Author Topic: PR2 Tire sidewall mark question. New tire with yellow stripe.  (Read 5886 times)

Offline marku8a

I received my new set of PR2s from Jake Wilson today (fast ship by the way). The front tire is 120/70/17 and has a couple of yellow marks on the sidewalls. Both marks are about 1/4 x 1" and located on each side of the tire. They do not appear to align with anything noteworthy like tire pressure or rotation direction. The tire has "Made in Thailand" molded on the sidewall.

The rear tire does not have the same yellow marks and has "Made in Spain" molded in the sidewall.

Any scoop as to what the yellow marks are all about?

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline rcannon409

Re: PR2 Tire sidewall mark question. New tire with yellow stripe.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:43:12 PM »
One dot, or line, should show the light side of the tire. The other, the light spot in the tire.  They've stopped doign this on the pr3's, though.

This was from Michelin, from years back. The newest tires are supposed to be so perfect this is no longer necessary.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
I've had four sets of PR2 and have never seen that.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »
Yup, I've never seen a "light spot" on a Michelin tire.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
Yup, I've never seen a "light spot" on a Michelin tire.

+1

What's the date on the tire?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
Just wanted to say I love these tires! I have them on my sport bike (which I do tons of canyon riding on) and they stick like glue and have a relatively lengthy tread life. No reason to shell out the extra dough for the PR3's unless you frequently ride in the rain or on wet surfaces.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
+1

+2
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
Just wanted to say I love these tires! I have them on my sport bike (which I do tons of canyon riding on) and they stick like glue and have a relatively lengthy tread life. No reason to shell out the extra dough for the PR3's unless you frequently ride in the rain or on wet surfaces.

I totally agree with you. I ride in the rain quite frequently, or did when it rained around here, and still don't see the difference with the PR3s. Will be ordering Pr2s again for the next set.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm putting my fourth set of PR2's on later this week (three sets ordered from Jake Wilson) and I have never noticed a yellow stripe.  I have had tires made in Thailand and Spain, I haven't noticed a difference between them.

Could possibly be a mark from an inspector at the Michelin factory since they would only check a very small percentage of the tires that roll off the assembly line.  That would explain the reason why nobody has noticed it before.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I also love the PR2's since they give good life and great performance.  Try the 190/55!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Not sure. I looked it over closely. I am pretty good at de-coding markings on things but didn't find anything resembling a date.

I called Jake Wilson. Just speculation on their part with no solid answer.

I called the Michelin Motorcycle Tire customer support. The reply was that they do not mark tires for weight variation. In fact the only marking should be molded in the tire with the exception of a bar code on the bead surface. I did see the bar code. Their theory is that they are marks that were put on by a distributor in the supply chain for inventory control. They recommended to ignore them and just mount the tire paying attention to the rotation direction.

Mark
2009 C14 Red

Offline marku8a

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Oh and I forgot to mention that I also love the PR2's since they give good life and great performance.  Try the 190/55!

Jeremy - Already done! I got the 190/55 thanks to the recommendations on the forum. I have an 09 with the original tires. I was very disappointed on my first ride in the twisties. It steers like a truck without power steering. I thought I  made a huge mistake buying the bike but was relieved to see that the tires make a difference. I put 3k on the originals with the front needing replacement. I am really looking forward to see if the improved handling claims hold true for me!

Mark
2009 C14 Red

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
The right tires make a huge difference on the C14.  The brickstones don't do it justice.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:08 AM »
Not sure. I looked it over closely. I am pretty good at de-coding markings on things but didn't find anything resembling a date.

I called Jake Wilson. Just speculation on their part with no solid answer.

I called the Michelin Motorcycle Tire customer support. The reply was that they do not mark tires for weight variation. In fact the only marking should be molded in the tire with the exception of a bar code on the bead surface. I did see the bar code. Their theory is that they are marks that were put on by a distributor in the supply chain for inventory control. They recommended to ignore them and just mount the tire paying attention to the rotation direction.

Mark

Take a look at this site, it shows you how to decode the date 'stamp'.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »
Michelin does randomly stripe the tire on the tread area. Never seen it on the side wall.

The bar code on the bead is matched to the valve stem.
They have been using that for years.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »

First I've heard that one.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
Michelin does randomly stripe the tire on the tread area. Never seen it on the side wall.

not according to Michelin.. :nuts:
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline marku8a

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Take a look at this site, it shows you how to decode the date 'stamp'.

Conrad - Thanks! Looking at the tire in question it was manufactured week 21 of 2011.

The first call I made to Michelin yesterday sent me to voice mail so I left a message. I made another call later in the day and talked to a Michelin customer service rep that said there is no marking applied that indicates a recommended installation orientation other than rotation direction. I received a return call today from the message I left yesterday. He confirmed the same saying they stopped marking for weight variation with the switch from bias ply tires to radial. The manufacturing methods are much more consistent. He added the comment that the bar code and yellow marks were for inventory control.

Mark
2009 C14 Red