Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727067 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1880 on: February 06, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
I beg to differ and think I am right- next time you get a cold, try the laxative treatment and see if it does not work.... I'll betcha' a 3- pack of BVD's.

Brian

You, Sir, are NOT right!  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1881 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
I, too, beg to differ. I am quite sure that you are correct concerning the aforementioned remedy, however, you are still not RIGHT  :)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1882 on: February 06, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »
I think he means  :loco: :nuts: , Brian, which of course, you are.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1883 on: February 06, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Hey, you may be right Jim. I did not get that right away though and I am absolutely sure I am right about the laxative part.

:-)

And don't forget, you people are getting the filtered results: I have to deal with the raw, initial thoughts which frankly is a little unnerving.

Brian

I think he means  :loco: :nuts: , Brian, which of course, you are.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1884 on: February 06, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Sound kind of like: "The voices in my head are back.... EXCELLENT!"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1885 on: February 07, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
Today started out a little strange.  Working on a job in Franklin, VA and staying at the Hilton Garden in Suffolk.  Got up this morning early, felt good and decided to stop and eat breakfast at the Ihop there.  Get in try to pour syrup on the pancakes and it doesn't come out of the thingy..  Unscrew the top and it comes out...more than expected.  Nice puddle on the table as it overflows the plate.  Oh my.  Get the bill and get ready to walk out and there's a bedbug on my coat sleeve... :yikes: and  :yikes: .  Promptly kill the blood sucker and then start wondering where the hell did I pick that up.  I'm thinking not at the Hilton Garden with all the white sheets and stuff.  I'm thinking it must have been at the Ihop from the seat I was sitting in as it was outside the coat I was wearing.  Geez...  I then start itching everywhere just thinking about it.

Talk to the guy I'm working with and he said his wife was attacked by the blighters in a hotel up in Woodbridge.  The ones that advertize they use ultraviolet to sanitize the rooms.  I said your wife must be proud to have started them to do that.

Anyway, on the way home I see a red C14 traveling down 35 heading to south to Courtland.....sigh.

Get home and the grandson says the Internet isn't working.....crap.  Just noticed that the side of the road in front of the house has been tore up for a new cable going to my cable box.  Call the cable company and say no internet, not happy.  They'll send someone out but if it's my fault I'll have to pay.  I bite my lip and say.....really?  Coincidentally there's cable work outside and my internet isn't working...right, it's my fault.

Get all my clothes off (don't even picture it as it will haunt you forever) in a garbage bag to be washed in high pressure steam.  Leave the coat in the garage along with the travel bag and shoes...decontamination on Sunday.  Tech comes out and by golly gee, there's a break in the wire where the cable contractor cut my cable.  Tech fixes it and is going to request a complete rewire to the house as he thinks there are too many splices..

I try this new beer and it sucks...  Devil's backbone IPA.....ugh.  Their Vienna Lager on the other hand  :chugbeer: Life is good.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1886 on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »
I thought for absolutely sure this was going to end.... "So what was the bedbug's name.". You know, like the bus driver story.

:-)

Brian

Today started out a little strange.  Working on a job in Franklin, VA and staying at the Hilton Garden in Suffolk.  Got up this morning early, felt good and decided to stop and eat breakfast at the Ihop there.  Get in try to pour syrup on the pancakes and it doesn't come out of the thingy..  Unscrew the top and it comes out...more than expected.  Nice puddle on the table as it overflows the plate.  Oh my.  Get the bill and get ready to walk out and there's a bedbug on my coat sleeve... :yikes: and  :yikes: .  Promptly kill the blood sucker and then start wondering where the hell did I pick that up.  I'm thinking not at the Hilton Garden with all the white sheets and stuff.  I'm thinking it must have been at the Ihop from the seat I was sitting in as it was outside the coat I was wearing.  Geez...  I then start itching everywhere just thinking about it.

Talk to the guy I'm working with and he said his wife was attacked by the blighters in a hotel up in Woodbridge.  The ones that advertize they use ultraviolet to sanitize the rooms.  I said your wife must be proud to have started them to do that.

Anyway, on the way home I see a red C14 traveling down 35 heading to south to Courtland.....sigh.

Get home and the grandson says the Internet isn't working.....crap.  Just noticed that the side of the road in front of the house has been tore up for a new cable going to my cable box.  Call the cable company and say no internet, not happy.  They'll send someone out but if it's my fault I'll have to pay.  I bite my lip and say.....really?  Coincidentally there's cable work outside and my internet isn't working...right, it's my fault.

Get all my clothes off (don't even picture it as it will haunt you forever) in a garbage bag to be washed in high pressure steam.  Leave the coat in the garage along with the travel bag and shoes...decontamination on Sunday.  Tech comes out and by golly gee, there's a break in the wire where the cable contractor cut my cable.  Tech fixes it and is going to request a complete rewire to the house as he thinks there are too many splices..

I try this new beer and it sucks...  Devil's backbone IPA.....ugh.  Their Vienna Lager on the other hand  :chugbeer: Life is good.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1887 on: February 08, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Jim I've had much better luck lately with the "Hyatt Place" for the same price  over the Hilton.

But anyway, I've been avoiding Marriott and Wingate properties, I'd about rather sleep at the airport
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1888 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30:34 AM »
Did you know that Monet developed cataracts late in life that left him struggling to paint?  At age 82 he agreed to have his left eye lens removed and while that did improve his color sense, it enhanced it so that he could see the ultraviolet spectrum.  This 'colored' his paintings from then on...  Monet is one of my favorite artists.

http://www.downloadtheuniverse.com/dtu/2012/04/monets-ultraviolet-eye.html

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1889 on: February 12, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »
Did you know that Monet developed cataracts late in life that left him struggling to paint?  At age 82 he agreed to have his left eye lens removed and while that did improve his color sense, it enhanced it so that he could see the ultraviolet spectrum.  This 'colored' his paintings from then on...  Monet is one of my favorite artists.

Who knew?!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1890 on: February 12, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »
To make the Van Gogh,  step on Degas ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1891 on: February 12, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »

Monet and Degas are my wife's two fav artists.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1892 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »
Showing today on TCM, "Lust For Life" a film about Van Gogh and when he meets Gauguin.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1893 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »
Ah chemists.... always tinkering around in the lab. But they do conjure up some good stuff, as well as bad but like almost everything in life, most of it is a mixed bag.

In 1897, a chemist working for the then- named company Aktiengesellschaft Farbenfabriken (A.G. Farben- which could be the subject of entirely new threads.... :-(   ), synthesized a new drug meant to replace codeine as a cough suppressant. Now this same drug had been independently discovered decades before in England but it did not progress. But in Germany, Heir Felix Hoffmann went further with the testing and discovered it was extremely effective as a cough suppressant, far better than the current remedy, codeine, and it had other benefits as well: it was not lethal in amounts many times the recommended dosage while codeine could cause death with as little a three- times dosage. Further, it was not habit- forming as codeine was. That alone made it a very useful drug but it turns out that it was also being marketed as an effective 'cure' for morphine addiction. It was cheap, easy to produce and readily available. Great! It was marked for the above listed treatments, widely used in the western world, and had no restrictions from between 1898 and 1910. But during that time, it was found that the drug was actually metabolized into morphine (hence the seeming curative effective for morphine addicts), was addictive in larger doses and absolutely would cause death, especially in the hands of untrained personal.... who were buying quite a bit of it 'over the counter'. One of Farben's biggest blunders but perhaps not the biggest one. Finally, it was made outright illegal in the US in 1914, although still used in some countries as a legal analgesic, yet it continues to be a widely available illicit drug to this day.

The drug was marked in the US by Farben's subsidiary, Bayer. As it was a very potent drug, Farben named is using the German word for 'strong, heroic': Heroin.  Today, the bottles are collector's items though most have been long empty.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1894 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:37 PM »
Tomorrow, 23 Feb., is the anniversary of the day Joe Rosenthal took the iconic photo of the US flag being raised on Iwo Jima, at one time at least, the most reproduced photo in the world. It was a staged photo, and actually shows the raising of the second, larger, flag at the same point on the same day.

The subjects of the photo are commonly believed to be six US Marines raising the flag on Mr. Suribachi but that is not true; the subjects are actually five US Marines and one US Navy Corpsman. As the US Marines does not have 'medics', they use Navy Corpsmen, and while serving in that capacity, the corpsmen wear the standard issue marine uniform; camouflaged fatigues in that photo. The Navy corpsman's name was John Bradley, and he was actually the last surviving member of that six- man group, passing away in 1994.

The interesting part, at least to me, is how he got to be in that place with those Marines. The book 'Flags of our fathers' was written by one of his sons and details what brought Mr. Bradley along that particular journey. It seems his father was in WWI, fighting in the trenches, and strongly suggest his son join the Navy rather than the Army or Marines (there was no Air Force at that time) as he would have a bunk and clean sheets to sleep on each night rather than ending up as a 'ground pounder', stuck in the filth and elements of the battlefield. He took his father's advice, joined the Navy but after the usual aptitude tests, was chosen to be a pharmacists mate and was assigned to the Marines as a corpsman. So by purposely avoiding anything that could lead him into ground combat, he ended up in active ground combat, some of the roughest, most gruesome fighting and conditions the Pacific theater of WWII.

John Bradley survived the war, married and had eight children, and spent the rest of his career as a funeral director and owner of a funeral parlor. He shunned all publicity about the events of WWII, and even his children were not aware of his being awarded the Navy Cross until after his death, when the found the medal in a shoe box in the closet. Unfortunately, Mr. Bradley suffered from what we now know as P.T.S.D. for the rest of his life.

So here is to all of them, all those who landed on those islands and fought their way forward in the face of people absolutely dedicated to die at that place, with their only goal being to take 10 Marines with them. But a special acknowledgement to Mr. Bradley who found himself in the middle of a mud Marine's fight after doing what he could to avoid such circumstance and yet did his job anyway, in spite of the risk, and when he was done desired nothing more than to be left alone and live a quiet and successful (by his measure: a family and a productive place in society, not wealth) life.

Brian

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1895 on: February 22, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
 :salute:  Nicely done, Brian. Thanks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1896 on: February 23, 2015, 05:31:47 AM »
Have you ever noticed, in movies and on TV, that whenever there's loud speakers in the scene/shot that the speaker grills have been removed?

I've often wondered why that is. The only answer that I can come up with is that movie makers must think that us viewers are too dumb to figure out what those boxes, with speaker wire attached, actually are all on our own. They remove the grills so that there is no question. One less thing to think about I guess? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1897 on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »
Have you ever noticed, in movies and on TV, that whenever there's loud speakers in the scene/shot that the speaker grills have been removed?

I've often wondered why that is. The only answer that I can come up with is that movie makers must think that us viewers are too dumb to figure out what those boxes, with speaker wire attached, actually are all on our own. They remove the grills so that there is no question. One less thing to think about I guess? 

Yeah, it seems the "artsy" folks always use the same props for "dramatic effect" (in their artsy mindset) that just seem to irk the rest of us (me anyway).
City streets at night are always wet, even if in a desert bound city. Warehouse/factory scenes always have a large fan with an unseen light  source behind it spinning at a ridiculously slow speed, florescent bulbs always flicker if it's supposed to be a creepy scene, large industrial abandoned factories always have a loose chain on the gate allowing easy access and all the electric power is still on and available. Any pipe that is hit by a bullet instantly shoots out high pressure steam, unless it's in a submarine in which case there is always a valve available 2 feet away that conveniently shuts it off. At least 50% of all female detectives/Federal agents wear high heels to work. Tires always squeal even if on a dirt road...the list goes on and on.  One thing that seems to have finally died out (it was very popular in the 50s and 60s) sick people no longer require a folded wet towel on their foreheads to let us know they are sick and being cared for by a caring person.  Hollywood seems to think we are all idiots. Then again, after watching people drive, maybe they are right for the most part.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1898 on: February 23, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
What are you saying Marty, city streets are NOT all wet at night? Warehouses do not have slow- spinning fans? Pipes do not spew steam? ?? ??? Now I do not know what to think? Are all of my views of the world wrong?

Nice Marty, in one paragraph you have shattered all of my illusions I have been building up for decades. You must be great to have around on Christmas....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Yeah, it seems the "artsy" folks always use the same props for "dramatic effect" (in their artsy mindset) that just seem to irk the rest of us (me anyway).
City streets at night are always wet, even if in a desert bound city. Warehouse/factory scenes always have a large fan with an unseen light  source behind it spinning at a ridiculously slow speed, florescent bulbs always flicker if it's supposed to be a creepy scene, large industrial abandoned factories always have a loose chain on the gate allowing easy access and all the electric power is still on and available. Any pipe that is hit by a bullet instantly shoots out high pressure steam, unless it's in a submarine in which case there is always a valve available 2 feet away that conveniently shuts it off. At least 50% of all female detectives/Federal agents wear high heels to work. Tires always squeal even if on a dirt road...the list goes on and on.  One thing that seems to have finally died out (it was very popular in the 50s and 60s) sick people no longer require a folded wet towel on their foreheads to let us know they are sick and being cared for by a caring person.  Hollywood seems to think we are all idiots. Then again, after watching people drive, maybe they are right for the most part.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1899 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »
What are you saying Marty, .......Are all of my views of the world wrong?

No Brian, I think most of your views on the world are crystal clear accurate, and right on the money. However, there is no doubt in my mind that you
are one warped individual.  ;)

AND...I'll have you know that I'm a ball to have around at Christmas. Just not sure which one, left or right.

..anyway..talking about nothing at all...

I wish PB&J was known as J&PB, at least at my house. Because of the order, I think most spread the peanut butter first and then (using the same knife) spread the jelly/jam second. Invariably this gets a little peanut butter in the jelly. Now as the jelly level goes down it becomes less clear as to what that mystery stuff is down there. Is it butter? Is it Peanut butter? Is it MOLD? It's unsightly whatever it is. I wouldn't mind a little jelly in with the peanut butter, fairly easy to see what it is and even remove it if needed. Not so with the jelly jar, it moves around and seems to avoid sticking to the knife and then when you do finally get it near the tip of the knife, it splits in two and now only half of it is removed.
They could at least spread the jelly first and then (when no one is looking) carefully lick the knife clean (like I do) before sticking it in the peanut butter jar.  8)