Author Topic: A Shorter Windshield?  (Read 14339 times)

Offline YtseJam

A Shorter Windshield?
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:21 AM »
Just bought a 2011, and I do not like the windscreen at all. The bike is black, so I would like to go with one that has a tint to it and is just a little shorter. After doing some searching, it looks like the Givi is the only one that offers this...true?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A Shorter Windshield?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »
Just bought a 2011, and I do not like the windscreen at all. The bike is black, so I would like to go with one that has a tint to it and is just a little shorter.

If you have "winter" where you live, you will like it at that time.  I find in the summer, the stock 2nd gen blocks too much air and restricts my ability to ride in the mid/upper 90's.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
Just bought a 2011, and I do not like the windscreen at all. The bike is black, so I would like to go with one that has a tint to it and is just a little shorter. After doing some searching, it looks like the Givi is the only one that offers this...true?

Nope, not true. I have the CalSci tinted 'shorty'

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

The shorty is a lil bit larger than the stock '08/'09 shield but it's shorter than your stock '11 shield.

But for when it's really hot out. I cut down and tinted a stock '08/'09 shield ~4" and it works great!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
If you have "winter" where you live, you will like it at that time.  I find in the summer, the stock 2nd gen blocks too much air and restricts my ability to ride in the mid/upper 90's.

Is that mph or degrees?     ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
Had the same thought...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
But for when it's really hot out. I cut down and tinted a stock '08/'09 shield ~4" and it works great!

That's what i did.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
Here's my cut down stocker

[smg id=349]

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
Is that mph or degrees?     ;)

Temperature, of course
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
I bought a dark tinted windshield from CalSci not long ago - I think it's an inch taller than the 08/09 shield.  Didn't like it so last week I cut it down four inches.  Love it now.  I get a fairly clean shot of air at my upper chest and head and it looks good. 

Here is the only picture I have handy.  From the riding position you probably only see about two inches of the windshield...

Click on the picture for a bigger image.

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
I bought a dark tinted windshield from CalSci not long ago - I think it's an inch taller than the 08/09 shield.  Didn't like it so last week I cut it down four inches.  Love it now.  I get a fairly clean shot of air at my upper chest and head and it looks good. 

Here is the only picture I have handy.  From the riding position you probably only see about two inches of the windshield...

Click on the picture for a bigger image.

That's what I'm looking for....did you use a Dremmel to trim it? Can you just get it tinted like a normal piee of glass?

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Here's my cut down stocker

[smg id=349]

Looks great too.....

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »

Our winter is nothing like what many of you guys deal with..... ;)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »

I don't find riding in those temps to be fun or comfortable, if it is higher than the 80's I am taking the car.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline KawiG

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
I purchased the Cee Bailey mini euro cut dark tint and in south florida it works out fine. With it fully extended it works fine for me" when I am in a less wind mood" but I think a taller screen would work out better if you carry a passenger at freeway speeds a bit. Cee had a deal if you buy you got a discount on the second. I just kept the stock screen for those days. The quality of their screen seems vey high.
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »

I don't find riding in those temps to be fun or comfortable, if it is higher than the 80's I am taking the car.

If I waited for the temperature here to get into the 80's, I would have been parked here since the end of June. The ride from picking the bike up last Sunday was miserable....100+ almost all the way, 4 1/2 hours of it.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
Just looked at the CalSci website, I really like the tinted shorty....that might be the way to go! Thanks all!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
The folks at calsci are great. Check the length before you order. They might cut it shorter for you.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
That's what I'm looking for....did you use a Dremmel to trim it? Can you just get it tinted like a normal piee of glass?

I bought it as a tinted windshield from CalSci.  I used a saber saw with a very fine blade.  Then a belt sander to clean it up (almost impossible to cut evenly with the saw).  After I had it evened up with the belt sander, I then used 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then 400 grit to polish the edge.  Used masking tape to draw the line btw.  From start to finish, including taking it off the bike and putting it back on I probably have an hour of work in it.  The most time consuming is the final sanding.  Not hard if you have the tools.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »
Just went out and took some more pics.  I like it more and more all the time.

Jim
Current bikes....

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
Just went out and took some more pics.  I like it more and more all the time.

That looks really good...thanks for the pics!