

So the sister's out... How about a first cousin???

I do think your phobia is well founded. I'm amazed as to how easy it is to become dependent on them... PC way of saying hooked!
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »
I will do my best to make the Bun Burner, I'm feeling lazy, so do you have the date?  I'm hoping to be in the middle of a dirt bike instructor course most of Marchs weekends.  I bought the KLR for that reason, and a 3 rail MC trailer so I could pull the KLR and YZ behind the Jetta.  I have this as a third reaon to really push myself in a smart way.
Cousins?  Kinda wacked out as well, I think he families bad examples were good lessons for my wife and I got really lucky.  She left home (in with me while I was in high school) when she was 15, I joined the Army, finished BCT and advanced training, returned home, married her in April (she was 16 by then), and 30 years later we are still together, 3 kids later and 2 grandkids we still have a working and great relationship.  And, heck, I aint even 50 ;D