Author Topic: rotors  (Read 18695 times)

Offline gorinaboubou

rotors
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:58:14 AM »
what is the best rotors oem or aftermarket  after tow set on warranty and set of galfer still have pulsation what is the best ?????   2008 abs

Son of Pappy

Re: rotors
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:38:07 AM »
EBCs.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
I think the "best" directly relates to how much you want to spend.  Do you need low dollar, or $$$$.

The rotors here are amazing, and priced as such.  http://www.solomotoparts.com/Brake-Tech-Axis-310mm-Iron-Full-Floating-Front-Brake-Rotors-for-ZX14-Ninja-06-12/?gclid=CJvGqZGD0bwCFepFMgodJWEAQg

EBC, as mentioned, are probably better than we get in stock form.    On this particular caliper, I'm not convinced we have a "rotor issue"  WHAT???  Huh?

I took my calipers down at 8000 miles. They were filthy inside. TONS of brake dust. The sliding pins were gummed up.  Thats not too many miles, compared to what most here do.  I think the dirty caliper causes the pads to not fully retract. That little bit of extra drag creates big heat, causing the pad deposits or warping. Plus, I think our stock 08 pads are aggressive and may run hotter than the later pads.

It is the internet, so I reserve the right to be full of ****.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
I agree that the rotor issue is not a "warp" but I will give Galfer the nod for replacement rotor.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
After having both of mine changed after 2500 because they were warped I have taken to rotating my bobbins every week, I have a nut and bolt whose heads fit the bobbin and I simply tighten them up and they grip and rotate while giving it a blast of disk cleaner, which I also fire into the caliper as well.

Once a month I pop the pads out and clean them.

So far my brakes and disks are awesome, no warping and stopping is great, and very little wear now the bike has done some 14k miles.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:28:30 PM by BigAlan »
2011 in Black

Offline Cuda

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
I've put 12,000 miles on in two years and my rotors look new, I don't do anything to them and  normally only use my front brake and then only my  center finger on the brake , yeah that one ;)
EBC rotors are the best value.

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
After having both of mine changed after 2500 because they were warped I have taken to rotating my bobbins every week, I have a but and bolt whose heads fit the bobbin and I simply tighten them up and they grip and rotate while giving it a blast of disk cleaner, which I also fire into the caliper as well.
Once a month I pop the pads out and clean them.
So far my brakes and disks are awesome, no warping and stopping is great, and very little wear now the bike has done some 14k miles.
Alan

We obviously speak different dialects of the same language.  Please tell me and perhaps others just what a "bobbin" is.  Also, "I have a but and bolt whose heads fit the bobbin" is indecipherable to me.  Can you possible explain the meaning of this in a way that an American can know what you're talking about?
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
We obviously speak different dialects of the same language.  Please tell me and perhaps others just what a "bobbin" is.  Also, "I have a but and bolt whose heads fit the bobbin" is indecipherable to me.  Can you possible explain the meaning of this in a way that an American can know what you're talking about?

I edited it, ok a bobbin this side of the pond is the round bit between the disk carrier bolted to the wheel and the actual disk itself, they have to rotate to give you the floating disk which it is.

The other was nut and bolt, I simply put one in the bobbin and tighten it up and like magic it turns the bobbin for me while I spray it with disk cleaner.

Alan
2011 in Black

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »
I edited it, ok a bobbin this side of the pond is the round bit between the disk carrier bolted to the wheel and the actual disk itself, they have to rotate to give you the floating disk which it is.
The other was nut and bolt, I simply put one in the bobbin and tighten it up and like magic it turns the bobbin for me while I spray it with disk cleaner.
Alan

Thank you Alan.  As for the question asked by the originator of this thread, I have no idea who offers the best rotors for the C14 as I have found the brakes on my own C14 to be far superior to any on other bikes I've either owned or ridden.  I have experienced no brake related issues of any kind.  When my stock pads wore thin I replaced them with Galfer ceramic pads.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
EBCs.

+1 on EBC.  My OEM rotors were warped within 12K (and no I do not ride the brakes).   No issues with EBC in the last 15K.

Ride safe... 8)
Dave

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
I used my OEMs up somewhere around 24ishk miles, never warped.  Track days twice a year and a daily I5 commute ate them up (ask BDF how bad they were).  I went to the EBCs and it made a real world difference.  32,000 miles of the same type of use and the EBC rotors still looked fresh.  Of all the pads I tried/wore out the EBC pads worked the best and gave the best feed back  Think 150s hard on the binders into turn one.  Stock rotors and Corbonne Loraines faded bad at 130s, and had a long break in period where they just felt wooden and rain did them no favors.  Galfer pads felt tinny at the lever, I didn't run them to death.  If/when I have another C14 my priorities will be easy, swat the flies when I install the ZX14TBs, full AreaP exhaust, PCV, tune, and EBC rotors and pads.  And of course my fav set of tires with a 55 profile tire out back.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:33 AM »
EBCs.

Definately!! Had 2 sets of OEM's replaced because of warping, swapped over to EBC's and never looked back!!  :)

Offline gorinaboubou

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
thank you for our comments but wich model of ebc i need

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
thank you for our comments but wich model of ebc i need

I currently have these...

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/floating-mc-rotors/

But might try out these to have green hubs... :-\

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/colour-options-for-vee-rotors/

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »

EBC, as mentioned, are probably better than we get in stock form.   

It is the internet, so I reserve the right to be full of ****.

OK sir, since you you posted the disclaimer I won't call you out on "probably better" 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
Do you order the EBC directly from them or is there an online provider you went through? My front rotors are pulsating now and will need to buy both front and rear.

Offline gorinaboubou

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 03:26:31 AM »
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/     vee-rotors + hh pads works very good

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:27 AM »
Excellent, thanks for posting that.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 05:45:46 AM »
well, add me to the list of in need of rotors,
Ebc, what model are people having good luck with, the vee-rotors or something else
also any feedback on the "imported rotors" all over ebay, some seem to have great results with them.
the other option is galfor, but spendy with the rotors and pads too.

thanks guys