Author Topic: Stock muffler and midpipe C14 '09  (Read 8417 times)

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
Re: Stock muffler and midpipe C14 '09
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 05:51:43 AM »
I put my stocker by the side of the road with some other metal stuff for the junkers. They cruise by weekly and will pick up anything that can be recycled.

Well, now there's an old Ford Ranger cruising for, and always laden with, scrap metal now sporting a 2010 Kawasaki Concours exhaust pipe!

Sounds just as bad as it did before; but louder. The rusted manifold was already giving him the extra top-end he needed. However, he mumbled something through his mouthful of dip about saving lives….

Next week he'll ask me if ZX14 headers fit his truck LOL

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
I put my stocker by the side of the road with some other metal stuff for the junkers. They cruise by weekly and will pick up anything that can be recycled.

Well, now there's an old Ford Ranger cruising for, and always laden with, scrap metal now sporting a 2010 Kawasaki Concours exhaust pipe!

Sounds just as bad as it did before; but louder. The rusted manifold was already giving him the extra top-end he needed. However, he mumbled something through his mouthful of dip about saving lives….

Next week he'll ask me if ZX14 headers fit his truck LOL

:finger_fing11: :finger_fing11:
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

elp_jc

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
SOLD. Does that help any?
Hey, did you actually sell it for $150 + shipping? ;D  If that was the case, I'm going to put up mine for sale with maybe 10 miles on the clock as soon as I get the bike, since it'll be the first thing to go 8).

Offline texrider

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
I know, I know,
"Loud pipes save lives"
"The extra 1/3 HP really makes my bike special"
"The extra noises really make me special"
"Saving that 5 lbs of weight really makes my arse look smaller"
"Gee officer, this town has a noise ordinance?"
"What do you mean my bike won't pass state inspection?"
"Why won't you take my loud bike in on trade?"
"Stock exhaust? We don't need no stinking stock exhaust!"
 ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »
I know, I know,
"Loud pipes save lives"
"The extra 1/3 HP really makes my bike special"
"The extra noises really make me special"
"Saving that 5 lbs of weight really makes my arse look smaller"
"Gee officer, this town has a noise ordinance?"
"What do you mean my bike won't pass state inspection?"
"Why won't you take my loud bike in on trade?"
"Stock exhaust? We don't need no stinking stock exhaust!"
 ;D

I really don't get why folks go on and on about how loud the available aftermarket exhaust systems are for the C14. I have the Area P slip on and it's not much louder than the HUGE stock exhaust can,  till I really 'get on it'.   :)

http://areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2008.php

The sound readings are taken statically using the standard 20" test at 45°.  Slip-On exhaust tone is very different, though the actual decibel levels are very similar.  Very low frequency. 

Full System - An all gear cruising and to the soft limiter sound byte is noted below.  Exhaust tone is very deep, low frequency.  Sounds awesome.  Muffler is positioned slightly under the bag to assist deflection and attenuation of sound.

Idle                  5000rpm
Stock               77-78 dbA         92-93 dbA
Slip-On            83-84 dbA         92-93 dbA
Full System      86 - 87 dbA       98 - 99 dbA
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 06:26:19 AM »
Same with the dual muzzy setup. I don't have the numbers but they are civilized until WOT. I think some hearing aids are turned too loud.  :)

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »
I hate loud exhausts, and my Area-P is not loud.  I don't like it for it's sound, performance, etc.  I like it because it's so much smaller and lighter than stock. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
+2 except that sometimes I'm in the mood for that beautiful inline 4 scream above 6k!   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
+2 except that sometimes I'm in the mood for that beautiful inline 4 scream above 6k!   :)

Mine screams "thank you for throwing that p.o.s. bazooka that weighs a ton in the dumpster".

elp_jc

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 12:43:54 AM »
After much research, and input from Ted (who has an AreaP), I'll go with the Two Brothers's M5 with the P1 sound suppressor. Here's a sound clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_b8UE4V1o

Both AreaP and uncorked TBR M5 sound awesome, but they're too loud at higher rpm and under acceleration. With the P1 insert, I think we still get the throaty sound, but more refined and subdued. Plus it goes better with a sport-tourer like the Connie IMO. And if it's still too loud, there's the P1X insert, which still sounds nicer than stock, but not throaty anymore. With the AreaP, if you don't like the loudness, you're screwed, since there're no inserts for that pipe. I also like the TBR M5 not having a clamp at the pipe, and no screw for the inserts. Plus even the very nice C/F black series (which I'd get), WITH either sound suppressing insert, is cheaper than the AreaP ($403+30 insert=$433 shipped vs $486 shipped). I like the AreaP endcap better, but the TBR M5 better overall, especially since you can quiet it as much as you want if needed. The P1X endcap could be cut in half, making it louder than the P1X but quieter than the P1. I'm sure the P1 will be enough for me. I wear earplugs and even uncorked wouldn't bother me, but don't like to alert the police miles away that I'm coming. Like the throaty sound, but subdued, hence the M5 P1 for me.

Offline st2sam

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 06:30:40 AM »
After much research, and input from Ted (who has an AreaP), I'll go with the Two Brothers's M5 with the P1 sound suppressor. Here's a sound clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_b8UE4V1o

Both AreaP and uncorked TBR M5 sound awesome, but they're too loud at higher rpm and under acceleration. With the P1 insert, I think we still get the throaty sound, but more refined and subdued. Plus it goes better with a sport-tourer like the Connie IMO. And if it's still too loud, there's the P1X insert, which still sounds nicer than stock, but not throaty anymore. With the AreaP, if you don't like the loudness, you're screwed, since there're no inserts for that pipe. I also like the TBR M5 not having a clamp at the pipe, and no screw for the inserts. Plus even the very nice C/F black series (which I'd get), WITH either sound suppressing insert, is cheaper than the AreaP ($403+30 insert=$433 shipped vs $486 shipped). I like the AreaP endcap better, but the TBR M5 better overall, especially since you can quiet it as much as you want if needed. The P1X endcap could be cut in half, making it louder than the P1X but quieter than the P1. I'm sure the P1 will be enough for me. I wear earplugs and even uncorked wouldn't bother me, but don't like to alert the police miles away that I'm coming. Like the throaty sound, but subdued, hence the M5 P1 for me.
IMO your making the right choice. I had my TB pipe waiting for me to install ASAP. (The stock pipe has a total of 8mi. on it.)
The TB CF pipe has 58,000mi. on it! I have the DB reducing insert installed from the start. IMO a well made product that is holding up very well. :thumbs:
Installation day pic..

2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)