Author Topic: Anyone have any advise / cautions about living around the DC area?  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Anyone have any advise / cautions about living around the DC area?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
Be advised MD is not 2nd Amendment friendly.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
So my youngest pup is about to start a job working for the federal gummit, right smack- dab in the center of Washington, DC (the proverbial 'belly of the beast').
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
But it appears that VA is.

Thanks- that is a consideration.

Brian

Be advised MD is not 2nd Amendment friendly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
 ;D

Yep, there is truth in that. But at the same time, Washington does have quite a few sights to see, and there are many things nearby that can easily be done in a day trip. For example: I have been trying to get to Aberdeen proving grounds to see the museum and collected pieces there for years; I delayed so long that they actually moved the museum to VA :-(  Still, it could be a great day trip for me and perhaps my son to visit from wherever he ends up around the D.C. area. So me and the Mrs. can go to visit them, and I (and perhaps Jared) can in turn go visit the ordinance at Ft Lee, Virginia.

Brian

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
Don't forget the Tank museum in Danville or the D-Day memorial in Bedford...  There's an aircraft museum in Va Beach.  Air and Space in Hampton.  Ft. Eustis has a museum as well.  We're just full of sites to see here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »
I didn't get to see much when I was in the area but Arlington National Cemetary was a soul moving experience.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
  MD is not 2nd amendment friendly or tax friendly. Something like 40 different taxes on the books. They even tax you for the amount of rain that hits your roof. No, really. A recent poll had nearly half say they would move out of MD if they could.  I'm spoiled here in VA. Very 2nd amendment friendly(open carry ok and conceal carry permits are easily obtainable), and the tax rates are lower. If you're interested in history, VA has the market cornered in that department from Jamestown to the Revolution to Civil War etc. Pretty much which ever place you decide, the commute is going to suck. Oh, us native Virginians don't really consider NoVA as VA, you have to go farther south than the Rappahannock and west of Leesburg to find the real VA.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
I moved heaven and earth to get the heck out of MD.  My advice?  Don't, food stamps would be safer, more abundant, and easier to obtain than good living arrangements for a family.

I would recommend Jared do a u turn and return to WA State.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
VA used to be a good size state before the War of Northern Aggression.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
I traveled to the Crystal City and Rosslyn areas of DC at least once a month in the 2000s.  Personally, I would rather have a tiny apartment and be as close to work as possible even if it means I couldn't save any money untill I got a few promotions.  Definitely an expensive area to live.  Hopefully his salary reflects the higher cost of living. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
Well, my son is on his way back after grabbing an apartment apparently. He ended up in the Quantico, VA area (not actually Quantico, just near there). It looks like a decent spot with a lousy commute to DC (as opposed to a horrible commute to DC  ;) ). He is renting so he can move after a while if someplace else looks better, has a better commute (though that is not likely IMO), etc.

I just wanted to say thanks for those who took the time to give me some insight into that general area. It IS appreciated and definitely did help him in making this move.

Brian

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »
Tell hime welcome to VA!  Shoot me a PM with the address or community and I can give you some local info if you want it.  That's actually a pretty nice area.  Easy access to I-95 and HOV (or HOT lanes).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
Will do- thanks again!

Yeah, he mentioned something called the 'slug line'. ?? Apparently people driving w/out enough other people in the car to use the HOV lanes drive through the madding crowd shouting out where they are going and other people 'hop in'. Apparently this is not without some difficulties though- the driver falling asleep, drunk driving and some other tales, tall or otherwise. I do have to say though that calling it the 'slug line' does not set it up for good expectations.  ;D

Brian

Tell hime welcome to VA!  Shoot me a PM with the address or community and I can give you some local info if you want it.  That's actually a pretty nice area.  Easy access to I-95 and HOV (or HOT lanes).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
Be that as it may...it does seem to work for quite a few people down here.  My son-in-law's mother uses it and has been for years.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.