Author Topic: UPDATED Sun Burned my LCD Display  (Read 16449 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
UPDATED Sun Burned my LCD Display
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
My wife and I are on our BRP vacation and decided to stop at a rest area for a little break, maybe 20 minutes.  Upon returning to the road I noticed that my Display area was burned by  the sun between the Speedo and the Tach in the black plastic area.  The display had a large black spot that covered the clock area but after about 30 minuted it returned to normal.  The area just below the clock where the clear display meets the platic is now deformed like a lighter was held to it.  I will post pictures when I return home.  I thought I remember reading about this but forgot and did not cover the area.  It is kind of ridiculous that the bike cannot be left in direct sunlight.  Has anyone had theirs replaced under warranty?  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:58:26 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Sun Burned my LCD Display
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Khrome

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Is there a difference in the different year models or do we all have the same one?
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Search is an easy function (although not terribly good on this board software)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3473

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2595

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2540

Thanks, evidently your skills or search words were more effective than mine.  Believe me this forum is tame when giving search related answers in comparison to some others so I definitely tried first with advanced google.  I also tried the COG forum but had less than stellar results. 

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Most of my reading has seemed to focus on the display that has gone back to normal.  The part that bothers me is that the black plastic above the selector buttons where it meets the display looks like a heat gun was left on it and deformed.  I will take it to the dealer when I get back, the front TPM battery is flashing now since its cooler so they should be able to fix that too. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
Is there a difference in the different year models or do we all have the same one?

The display should be identical (or nearly identical) on all C-14's.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:09 PM »
Most of my reading has seemed to focus on the display that has gone back to normal.  The part that bothers me is that the black plastic above the selector buttons where it meets the display looks like a heat gun was left on it and deformed.  I will take it to the dealer when I get back, the front TPM battery is flashing now since its cooler so they should be able to fix that too.

Thank goodness we have a real warranty on the Concours, unlike so many bikes.  Your situation does sound rather odd.  I have read many thousands of messages on the forums and have never heard of the plastic actually melting.  Perhaps there was an electrical short of something odd going on with yours.  There is no way normal direct sun could be hot enough to melt plastic.... unless it was lensed...

Offline Freddy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »
It's been an issue since they first came out, thought to be caused by the edge of the screen magnifying the sun's rays. Some have had the red needles distorted/melted.  Always cover the dash if leaving in the sun, or fit a tinted screen.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
My wife and I are on our BRP vacation and decided to stop at a rest area for a little break, maybe 20 minutes.  Upon returning to the road I noticed that my Display area was burned by  the sun between the Speedo and the Tach in the black plastic area.  The display had a large black spot that covered the clock area but after about 30 minuted it returned to normal.  The area just below the clock where the clear display meets the platic is now deformed like a lighter was held to it.  I will post pictures when I return home.  I thought I remember reading about this but forgot and did not cover the area.  It is kind of ridiculous that the bike cannot be left in direct sunlight.  Has anyone had theirs replaced under warranty?  Thanks.

How hot was it outside?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
There is no way normal direct sun could be hot enough to melt plastic.... unless it was lensed...
It's been an issue since they first came out, thought to be caused by the edge of the screen magnifying the sun's rays. Some have had the red needles distorted/melted.  Always cover the dash if leaving in the sun, or fit a tinted screen.

Lensing!  Bingo!  Wow- I was just hypothesizing about it, I didn't know it has really happened before!  I wonder, would something like THAT be covered under warranty?

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »
I had my dash replaced when the needles melted. I have another theory on why the distorting/melting might happen.  I always cover my bike with a bike cover as I live in Tucson and the sun is brutal.  My needles melted when covered.  The dash is not far from the toaster oven glove box and is made from the same or similar plastic.  We all know that gets hot enough to melt ipods and such.  After a ride, could it not be a combination of prolonged heat from the sun with heat from the engine and or radiator and headers that warp the plastic?

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
KiPass has warded off all evil rays and heat heat waves on my C14.

But being in FL, or when riding in Phoenix/South Cali, I always cover my gauges up with a hand towel.  Not to protect them because KiPass does that, but i like mine looking brand new and on my old ZX14 the sun sorta had faded the ornage and it was a pet peev
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »
I had had the display go dark on my 09 but came back to normal after about 15 minutes, Now when I stop I put my gloves over that area. As far as the sun melting the dash it can happen.  On Gold Wings with a certain after market windshield, if you park in the direct sunlight the sun would come through the windshield and reflect on the dash and melt it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »
Sorry, but if I have to remember to carry a towel to cover my gauges then I'll go buy another bike if Kawasaki doesn't cover it under warranty.  They certainly can't expect us to only ride at night or on rainy days!!! :o
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
Before the server crash, there were plenty of these threads. Kawi blames them on aftermarket shields. If you take it in for warranty work, make sure you put a stock shield back on first or it may not be covered. It happened to mine, I just left them without having them replaced.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Sorry, but if I have to remember to carry a towel to cover my gauges then I'll go buy another bike if Kawasaki doesn't cover it under warranty.  They certainly can't expect us to only ride at night or on rainy days!!! :o

I use the towel only to prevent long term fading of the needles in the sun, such as they all do over time bikes/boats/my old Zx14/etc

The goldwinger guys hang their jackets on the windscreen, i haven't got that far yet  ;D

And lookie, early 2010 model and gauges look BRAND NEW

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:42 AM »

Offline Whatever

• Let's make the world MORE politically correct!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »
I think I remember reading about a warranty claim and they referred to it as Sun Branding.  So you might look that up and see if it's a term Kawasaki would recognize and replace the damaged part under warranty.
I hope this signature is white bread enough.  If not, I will add more vanilla.

http://talkingbikes.org

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
I think I remember reading about a warranty claim and they referred to it as Sun Branding.  So you might look that up and see if it's a term Kawasaki would recognize and replace the damaged part under warranty.

If you go that route you may want to pop a stock windshield back on....just sayn'

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
Hmmmm  :nuts:
If you go that route you may want to pop a stock windshield back on....just sayn'

Before the server crash, there were plenty of these threads. Kawi blames them on aftermarket shields. If you take it in for warranty work, make sure you put a stock shield back on first or it may not be covered. It happened to mine, I just left them without having them replaced.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"