Author Topic: 2016 announced  (Read 24168 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2016 announced
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »
Well at the rate they (Kwackers) are going about this it will be throttle by ESP.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 06:40:52 AM »
And there won't be, not until they redesign the bike significantly.  At that point, it will probably gain cruise (and my bet is that it will be throttle-by-wire).

I really like the throttle and CC on the FJR's. I have a Rostra on my C14 but the FJR is smoother and more constant. If and when Kawi does this to the C14, that's when I may upgrade my 2010. Otherwise I'll just ride mine until the wheels fall off.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
I really like the throttle and CC on the FJR's. I have a Rostra on my C14 but the FJR is smoother and more constant. If and when Kawi does this to the C14, that's when I may upgrade my 2010. Otherwise I'll just ride mine until the wheels fall off.

Almost everyone thinks a touring bike of any kind should have a cruise as standard equipment.

I didn't want to have to WAIT for Kawasaki to wake up and add a cruise as I can't hold my breathe that long.
There is no guarantee that even the 2017 model will include a cruise.

Therefore I installed a McCruise and have never looked back. 

So now even if they do come out with cruise on a 2017 it would also have to have a number of other things to make me change bikes.

A few of my "would be nice to have" list would be.

Built in Nav or at least the option - But (as of now) options don't exist except for color choice.
Adjustable handle bars and grips.
A backrest for rider and passenger.
Better stock tires.
The ability to open the saddlebags without a key if the FOB is within range even if the bike is off, same for storage box.
USB ports in place of a useless cover over a blank spot.

I could go on but I'm not sure if anyone (with the power to make decisions) even reads these forums or posts that suggest upgrades,
because if they did, would it really take 7-9 years to add a cruise that most people would enjoy?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

The main problem with an electronic throttle is that if they program it to be just as "snatchy" as the C14 already is, stock, there is no easy way to fix that.  That is, if there are no cables (which I think is likely with a throttle-by-wire on bikes).  With a cable system in place, you can simply change the lobe profile and bam- problem solved.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
Went to the International Motorcycle show today in Sacramento and they had two 2016 C14's there. One was stock and the other had a Kawasaki tank bag, had a GPS mounted just like many people already do (can't remember the name of the mount, but it spans across the handlebar mounts, had the Euro style clear plastic wind deflectors on the sides, a different seat and a Kawi trunk.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

elp_jc

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 08:56:30 PM »
I've never ridden a throttle-by-wire (TBW) bike I like; nothing like a linear, mechanical throttle ;D. To me, that makes the Connie a winner. I'm used to precise throttle control due to TBW, track schools, and BMWs in general. So the Connie is just about perfect out of the box for me. Zero complaints. Just took out the excessive throttle cable play, installed grip puppies, and it's perfect for me. I've had cruise on many bikes, and just like on this one, hardly ever use it. Yes, it's quicker and more convenient the few times I need to free my right hand to shake it, adjust something in my helmet, etc. But I'm not in any hurry, and just need it for a moment, so the few extra seconds it takes me to engage the throttle-meister over a factory cruise is nothing. I'll NEVER use cruise control on a bike like on a car, period. So for me to have cruise as standard equipment is money down the drain. I honestly don't know why it's a big deal to sport-touring riders, to be honest. It has never been to me, or to any other rider I know. And I'm not a young punk anymore. He he.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »
I've had cruise on many bikes, and just like on this one, hardly ever use it.

A throttle lock does not compare to an electronic cruise control.

I don't have to shake my hand out like you do because I use my cruise.

But your entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us and if you don't want a real cruise control that's fine by me.   :loco:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
If I had a real cruise control on my Concours, I would use it all the time just like I do for my cars. I really do wish they had it on the new Concours.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
I hardly ever use the cruise control on my car, but when I had it on my 1200RT, I used it all the time. The ability to give your right wrist a rest is huge.

Offline Beary

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
The snatchyness of TBW is caused by the manufacturers trying to get the best MPG they can for EPA and marketing. I've experienced the same snatchyness on my Harleys and just about all new cars today have the same issue. But, since a TBW is basically just a computer program, the snatchyness and most any other annoying trait of the system is fix by only a simple download.

The cruise control reminds me of heated gear. Most riders who never used heated gear don't feel they need it. But once they try it, you couldn't pry it away from them. I know a few C14 riders don't like to use a cruise control, especially since they don't have one. But I dare anyone to ride a 2014 or newer FJR through Oklahoma and Kansas without using the CC.

Beary
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:22:32 PM by Beary »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
But I dare anyone to ride a 2014 or newer FJR through Oklahoma and Kansas without using the CC.

An thus the Central Plains Iron Wrist Riders Association was born. World's toughest carpal tunnels! We've never seen a straight road we didn't like!

Inaugural certifiable route. Expect future routes to have fewer of those pesky wrist resting turns an curves as our flat earth society cartographers gain experience.

Future routes teaser.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
But I dare anyone to ride a 2014 or newer FJR through Oklahoma and Kansas without using the CC.

Beary

So basically you're saying the 2014 FJR or newer is so slow that they have to have CC because it would take a lot longer to cross those states and they'd get bored and fall off their bikes?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
So basically you're saying the 2014 FJR or newer is so slow that they have to have CC because it would take a lot longer to cross those states and they'd get bored and fall off their bikes?

LOL- I like your interpretation
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
I don't have to shake my hand out like you do because I use my cruise.
I wouldn't have to shake my hand (rarely have to do that though) by using throttle lock either. And the only :loco: here is you and others who want to use cruise like if you were driving. For your own protection, you should ALWAYS have your hands on the handlebars and have the brake covered in case you need to brake immediately due to an animal, or whatever other peril out there. And I do that, because I take riding and my health seriously. I only engage it if my hand happens to tingle or something, but it's just seconds, if at all (so no cruise needed). Now, if you want to use cruise, by all means it's your life (just don't endanger others'). But just don't give me your :loco: crap when you're the one being unsafe ;). Rant off. Have a great weekend ahead folks.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »
I wouldn't have to shake my hand (rarely have to do that though) by using throttle lock either. And the only :loco: here is you and others who want to use cruise like if you were driving. For your own protection, you should ALWAYS have your hands on the handlebars and have the brake covered in case you need to brake immediately due to an animal, or whatever other peril out there. And I do that, because I take riding and my health seriously. I only engage it if my hand happens to tingle or something, but it's just seconds, if at all (so no cruise needed). Now, if you want to use cruise, by all means it's your life (just don't endanger others'). But just don't give me your :loco: crap when you're the one being unsafe ;). Rant off. Have a great weekend ahead folks.

I would only use it when there is no chance of those things happening, like going down the freeway where there are no animals around or cars to cause me any issues. I am in those situations regularly. So, based on that, I would use it probably almost every day I ride (NEVER while commuting as the statement I made basically never is the case).
Scott

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »

UNSAFE?  Really?  LIKE I SAID you are entitled to your opinion.  I guess we are just at opposite ends of the spectrum
as you are against a real cruise and I'm for a real cruise.

Yes I use mine like I do in a car.  Not in city traffic or when a lot of other vehicles are close by.

Maybe you are a better rider then me in that you can keep a perfect speed for a long time.

Most cars and trucks have cruise and when I use my cruise I feel safer as I'm not slowing down and speeding up
all the time, making the drivers behind me click off their cruised because I slowed down a little and didn't realize it.
When the cars around me are using cruise and I set mine, then I'm not getting closer or farther away from them which is safer in my book.

Also a cruise will return better MPG and may save you from a ticket.

"ALWAYS have your hands on the handlebars"  I guess you have never heard the phrase Never say Never - Never say Always?

When you ride and other riders are approaching you (from the opposite direction) and they use a hand jester (wave) do you never acknowledge them?
Because if you do - you just took a hand off your handlebars, right?  Even you said you shake your hand.......

I apologize I called you  :loco:  My Bad.  It's just that I think most riders would welcome a real cruise.  More and more bikes are
finally starting to come with a cruise as stand equipment.  I doubt that if a buyer found a bike he/she really wanted but the only thing it
had that they didn't want was a real cruise - well I doubt that would keep them from buying it, as there is no law you have to use it.

Heck by some miracle the 2017 C14's might come with cruise as standard like the FJR's do now.  Time will tell

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »
Cruise is an excellent feature and should be standard (or optional) on any bike in the touring/sport touring segment. I thought it was cool when HD made cruise standard on the 'S' series (Slim and Fat Boy) which are not touring bikes at all. And you can add it as an option on other bikes. On my 1200 Triumph, I used cruise 95% of the time in all traffic conditions, highway and city. There is definitely 'flat earth' thinking with respect to cruise. Its not there so you can sing the YMCA song or do needlepoint while you ride. Or even just to rest your hand. It is easily used to maintain constant speed with less effort while still keeping hands on bars and covering the brake.

More motorcycle industry foolishness: it should be against the law for 'street legal' bikes (or any vehicle) to be sold with built-in speedometer error. It's okay for toys on tracks, but not real transportation. I have three bikes with three different speedo errors! So cruise helps alleviate this mess. Another unfortunate consequence of motorcycle riding is the proximity of the gauges to line of sight. Even on Connie, peripheral vision can't pick up the speedo like it can in a car. Unless one is riding in attack mode all the time. I loved the giant digital speedo on the Triumph.

Even so, I like the cable throttle on the Connie way better than the RBW throttles on all the Euro tourers. So mccruise and done.

Built-in nav? Never. Add-on Garmin better in every way.
Adjustable handle bars and grips? Meh. Good marketing idea but impossible to get right from factory.
A backrest for rider and passenger. Meh.
Better stock tires. Meh. It's a consumable; roll your own ASAP.
The ability to open the saddlebags without a key if the FOB is within range even if the bike is off, same for storage box? Just allow the latch to close down with the lock open. Fancy not needed.
USB ports in place of a useless cover over a blank spot? I'm just thankful for the spot so you can add what's useful for your needs.

Be thankful the bike is plain with a huge aftermarket. Let the factory concentrate on what they do best- engine and chassis. Let the aftermarket handle the comfort and convenience. It really is the best of both worlds. Holy smokes the griping and complaining over factory accessories when they get it wrong! And it is the norm. Fancy factory features sure do win magazine shootouts, though.

SCR... I was just using your list as a springboard, not attacking your ideas.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Cruise is an excellent feature and should be standard (or optional) on any bike in the touring/sport touring segment. I thought it was cool when HD made cruise standard on the 'S' series (Slim and Fat Boy) which are not touring bikes at all. And you can add it as an option on other bikes. On my 1200 Triumph, I used cruise 95% of the time in all traffic conditions, highway and city. There is definitely 'flat earth' thinking with respect to cruise. Its not there so you can sing the YMCA song or do needlepoint while you ride. Or even just to rest your hand. It is easily used to maintain constant speed with less effort while still keeping hands on bars and covering the brake.

More motorcycle industry foolishness: it should be against the law for 'street legal' bikes (or any vehicle) to be sold with built-in speedometer error. It's okay for toys on tracks, but not real transportation. I have three bikes with three different speedo errors! So cruise helps alleviate this mess. Another unfortunate consequence of motorcycle riding is the proximity of the gauges to line of sight. Even on Connie, peripheral vision can't pick up the speedo like it can in a car. Unless one is riding in attack mode all the time. I loved the giant digital speedo on the Triumph.

Even so, I like the cable throttle on the Connie way better than the RBW throttles on all the Euro tourers. So mccruise and done.

Built-in nav? Never. Add-on Garmin better in every way.
Adjustable handle bars and grips? Meh. Good marketing idea but impossible to get right from factory.
A backrest for rider and passenger. Meh.
Better stock tires. Meh. It's a consumable; roll your own ASAP.
The ability to open the saddlebags without a key if the FOB is within range even if the bike is off, same for storage box? Just allow the latch to close down with the lock open. Fancy not needed.
USB ports in place of a useless cover over a blank spot? I'm just thankful for the spot so you can add what's useful for your needs.

Be thankful the bike is plain with a huge aftermarket. Let the factory concentrate on what they do best- engine and chassis. Let the aftermarket handle the comfort and convenience. It really is the best of both worlds. Holy smokes the griping and complaining over factory accessories when they get it wrong! And it is the norm. Fancy factory features sure do win magazine shootouts, though.

SCR... I was just using your list as a springboard, not attacking your ideas.

I'm NOT offended - so no worries - I know we are all different and one size does not fit all and what I like maybe someone else wouldn't.

Just a few "corrections" IMO

The built in Nav in my SUV is much better than my Garmin.  On an Interstate it will show the next 3 exits and the mileage to each.  Rest stops too.  ;D
That is a great feature - It counts down the mileage as you get closer and as you pass an exit the next exit will show up with the distance to it.
A Garmin will show ONLY the next (1) exit and NOT show you how far it is to it.  SO if they put a system like that on a bike, it would blow away a Garmin, IMO.

Adjustable handle bars and grips might not work for everyone but even if it worked for only 50% of riders it would be worth it.
Some is better then none, again IMO.

Backrests - Have you ever used one?  I think not - only that you think they would be useless.  I have used them and like them.

Just allow the latch to close down with the lock open. You can't remove the key unless it's in the locked position.  And even if you could
you would be risking the bag(s) falling off while riding - that and maybe the cover opening.  Other bikes don't have to have a key to open the saddlebags.

OK the USB ports don't have to go in the blank cover spot - but with so many devices using USB for charging a port or 2 somewhere on the bike would be nice.

Well at least we agree that Cruise Should be Standard.
I also agree that the speedometers should be accurate - just like a car. 

The above are my opinions alone - if you agree fine - if you don't agree fine.  Different strokes for different folks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »
I would literally hate it if everyone agreed on everything.  It would be very dull indeed.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
I would literally hate it if everyone agreed on everything.  It would be very dull indeed.
yep