Author Topic: Removal of Trim Pieces around the Instrument Panel  (Read 2284 times)

Offline MidlifeCrisis

Removal of Trim Pieces around the Instrument Panel
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
Would some kind soul please let me know how the two trim pieces on either side of the instrument panel (speedo, tach) are removed?  I took out the obvious screws, but something else seems to be still grabbing a hold of the pieces.  I don't want to break anything.

I'm trying to get access to the headlamps and city lights for a HID & LED conversion.

Thanks.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline Gsun

Re: Removal of Trim Pieces around the Instrument Panel
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
You can take out the entire headlight without having to do that. You can change the bulbs alone and not take anything apart. Are you talking about the inner fairings? The black plastic pieces on either side?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
You took out the three allen head fasteners I assume?  So all that is left should be the pins underneath the windshield (close to the top edge of the windshield brackets).  Raise the windshield all the way up and get a small allen wrench or some other small tool and push in on the center and pop the clip out.  If you take the windshield off it will be easier.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
You can take out the entire headlight without having to do that. You can change the bulbs alone and not take anything apart. Are you talking about the inner fairings? The black plastic pieces on either side?
Yes.  I didn't realize the headlamp assembly can be removed by itself.  I'll have to look at how that works.  Still, I plan to install the ballasts and relays underneath those inner fairings, so if it is not too much trouble (can't imagine it is), I'd rather take them off.

You took out the three allen head fasteners I assume?  So all that is left should be the pins underneath the windshield (close to the top edge of the windshield brackets).  Raise the windshield all the way up and get a small allen wrench or some other small tool and push in on the center and pop the clip out.  If you take the windshield off it will be easier.
Okay, I'll take a look at that clip.  Yes, I removed the 3 allen head screws, and I've already R&R'ed the windscreen just to have a look see.

Thanks.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline Gsun

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
It looks close to this. (only pic I could find). But without the hole in the middle.