Author Topic: Final Drive Paranoia  (Read 14075 times)

Offline AaronJM

Final Drive Paranoia
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »
I've become a bit paranoid about changing the final drive fluid. With well documented issues with the drain plug hole stripping out I wonder if there isn't another way. Would it be possible to draw out the fluid through the fill hole using a hand-held pump like a mighty-vac? Am I crazy to even be concerned about it? Also is it true that wearing tin-foil on your head keeps the FBI from reading your thoughts and planting subliminal messages? :)
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Son of Pappy

Re: Final Drive Paranoia
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
Color me Irish, but, what well documented issues?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »
You just snug it tight with a wrench "not socket".........that easy.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »
Yes, there is another way- do what the "through hole" BMW owners did when they had to change the final drive lube- disconnect the drive and turn it upside down. The lube will run right out of the filler hole.

Another possibility might be to use a mandrel and bend a piece of tubing to an inner diameter (of the bend radius, not the tubing radius) very slightly larger than the centerline diameter of the ring gear; insert the tip of the tube into the filler hole and drive it about the inside of the drive housing so the the tip rests on the bottom and then suck all the lube out (easy boys!).

Yet another method might be to remove the drain plug but instead of replacing it and thereby running the risk that it might strip the threads, use an aftermarket rubber plug made for stripped oil pan drain holes. They work OK but they are cheap enough so you can use a new one each time.

A good method also might be to start off as above but instead of re-using the drain plug, just pack the drain hole with cotton loose weave with a hammer and punch. This is the way old shipwrights drove cotton in-between the planks of ships so they did not leak..... so fast.

Finally, you could get a large diameter hose clamp and a piece of flat neoprene about 3/4" square. Throw away the drain bolt, place the neoprene on the flat on the bottom of the drive that contains the bolt hole for the drain, wrap the whole thing with the hose clamp and tighten. It will work, be reusable infinitely, and have that cool, hayseed look about it like the old Massey- Ferguson out behind the barn.

Cork, carefully tapped into place in the drain hole, should also work extremely well and then you could smell said cork to determine the drive lube's vintage and overall quality.

Finally, are you sure you even need lube in the final drive?

A large midwestern company's Human Resources director was filling out a gov't questionaire. One of the questions was "How many employees does your company have, broken down by sex. He responded: Alcohol is more of a problem for us.  Maybe you don't really need to strip the drain bolt in the first place?  But always remember, paranoia is just good thinkin' when everyone is looking at you....

Brian

I've become a bit paranoid about changing the final drive fluid. With well documented issues with the drain plug hole stripping out I wonder if there isn't another way. Would it be possible to draw out the fluid through the fill hole using a hand-held pump like a mighty-vac? Am I crazy to even be concerned about it? Also is it true that wearing tin-foil on your head keeps the FBI from reading your thoughts and planting subliminal messages? :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »
I've kept my KiPass battery charged up and have had no issues with the changes or stripping out anything  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
What I want to know is what does a drain plug have in common with KIPASS?

Darn, Steve, your'e quick ;D

Offline texrider

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
You could just go ahead and drill it out to install a heli-coil thread insert, and get it over with.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
I safety wired mine.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:20 AM »
I have removed the fluid from my drive in case it leaks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »
While that sounds sound, an even better method would be to remove it entirely, replace it with a chain drive, update the plastics and paint, update the engine and controls, replace the single muffler with a dual exhaust system, and call it a ZX-14.    This, of course, should be done every other oil change at 9k miles.  One should also run 87 octane and put a car tire on the rear.  The front tire fitment should backwards.  ::)

Assuming this above method is somewhat cumbersome yet strangely appealing, I would change it every oil change.  It doesn't take much.  Don't overfill it.  I keep it about a 1/4 inch below the neck.  This seems to work for me.  Do not over tighten the filler hole or the drain plug.  You will sincerely regret it.  You don't have to replace the drain gasket but if you do, Kwak will love you and the money you give them.  I've never had a leak in mine and it's never been replaced.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:08 AM »
Color me Irish, but, what well documented issues?

Probably heard it here....

California Raisins Commercial (1986)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:43 AM »
The above is all great advice, pick one and go for it.

I'll address your other question. The tin foil hat. They have new technology for tracking your thoughts now. The tin foil still works but you need to wrap your entire head, think full face helmet. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:43 AM »
Plastic bag first then the tin foil.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:22:35 AM »
Most oil drain plugs get stripped by well meaning owners who just bought a torque wrench.  Unless otherwise stated,  torque figures assume the fastener will be dry. Thats tough to do when a persons dealing with an oil drain bolt.   If your lucky, only threads get ripped out.

On many of the dirt bikes, if not most, the threads are very strong. Strong enough to allow a chunk of the case to get ripped out. Things could be worse.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
Final drive drain bolt:   8.8N-m,   0.90kgf-m,    78in-lb

It doesn't need to be real tight, a small handle wrench will do. It you have tightites  ::) get a wrench and cut off 3/4 of it, than you won't be able to over tighten it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »
I use a six point socket with a quarter inch drive ratchet and it works great.  Not to tight, not to loose......................that's what she said. 

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »
Some like me may worry about the somewhat fine line between tight enough and stripped. With anything 14mm and up I am comfortable but nott with such as small bolt for such a small bolt. That is why I safety wire, for peace of mind. Kawi was thoughtful enough to include a tab for this which makes it very easy to do. HF has safety wire pliers for $10.00

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
Paranoia will destroy ya!!!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38:41 AM »
Lather, I hate to pick on ya buddy as safety wire is a great idea. The problem is the safety wire job is lousy. You didn't bend your pig tail either but the wire would have broken if you did.

I would order another bolt just in case I snafu'd the original when I drilled a hole all the way through the bolt head. The hole would be big enough for .030 safety wire. .020 safety wire might work but it always looks small to me. Peace Bro.....

When I change the diff oil, I use a new washer and just snug the bolt so it's tight but not so tight I endanger the diff housing by pulling threads.   
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
No problem Tim, I can handle constructive criticism. I don't claim it was a great job but seems ok to me , certainly getting the job done. Please elaborate why you think it's a lousy job.
True, the wire I had on hand was sub standard, I have since bought real .032 SS safety wire.
Glad someone else here believes in safety wire anyway.

Lather, I hate to pick on ya buddy as safety wire is a great idea. The problem is the safety wire job is lousy. You didn't bend your pig tail either but the wire would have broken if you did.

I would order another bolt just in case I snafu'd the original when I drilled a hole all the way through the bolt head. The hole would be big enough for .030 safety wire. .020 safety wire might work but it always looks small to me. Peace Bro.....

When I change the diff oil, I use a new washer and just snug the bolt so it's tight but not so tight I endanger the diff housing by pulling threads.