Author Topic: tire changer  (Read 4721 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
tire changer
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
I am considering a tire changer purchase, this one
www.ebay.com/itm/2-IN-1-Automotive-Tires-Changer-Unit-Mount-Demount-w-Motorcycle-Attachment-ATV-/231109071756?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item35cf2c938c&vxp=mtr
My question is about the center hole diameter. I ride a C-10 and know my axles are no where near 1 5/8", has anyone used this changer or one like it, and will it work for my wheels? Do I need to remove the bearings every time I change a tire? TIA
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: tire changer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:40 PM »
That looks like the Harbor Freight portable tire change with the motorcycle attachment that sells for about $85.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
That's what I seem to be discovering, any experience with it (them)? I have a HF nearby, so hopefully I can just pick it up locally if I decide to. Watching YouTube videos now, it seems pretty reasonable. I would get the ballancer as well.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:47:16 AM »
I have one. It works nicely. Replacing the mount/dismount bar seems to be the popular upgrade.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »
I am also finding a few folks that do not use the upper portion of the MC adapter. What is the mount/dismount bar typically replaced with? That seems like about the simplest part, a long steel lever!
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Most users end up buying a Mojolever, for use on bike rims, its slick and works well.
Only bummer is the lever costs more than the H/F tire machine...
 Also a set of 12" spoons,
You have to make a new center rod to go thru the rim, a big piece of allthread with a piece of pvc pipe slipped over it works well.
The H.F. combo works well, and is exactly the same as the one you linked, just less money.
Do a search here for mojolever, there's a couple threads on it.
Also adding the Mojoblocks to the H/F machine prevents the clamps from ruining the rim

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

oh, I also purchased the H/F tire balancer, and once adjusted it works fine. You will find though it needs a slight mod, grinding the ends of the rod to a spherical shape  ( ) prevents the rod from rubbing on the side plates during the tire rotation.

you are in luck right now, all of those are on sale...
M/C machine is $39.99
The main base is $44.99
Balancer is $39.99
Wheel weights aren't on sale... $7.99 for 1/4 oz, and 4.99 for the 1/2 oz ones.... I prefer the 1/2 oz ones, and snip them to size.
I also use additional double sided foam adhesive tape to make sure they sit and stay well...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:48:19 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I have the HF tire changer / motorcycle adapter and wheel balancer. But unlike most, I just use it with tire irons and lever the tires on / off the wheels; I find it to be as fast or faster and actually easier than using a long lever and winding it around the wheel. Three Motion Pro long tire irons (the ones curved on one end) and some plastic from an anti- freeze container as 'protectors' and it is slicker than owl .... well, you know.

Brian

I am also finding a few folks that do not use the upper portion of the MC adapter. What is the mount/dismount bar typically replaced with? That seems like about the simplest part, a long steel lever!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
I have a friend does all my tires...in minutes with one of these:  http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_changer_No_Mar_p/tc-classic.htm
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
how much does he charge you?

it's really no better than a "modified" H/F, takes a lot more dedicated floor space, and the mounting bar/tool is for $#!+, that's why the give extra tips....
the Mojo Lever rocks compared to the one that comes with that machine, and yes, I have mounted tires using one.... it ain't worth that much money... + shipping....

but then, if you are gonna buy a machine, hey what can I say.... you are going to your pal to get your tires changed.... 8)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
Those rim 'blocks' on the unit shown as well as on the H/F really can't grip the rim at all.

I cobbled up some adaptors with rim spools from No Mar to resolve that.

BTW, I walked out of H/F with the tire changer AND M/C adaptor for about $65 when they had it on sale and using coupons.

It looks identical to the one in the OP's link.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
20 bucks per tire down the street...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
The local shop here is $25 per, including regrease of bearings and keeping old tire, off the bike. He is $95 for a c-14, on the bike, for both, not each.

Bonus, he beats internet prices on tires.

Plus, the techs there actually know how to work on bikes, not a safe assumption anymore.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
One in a million.  Good for you that you found a dealer worth keeping.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
The NoMar folks are a few miles down the road. I can take my wheels to them.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
I have the HF changer too and the mojo lever, plus, mojo sells a delrin clamp kit that bolts to the HF jaws, much better at holding the rim and no scratches at all. Takes all of 5 minutes to mount them, you don't need a drill press but boy it sure helps.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
I have the HF changer too and the mojo lever, plus, mojo sells a delrin clamp kit that bolts to the HF jaws, much better at holding the rim and no scratches at all. Takes all of 5 minutes to mount them, you don't need a drill press but boy it sure helps.
Boss, I've got to see the video of mounting tires with a drill press.

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »

You forgot to tell them about the official COG tire changing helmet.  Remember, ATGATT isn't just for riding.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:30 PM »
No-Mar ftw  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
The Stahlhelm is needed for tire changing in Ohio. I find it quite useful. ;D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036HJGMW/ref=asc_df_B0036HJGMW3023923?smid=A3I3BE71TORY04&tag=pgmp-45-97-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B0036HJGMW

HEHEHEH
DON'T FORGET THE MOUTHGUARD....

PROTECT THOSE TEETH!!!!

I have a vintage Jofa, but no helmet it will fit now...