Author Topic: Aftermarket seat recommendations?  (Read 18703 times)

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
Re: Aftermarket seat recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
I want one!  8) 8) 8)

Me too! Might have to redesign the front for the attachment. I'm sure ZG would be up for leading the prototype development! ;D
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
I have done over 1000 miles in a day on the stock seat, but wanted to get something better.
Bought a Sargent and it was unbearable after 150 miles.  I just could not get comfortable on it.
Bought a Corbin.  Seems hard as a rock and I was unsure about it. Have since gone over 700 miles in a day and find that it fits my rear.  I did find that I needed to put risers on the bike to make the Corbin comfortable as the design caused me to lean forward.  I ride further back on the corbin then I did the other two.

Good luck!

I agree about the Corbin seating position. Just raising the bars doesn't help completely, it would be better if you could bring the bars back a touch. I have a 2009. Also, the front is a bit too rounded, humped, which causes some pain at times. They seem to have made the Corbin for Kim Kardashian. It is a decent seat though. As far as the Sargent is concerned, I put a lot of 800+ mile days on it and it was good originally, but seemed to break down a bit after a few thousand miles.

Offline xsv

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
I agree about the Corbin seating position. Just raising the bars doesn't help completely, it would be better if you could bring the bars back a touch. I have a 2009. Also, the front is a bit too rounded, humped, which causes some pain at times. They seem to have made the Corbin for Kim Kardashian. It is a decent seat though. As far as the Sargent is concerned, I put a lot of 800+ mile days on it and it was good originally, but seemed to break down a bit after a few thousand miles.

The risers I installed advertise a 3/4" pull back.  Prior to the risers I found myself doing some finger tip driving on the highway to take some pressure off of my back.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Me too! Might have to redesign the front for the attachment. I'm sure ZG would be up for leading the prototype development! ;D

:o :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »

The PE bars do exactly that (bring them back towards you) and are a perfect marriage with the Corbin seat.

When Corbin built my seat I had them do what they call a "nose job", it take's that hump on the front out, feels great to me.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
The risers I installed advertise a 3/4" pull back.  Prior to the risers I found myself doing some finger tip driving on the highway to take some pressure off of my back.

Mine brings them back a bit as well. I don't mind leaning forward, I came from an RC51 last, the Corbin just isn't really shaped right for the type of bike the C14 is. 

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »

The PE bars do exactly that (bring them back towards you) and are a perfect marriage with the Corbin seat.

When Corbin built my seat I had them do what they call a "nose job", it take's that hump on the front out, feels great to me.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

I remember you had that done. I have talked to Corbin and they are willing to cut the nose down, or even replace the foam with a softer foam. Unfortunately I gave them special instructions when I had it made and they ignored them, they sent their usual seat.

Overall it is okay, I just believe it is made for someone with a large ass compared to mine. I would prefer it to not be dished out so much, that would also help get me off of the parts I don't want to be on. I still haven't decided if I just want them to do the nose job or replace the foam. In the meantime, I have been riding it and occasionally I compress the nose to help it break down a bit.

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
I have a hate-hate relationship with stock seats. Maybe it's because I'm tall, I'll never know what a seat would feel like if I was 5'8". Anyhow, the stock Concours 14 seat inches me forward as I ride, bunching up my underwear and pants into my crotch. It gets old quick. Interestingly, I had a Yamaha FJR1300, same thing. Well, I bought a Saddleman Explorer RS seat. About half as bad as stock for forward tilt and inching forward. Still not acceptable. I have emailed Saddlemen, asking if they can fix their own seats. I also asked if they knew their seats did not cure the forward tilt problem. An automated answer stated that they were busy, and a reply might take a while. Not what I would call great customer service. I'll keep the Saddlemen seat until I get a Baldwin seat made on my stock seat pan. Mid August, I was quoted. Then the Saddlemen will be for sale. I'll let you know how the Baldwin works out. I am optimistic.
Anything with two wheels and a motor is good.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
I didn't have a problem with the stock seat.... I just wanted a Smuggler ;)
Heated seat???? you NUTS ...NOT in south Florida :o
I might get a sheep skin for trips.
Corbin said they could but soft foam in place  of the stock foam for free , life time warranty  :chugbeer:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »

Corbin said they could but soft foam in place  of the stock foam for free , life time warranty  :chugbeer:

Yeah, that's what they told me. I have more of an issue with the shape. I am concerned the soft foam will break down too much. I would love to know exactly how soft the foam is and if it compares to the Sargent. If it was in between the two it might be okay. If they made the seat to resemble something other than the Grand Canyon I believe it would be better.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
I have a hate-hate relationship with stock seats. Maybe it's because I'm tall, I'll never know what a seat would feel like if I was 5'8".

If you have short legs (like some of us), it doesn't matter much how it feels because the most important thing is having the lowest seat possible :(   Low = less foam = less comfort, unfortunately.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BMahar

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
   Russell Day Long Seat. Very comfortable and as it's name indicates, you can ride all day. The only draw back is that it does raise the distance between the seat and the ground by about 1 1/2"'s.
 This is a busy time of year to get a custom seat built, so be prepared for an extended wait time. No matter who you have build it.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
I sent my stock seat out to Baldwin Saddle, was pretty pleased with it for the most part..

Because of my height I had it shaved some so I could sit further back and added a gel insert..

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki%20Concours%2014%20GT.htm
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline webnetxpress

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
Guess there are a ton of aftermarket seat makers.  I chose a Rick Mayer

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/gallery/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Dual-XL.jpg

My wife and I do 8 hour days and she has never complained about her butt being sore.  Enough said!

Offline petepro

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »
It is a shame we don't have loaner seats on this forum like the loaner windshields.
It would be great to try a seat or two before buying. 

Seat manufacturers would benefit also.   

They would be able to win over a customer by the seat of his/hers pants.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
It is a shame we don't have loaner seats on this forum like the loaner windshields.
It would be great to try a seat or two before buying. 

Seat manufacturers would benefit also.   

They would be able to win over a customer by the seat of his/hers pants.

I'm sure that the shipping cost would be significantly more for seats than it is for the windshields. Plus, that "break-in" of the seats wouldn't quite work out. Good concept though.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
I took the bike to Cincinnati Saturday and came back Sunday. It is 320 miles one way. I stopped for gas once but didn't get off the bike.  For me, as far as trips go, it was a short one. I took the Corbin off today and put the Sargent back on. I also took the risers off. I think they may contribute to the sliding forward a bit. I will send the Corbin back for adjustment. I really wish they would have made it a little more like the Sargent. The Corbin is dished too much for me and as we mentioned before, the front is rounded too much causing pain. I will probably try their softer foam. I like a firm saddle, but I was in pain by the time I got home last night.

On my bicycle, I ride with a leather seat, all it is is a formed piece of leather, no padding. I am fine on it all day. I rode form Pittsburgh to Washington DC with no problem on it, the longest day being 70 miles, so a firm seat is no issue. The leather bicycle seat has a bir more flex than the Corbin does for me though, and the weight is on the sit bones, not the soft parts.

I hope they can make this seat comfortable, if not I will stay with the Sargent.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
I took the bike to Cincinnati Saturday and came back Sunday. It is 320 miles one way. I stopped for gas once but didn't get off the bike.  For me, as far as trips go, it was a short one. I took the Corbin off today and put the Sargent back on. I also took the risers off. I think they may contribute to the sliding forward a bit. I will send the Corbin back for adjustment. I really wish they would have made it a little more like the Sargent. The Corbin is dished too much for me and as we mentioned before, the front is rounded too much causing pain. I will probably try their softer foam. I like a firm saddle, but I was in pain by the time I got home last night.

On my bicycle, I ride with a leather seat, all it is is a formed piece of leather, no padding. I am fine on it all day. I rode form Pittsburgh to Washington DC with no problem on it, the longest day being 70 miles, so a firm seat is no issue. The leather bicycle seat has a bir more flex than the Corbin does for me though, and the weight is on the sit bones, not the soft parts.

I hope they can make this seat comfortable, if not I will stay with the Sargent.

That's exactly how I felt about my Corbin when I first put it on. But after about a 1000 miles it became more comfortable and now 2 years and 20,000 miles later I love my Corbin.

Offline PH14

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
That's exactly how I felt about my Corbin when I first put it on. But after about a 1000 miles it became more comfortable and now 2 years and 20,000 miles later I love my Corbin.

I have about 7,000 miles on my Corbin.

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
To my surprise, I found that the risers do contribute to the sliding forward problem. I bought a Saddlemen Explorer RS seat, found that it was about half as bad as stock in the sliding forward category. I removed my 2" risers and the Saddlemen seat is very close to acceptable. In fact, I have hope that it will break in, and with wise clothing choices, be a good seat. I am beginning to like it, it is comfortable.  Not quite on subject, but worth saying. Without the risers, my C14 feels like the evil spawn of the ZX14, rather than a wanna be Gold Wing.
Anything with two wheels and a motor is good.