Author Topic: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals  (Read 12780 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
See this post for just parts used in this adventure: http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25180.msg314649#msg314649

I did some digging and some research. I got LED headlights that work in the OEM housings and still allow the OEM headlight boots to fit. I installed all the lighting in the beginning of March and I've been riding around with them all summer. I've had no issues with brightness or heat. The LED turn signals are BRIGHT. Super bright. So much so that the picture with the original still in the bike looks unlit. The LED headlights are a fair bit brighter and a lot whiter. Where the LED chips are mounted works perfectly with the OEM housing an the light throw is correct. I have not had any issues with them being too bright for oncoming traffic.

Here's a pic with the old headlight and LIT hazard/turn on the left and LEDs on the right.

With the city lights installed and hazards lit:

City lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/
Headlights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/
Turn Signals: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHMNDF2/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 06:55:14 PM by Big Red »
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
Re: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 07:46:25 AM »
Nice! I really like the idea of having brighter signals. I'm just about to start looking for a brighter tail light. I had a blaster-x on my last bike... it was BRIGHT when you hit the brakes, and it also flashed 4or 5 times in the first 1/4 second you hit the brakes to really draw attention to it. Hopefully I can find something similiar for the Concours as the tail light doesn't look all that bright to me.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 07:56:04 AM »
I installed a small tail light below the original and added one of these.
It make's the new light do a series of flashes and then remain on.
(One could also be added to the stock tail light)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313622165660

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »
I installed a small tail light below the original and added one of these.
It make's the new light do a series of flashes and then remain on.
(One could also be added to the stock tail light)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313622165660

Ride safe, Ted

Ted - Is the original tail-light LED? I haven't even looked at it yet. Just wondering as that strobe controller is, I think, just for LED lights?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
I'm just about to start looking for a brighter tail light. I had a blaster-x on my last bike... it was BRIGHT when you hit the brakes, and it also flashed 4or 5 times in the first 1/4 second you hit the brakes to really draw attention to it. Hopefully I can find something similiar for the Concours as the tail light doesn't look all that bright to me.

https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2505.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »
I dont think Admore is doing lights anymore. I went with a Bright2Wheels direct replacement and ive been very happy with it. I think they even have one with a flash module.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:32:06 AM »
Ted - Is the original tail-light LED? I haven't even looked at it yet. Just wondering as that strobe controller is, I think, just for LED lights?

The original is LED. And the Bright2Wheels replacement works very well. I've been super happy with it. https://www.bright2wheels.com/products/led-tail-light-kawasaki-concours-14-2008-2010

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »
The original is LED. And the Bright2Wheels replacement works very well. I've been super happy with it. https://www.bright2wheels.com/products/led-tail-light-kawasaki-concours-14-2008-2010

BR - I found that light but couldn't really tell if it had the two things I wanted... 1) Brighter, and 2) Flashing. I don't see anything mentioning the flash on the product description. Maybe I'll email them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »
I dont think Admore is doing lights anymore. I went with a Bright2Wheels direct replacement and ive been very happy with it. I think they even have one with a flash module.

Sure they are:

https://admorelighting.com/product/admore-smt-light-bar-small/?v=707f3a40153b

All the same features as what I had on my model, amber animated turn, momentary multiflash, license bracket.  They aren't cheap, but they are high quality.

The Bright2Wheels looks nice as a replacement of existing light, but I like the addition of another plus separation for a larger footprint.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
I just ordered a LED light strip. Im going to try mounting it to the edge of the luggage rack. I’ll post the results.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 04:54:21 PM »
That should work.

I replaced my License Plate Light with this LED Taillight.
& Discarded the License plate mount that came with it.
Instead of the stock license plate light, I use the running light to illuminate the license plate, and I wired the brake and amber turn signals together.
I also added the blinker I listed above.
When I apply the brake, it blink's amber and red,,, 3 fast, 3 slow, and then stay's on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351177747091?hash=item51c3d32a93:g:NtIAAOSwEK9UIOUX

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:44:56 AM by connie_rider »

Offline Rexter

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 07:19:32 PM »
I added Whelen LIN3 red lights for the brake/turn lights. The stock unit is now a tail light only.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
Light bar on the luggage rack. Click the bottom one for the vid.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:01:05 PM by Big Red »

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
Big Red - Nicely done! I really like the LED strip. Do you have it set up as just a brake light (meaning it ONLY illuminates when brakes are applied), only a tail light (always on), or something else?

I'm thinking I want something that is just for brakes... ideally it would be BIG, BRIGHT, and FLASHING! Maybe even some sirens? LOL (kind of). I have to turn left off of a main road on my way home from work. It's not uncommon that I have to wait for 10-20 seconds at a complete stand-still waiting to make my turn... when I'm stopped there I feel like a sitting duck with traffic whipping past me at 40mph. When I'm in my truck they go W-A-Y over to the side and ride in the shoulder to pass me. On my bike, they feel like they have the extra space so they have no issue driving just a few feet to my right. And yes, I've tried going another route... I can go past that turn and make one of two additional left turns... and I've done that if it looks like I might be stopped for a while... but sometimes the next two left's are just as bad and I have to make the turn at some point to get home.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 02:31:25 PM »
It is set up as running and brake light. It has turn signals, and can be wired as just a stop light, like a 3rd brake light in a car. If you click the last pic, it’ll take you to a video of it. I’ll try to remember to do another tonight.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 02:34:25 PM »
I’ve also got those reflective thingies on my saddle bags. I found that helped with some space issues. At some point it becomes counter productive because people steer the direction they’re looking.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Click the bottom one to see the video.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 01:27:57 AM »
Thanks, Big Red! The video helps alot. Can you post a link to the lights trip you used? I may copy you.  ;)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJGCR9U/

I drilled a 3/16 hole into the back of the luggage rack to run the wire under it. Then I ran the wire between the tail light and the rack support. Can't even see it when I know it's there.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 09:42:21 AM »
Looks good.
I are impressed!

Ride safe, Ted