Author Topic: High speed buzz, wind noise  (Read 1993 times)

Offline jwolffie

High speed buzz, wind noise
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
I have developed a loud buzzing noise that starts at about 70MPH of air speed. It is caused by wind vibrating something on the front of the bike because it goes away if I get behind another vehicle. I can make the noise stop by folding in the right side mirror. Any ideas?
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: High speed buzz, wind noise
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
First thing I would do is check all the fasteners in the front of the bike.  Make sure that you check the fairing brace that attaches to the center steering tube.  Have you put any accessories on the bike (on the front) lately?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Nothing has changed lately, when I installed HID projectors I removed everything on the front of the bike and re-installed it and no change on the noise. The noise  totally goes away if I fold in the right mirror, no change if I fold in the left mirror. All fasteners have been rechecked.
Black 2011

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:19 AM »
never heard of that one before, so just trying to helpfully guess what you could experiment with in order to narrow it down:
- this noise is the same regarding of gear? 70 mph could be done in basically any gear, so you could try 4th, 5th, or 6th and see if it is related to some frequency from the engine/drive train.
- what about pressing the tip of the mirror downward with your finger? or forward?
- cold engine? warm engine?
- windshield position? does it have anything to do or changes anything from full up to full down?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
I had that exact thing on my 2011. It developed at around 7-10K miles. I figured it was something inside the right mirror housing that was loose. I was to lazy to take it apart to investigate. My 2012 has 25K on it and I don't get that sound at all. Of course the right side has a new mirror from when the PO dropped it, so maybe that's your fix....drop it on it's right side  :yikes:
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Check the colored part of the mirror and make sure that it's tight.  That piece actually can be pried off.  You do want to make sure that the mirror is securely fastened.  There's three bolts that hold it on to the bike (08-09), not sure about gen2.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »
I found the noise with blue painters tape. It is the very front part of the mirror base where it sits against the fairing. There is a small gap and nothing to hold it down so it flutters in the wind. I will put some foam tape behind it or something.
Black 2011