Author Topic: A Shorter Windshield?  (Read 14338 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A Shorter Windshield?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 05:29:27 AM »
Looks great too.....

Thanks!

When I cut mine down I used my band saw and it was VERY easy to do using that. A saber saw would work but a dremel, I guess it would work but I don't think that you'd get as nice a cut and you'd spend a lot of time cleaning up the cut. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:17 AM »
I used a 2" cutoff wheel on a die grinder. Took a couple of passes but cut cleanly, finished with sand paper.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »
Summers and winters are no problem.

Summers - Ride north

Winters - Stay in south FL  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
I also prefer a shorter shield in the warmer months. I found someone selling a 08-09 stock shield for $40 and it is perfect.

The tint looks good, I have been thinking about tinting it and looking at the options for that.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Since I'm already in California, got the tracking number that says it will be here tomorrow....and thanks for the tip Conrad, if I need to take a little more off I'll go the Saber Saw route!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
Since I'm already in California, got the tracking number that says it will be here tomorrow....and thanks for the tip Conrad, if I need to take a little more off I'll go the Saber Saw route!

You'll want to pick up a few plastic or fiber washers/spacers. The CalSci shield is a bit thinner than the stocker where it mounts. If you're anal like me, you'll want something there to take up that space. Pull your stock shield off and you'll see the plastic washers that Kawi puts there, you'll want a few more of these. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
You'll want to pick up a few plastic or fiber washers/spacers. The CalSci shield is a bit thinner than the stocker where it mounts. If you're anal like me, you'll want something there to take up that space. Pull your stock shield off and you'll see the plastic washers that Kawi puts there, you'll want a few more of these.

Will do...I'm glad I have company in the anal catagory. ;) I'm so bad, the bike is now at the painter to touch up a couple areas that was on the bike when originally purchased that the buyer didn't want to mess with! Being a black bike, hard to hide anything.....!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that black thing.  ::)

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that black thing.  ::)
......I'm not. 8)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
But you WILL be :)

Lol...I have 4 other bikes, all black.....trust me. ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Lol...I have 4 other bikes, all black.....trust me. ;)

:)   8)

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
Well, got it yesterday and it's just what I was looking for, they even sent along a microfiber cloth, cleaner and a tire guage! Very nice.... ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 04:35:43 AM »
Well, got it yesterday and it's just what I was looking for, they even sent along a microfiber cloth, cleaner and a tire guage! Very nice.... ;D

That cleaner works VERY well!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
That cleaner works VERY well!

Is it Lemon Pledge?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:22:16 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
That cleaner works VERY well!/quote]
Is it Lemon Pledge?

The recipe is on their website.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Here's my cut down stocker

[smg id=349]

Interesting the two concepts for cutting down the Gen 1 shields. Conrad's more square shape and Sgt Mac's more rounded (almost pointy) shape. If I can pick up a used shield I might try to do something in between.

Any buffeting with either shield in the up or down position?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 03:32:57 AM »
Here's my cut down shield.

The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »
Interesting the two concepts for cutting down the Gen 1 shields. Conrad's more square shape and Sgt Mac's more rounded (almost pointy) shape. If I can pick up a used shield I might try to do something in between.

Any buffeting with either shield in the up or down position?

I used my other stock shield as a template for cutting the shield down, so it's identical to the stocker on top. In the down position I get clear air over the top and it feels great! All the way up it's almost the same as the stocker in the full down position. It does have a slight bit of buffeting but I almost never ride with it full up, only in the rain.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
Here's my cut down shield.

Looks to be about the same height as Conrad's at the sides, but peaked in the center where his is more square. I like them both, but leaning towards Pope's.

What did each of you do for tinting?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold