Author Topic: 16k+ Miles and Transmission Damage?!  (Read 22066 times)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
16k+ Miles and Transmission Damage?!
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
I've got an '09 Red C14 which I've had for almost all it's current miles and noticed an issue which though sporadic and unpredictable, has seemed to finally do some damage inside my tranny.  :o

Initially, when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear in low to mid RPMs every once in a while the machine would shift into neutral or out of gear completely for just long enough to catch me off guard and still on the throttle then it would CLUNK really hard into gear causing the bike to jerk.

It's been doing this sporadically for a couple months (maybe 5-8 times total in that timeframe). Most times I would feel it pop out of gear I'd chop the throttle and try to shift it into any gear I could seat it in then resume "normal" operation but yesterday it finally caught me by suprise and now I've got a grinding sound only in the 4th gear.  :banghead:

I'm sure the gear teeth must be toast. I'm still under warranty but if this thing isn't covered I'm looking at LOTS of $$ to get this fixed so I'd like to get some input on what possibly caused this problem from any expertise here.

Thoughts?
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 16k+ Miles and Transmission Damage?!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.  Take it in and see what's what.  No need to get upset until they say no. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
That sounds to me too as something that should be covered under warranty.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.  Take it in and see what's what.  No need to get upset until they say no.

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
The worst part is that it will prob be down for at least a month if they take as long as my last Connie in the shop.  >:(

Is it likely that I'll do any more harm to it by still riding it albeit skipping 4th?
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
Sure, what the heck, it ain't my bike!  Keep riding it until ye canna ride it no more.  Really, though, if it was my bike it would be straight to the dealer for that unless you are a MC transmission guy with lots of time on his hands to tear it down and figure it out.  There is a reason you have a warranty you know.

What happened to the last Connie?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
Sure, what the heck, it ain't my bike!  Keep riding it until ye canna ride it no more.  Really, though, if it was my bike it would be straight to the dealer for that unless you are a MC transmission guy with lots of time on his hands to tear it down and figure it out.  There is a reason you have a warranty you know.
Lol of course! It's going to the shop soon. It's just that the only dealer who does warranty work is about 30 min north of me so I'm hoping that it won't be further damaged if I drive it there or if it's essential to rent a truck and haul it there.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »
What happened to the last Connie?
Someone hit me from behind while I was stopped at a red light...didn't even see them coming. Thankfully (I guess) they only clipped my right side and threw me over. The bike tumbled on one side then landed on the other but suprisingly it wasn't totalled.  :nuts:

Unfortunately I had sold my other vehicles (deployment) so I was limping back and forth on my ancient '76 KZ400 for about a month until the shop finished it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »
You really don't have to use all the gears so I would just skip fourth, if that's where the trouble is occurring.  It's not like you signed a contract with Kawi to use all the gears all the time.  Just go to a higher rpm range in third and then shift to 5th.  I have been known to skip a gear or two depending on the circumstances.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
Have any of you seen this problem in the past with the new line of Connies?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
Not that I can recall as such.  I do remember some comments on the old forum about some funkiness with shifting at times but nothing like you describe.  Hopefully someone will chime in if they have had that issue.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Lol of course! It's going to the shop soon. It's just that the only dealer who does warranty work is about 30 min north of me so I'm hoping that it won't be further damaged if I drive it there or if it's essential to rent a truck and haul it there.

I am in the same boat as you are. Closest dealer is about 40 miles east of me. I would rent/borrow a truck to haul it there.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
I am in the same boat as you are. Closest dealer is about 40 miles east of me. I would rent/borrow a truck to haul it there.
Would they have any way to void my warranty if I drove it there? Just wondering if there is some minute clause in the warranty contract which states this.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
If you are truly worried about that then get it towed in.....

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
Look in to your insurance coverages. If you break down do you get free towing to the closest dealer? I would push it up the road and make a call. Maybe Kawasaki will tow for you or even the dealer.
Good luck!
Joel from Maine.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
Just ride it to the dealer and tell them it started happening on your way, Defenitly dont tell them the same story you told us about it having intermittent problems for months because I would think that because you kept driving it you caused more damage which would give them a reason to deny coverage.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
No one can really tell you what the transmission is likely to do in the next <whatever> miles; as Jim said, if you are concerned about it failing completely either have the dealer pick it up (if they offer that service) or have it towed to them.

It is hard to tell from your first post but are you shifting without using the clutch? If the faces of the teeth on the dogs get nipped / chipped / bent, it makes it harder and harder to engage that gear as the teeth become more damaged. And by not cleanly engaging it tends to damage the tips of the gears. Another problem with motorcycle transmissions is that if they are not fully in gear, they may pop back out when throttle is applied and that is also hard on the dog teeth. Finally, popping out of gear under high engine output as well as shifting too hard tends to bend the shifting forks; as that progresses, the a particular gear will not engage all the way and increase the likelihood that it will pop out (disengage) under power.

If the transmission is making noticeable noise, it is surely damaged internally, especially so if the noise and shifting problems increase. The only thing to do is to tear the transmission down, inspect and replace parts as necessary. As everyone else has said, it absolutely should be a warranty issue if the bike is still under warranty unless the dealer finds something incredibly obvious like racing use, towing a 25 foot trailer, etc. But on any kind of normal use the dealer should just repair it. You are probably right about this taking weeks too- it is a big job and very labor intensive and some of the parts may not even be in stock in this country.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 05:04:01 AM »
As Brian said, it 'should' be covered by your warranty. How about calling the dealer and telling them your story and see what they want you to do?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 05:39:45 AM »
The worst part is that it will prob be down for at least a month if they take as long as my last Connie in the shop.  >:(

Look on the bright side, at least it did not happen in the spring, just when the really great riding weather was kicking in.

Is it likely that I'll do any more harm to it by still riding it albeit skipping 4th?

I wouldn't ride it any more than it takes to get it to the dealer.  Even skipping over 4th gear, you don't know what the pieces of the gear might be doing to other items inside the engine/transmission.  Since they share the same oil, you could make things alot worse.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »
snip
It is hard to tell from your first post but are you shifting without using the clutch?

Brian, et al... maybe a noob questions... I read this somewhere before but never found the answer.  How is this possible?  And why would one shift without disengaging the clutch?
Will