Author Topic: 08 Shield Change ?s  (Read 1950 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
08 Shield Change ?s
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
So, the question is, while gaining better coverage from a bigger shield full up, does it mess with what I like about current shield full down?

Angle of attack changes from full up to full down, so I hold out hope for best of both worlds.  Have put some miles on my 08 and realize two things.  Shield down is great.  Love it.  Shield up and I'm thinking wouldn't mind the extra size of the "newer" stock shields.  Newer stock shields seem available and low cost, so all good there.   Not looking for huge or other aftermarket more costly options.  Thanks for any input.

BTW - if shield down changes drastically, I'll likely just pass and keep it how it is.  REALLY like the down setting for what it is. 

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Re: 08 Shield Change ?s
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
Sorry, just realized there is an accessories section.  My bad.   ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
It changes.  The stock 08 is quite small.  Depending on what aftermarket shield you try (unless it's smaller) will change the air coming over and around it.  I'm running the large CB and it's certainly different than the stocker when it's down.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »
I have a stock Gen 2 shield that I use in the cooler/cold months and a stock Gen 1 shield for when it's warm, plus a cut down Gen 1 shield for when it's HOT. There is quite a bit of difference between the stock Gen 1 shield and the Gen 2. A small amount of difference in the height of the shields can make a very noticeable difference in the way the air moves around the bike. I can even feel a difference in the way the air moves around my legs at times. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:44:43 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »
I think that's the way I am going to go.  Small shield down really works in the heat.  The larger stock ones can be found for a great price, and I am confident the extra near 3 inches will make a big difference in cooler weather.

Thanks for the input guys.