Author Topic: how often have you seen a hydrolocked engine occur?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline h2smokin

how often have you seen a hydrolocked engine occur?
« on: July 14, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
Hello there. I've been debating getting another Connie recently after having sold my C14 7 years ago. Looking at a C10 now. Very clean and reasonable price. My concern now is that a few months ago owner said it had 2 carbs leaking when out on a ride and ran good until stopped and was then running rough so has not run it since. My doubts are that they say quick easy transaction and I'm on my way but that they do not want to turn over the bike as it may have had some fuel leak into engine. I am leaning in to backing out of deal if I cannot pull tank and the plugs to see if it turns over.  I understand them not wanting to turn it over due to the leak but it seems to pull the tank and plugs not that big of a deal to see if it rolls over. What due you folks think?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: how often have you seen a hydrolocked engine occur?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
Yes. Perform the hydrolock depth test or walk away from the deal. There are plenty of these bikes that can be had for cheap. And from what I have heard some of these bikes may have had a small Hydro lock and still run fairly well. I still think the Hydrolock event itself is rare. but once it happens, it’s usually catastrophic. you should definitely check before you buy else you might end up with an expensive paperweight.

if you’re careful, you can capture the fuel with rags on top and a towel underneath. Just make sure the plugs wires are completely disconnected and put away during the test.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 06:59:18 PM by DC Concours »

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 04:56:09 PM »
I've owned 12 C10's and have had two with hydrolocked bent rods.  Granted I am the guy picking up the non-running ZG1000's when I can find them, so the odds of me getting one is higher than normal.

Since I was buying them for parts bikes and at the right price, I didn't care.  (1 was free!)

The first was so severe the engine would not rotate the full 360 degrees.  The first 2 pics are of that rod.

The 2nd had a knock where the rod was hitting the balancer shaft on each rotation.  It is shown in the last 2 pics.

The fuel in the engine can be dealt with, but most importantly you want to do a piston height measurement on the 2 pairs (1-4 and 2-3) of pistons.

You don't even need to turn it over but its nice to have either pair closer to the top when measuring.

Easy to do with a wooden dowel and a tight piece of tubing to set the depth on each, then measure with a ruler to compare.

The pairs should measure identical.  If not, there is a bent rod in there that is often not discernable when hearing the engine run.

Then it all depends on the price and your ultimate intentions for the bike.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 06:56:38 PM »
I was thinking that it could be possible to have a slight bend as I had seen it happen on a friend's triple. I read about the measuring 1-4, 2-3 just a bit ago. I have been trying to get it for a month or so now and all of a sudden I can get it this weekend. I may just pass at this point. I have not heard back about me saying a quick test would be in order. I am after a bike I can commute on just not interested in another C14. I'm slowing things down a bit nowadays. Tired of commuting on my 89 &97 AT though as they buzz almost as much as a KLR. I will wait for one that is running and able to test ride. I appreciate the help in this matter. I will keep an eye out for another . No matter how nice they look I need the engine in running shape. Thanks

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 07:00:03 PM »
if he doesn’t wish to allow a test, you can offer him a very lowball offer.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 08:09:38 PM »
I really do not want to deal with a bike at this point that I am not able to test or is not running. Would there be a certain size of dowel to use that would work best for this? I have all kinds of tubing sizes available for this. At least i have seen a few of these available lately. This ain't the only one out there

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
Would there be a certain size of dowel to use that would work best for this? I have all kinds of tubing sizes available for this.

Anything that fits through the spark plug hole will work but IMO one closer to the size of the hole is better than a skinny one to help minimize any angle during measurement.

If you are no longer interested, I am curious to know where the bike is located? 
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 08:19:40 PM »
Well, I ended up turning it down. The owner wanted nothing whatsoever done/checked on the bike at their house and stated they had others waiting in the wings tp buy it. Always another one out there for me when it pops up. I am in no rush as I have a couple of bikes to ride for now. It was in the LA area but the posting had expired a while ago along with a couple of others they were trying to get rid of. I definitely need a bigger bike again. Tired of commuting on a 650 or the backroads on a scooter. Thanks for all the information folks. Helps to know what i may to check on in the future