Author Topic: Rear Brake Leaking  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Rear Brake Leaking
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »
Okay, I HATE cold weather.  I hate it.  Grr.  If it isn't one thing, it's another.

Bike has been parked in the garage since Tuesday.  I got out and rode yesterday, and found a couple drops of brake fluid on the rim.  It appears to have leaked out of the rear caliper someplace.  Probably through one of the piston seals.  The pads don't appear to be worn (at least not the outboard one, which I can see) and there's no real wear on the rotor.  I don't use the rear brake except to hold the bike on a hill, or whatever use the linked braking system puts on it.

I wiped it up, cleaned up the caliper, pumped the rear brake a few times and noticed no other leakage.  Brake reservoir was full.  Went for a 50 mile ride and all appeared good.  Parked the bike for a couple hours and didn't notice any more leakage.  Didn't check it this morning.

What's going on there?  Maybe the piston seals are shrinking from the cold weather?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear Brake Leaking
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
Make sure both bleeders are tight and not leaking as well as the banjo bolt connecting the brake hose to the caliper.  If those aren't the culprit then I would rebuild it with new seals.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Rear Brake Leaking
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
I should have checked those.  It should still be under warranty so I'll let the dealer take care of the problem if leaking hoses aren't the case.