Author Topic: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.  (Read 25466 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 hanging throttle help.
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
MOB, heated grips, and that is the cover/shroud, protecting the wire coming from the grip.  At least that's what I see...tomp

ahhhhh.. thanx... no heated gripz on my bike...
just another point of failure... oops, sorry.

I take it there is no extended warranty on this bike either.... bummer.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »
Too much play in the throttle. My 08 would be almost un=rideable with that much play. Very jirky on/off throttle.
If this was my problem the first thing I would do is remove the throttle cables from the twist grip and check grip movement.
If the movement is fine I'd try pulling and pushing (at the same time) the cables. If that checks out I'd be looking for another C-14 owner to ride the bike for their opinion.

Bob Skinner

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »
Too much play in the throttle. My 08 would be almost un=rideable with that much play. Very jirky on/off throttle.
If this was my problem the first thing I would do is remove the throttle cables from the twist grip and check grip movement.
If the movement is fine I'd try pulling and pushing (at the same time) the cables. If that checks out I'd be looking for another C-14 owner to ride the bike for their opinion.

Bob Skinner
:stirpot: :hitfan: :hitfan: :hitfan: :deadhorse: :popcorn: :loco:

great job.
thanks.
his freeplay is correct.

again, thanks.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
Can you guys please confirm that if you take off quick and rev it beyond 5 thousand rpm that you get no hanging throttle? Mine hangs around that rpm if I was to pull the clutch in after taken off quick.  Where it sticks is almost at the closed throttle point and I need to twist it a little closed it to bring it full closed.  If a few of you could please try it on your bikes I'd appreciate your feedback. 

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 12:45:34 AM »
no hanging here. Bike is 60 000 miles.
MoB has a point: the cables don't stretch perceptively. You can really pick up the bike with one of those, with quite a safety margin, and it won't stretch more than 0.5%, and that's a lot for a steel cable. I'm going on a limb here, but if the cable is 1.5 foot long (just a number from my head) that means 0.06" extension, which for us "normal" people of this world means 1,5 mm. And that is if you lift the bike! So just by using it... I don't see any stretch happening, and definitely not a plastic deformation.
However, come to think of it, it's made of individual threads that might accommodate relative to each other, hence the stretching of the cable...  :banghead:
Ahhh, forget it...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »
Kinda makes your brane hurt, doesn't it, Martin?  I try not to think of such things as my brane hurts enough as it is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
Gonna take it apart again. It's gotta be throttle body related or secondary throttle plates. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all for your input I appreciate it.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
+1 on the Throttle Tamer
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
+1 on the Throttle Tamer

Throttle tamer?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
There is no interaction between the primary and secondary throttle plates ("the 'flies"). Whatever your throttle problem is, it cannot be related to the secondaries; no sense in spending any time on that possibility.  Best of luck with the diagnosis.

Brian

Gonna take it apart again. It's gotta be throttle body related or secondary throttle plates. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all for your input I appreciate it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
I agree, but I have to check everything. Whatever this issue is only happens when it's above 5 thousand rpm which is when the power comes on strong.  I don't think it's a throttle cable issue at as it would do it all the time. This is a throttle body related issue or throttle plates. I will figure it out and will post my findings.

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Are the secondary butterflies supposed to be closed when you shut off the bike because mine stay open about 3/4 of the way.

Here is a video. When I turn the key off they don't close all the way.  I don't see anything else. I know I'm reaching for straws as the secondaries have really nothing to do with the throttle blades. Any other input would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trhQAW8e6Yw
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:26:38 PM by Concours144545 »

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2015, 04:42:03 PM »
FIXED

Not sure what they call this, but it attached to the secondaries. It was corroded and was sticking and was causing the throttle to stick when the secondaries would try to close. Many thanks to all that helped, But especially this guy below. See attached video.  I hope this can help someone else as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyBtaz7JqmM

Offline henerythe8th
Tricycle
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)
AREA: Northwest Area
COG#: Forum
Membership Level: Forum Subscriber

Re: Throttle won't completely return to closed when driving above 5,000 rpm
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »
This is as it was discussed by the stealership guy from when I had this repair done under warranty:

I'd recommend that you remove the plastic, I believe on the LH side of the bike.
You should be able to see a screw that is an adjustment for the secondaries (if I remember correctly) that has a screw with a locknut (and perhaps a spring).
I was told that it was 'factory painted' to show that it had been checked and that the paint should go from the screw past the bracket and onto the locknut.
Mine experienced rotation due to vibration and would change the rpm that the bike could idle down to.

Could be that the 5000rpm is the magic vibration zone that allows your screw to rotate.

Just something to check...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »
All I know is I'm pissed off to be honest.  Bike us brand new per say.  I've owned many kawasaki's but this may be the last. I'm gonna pull the tank maybe tomorrow and will report back.  I don't think it's a cable issue at all.  It's probably in the throttle body or computer issues.

It will not be the fuel tank you need to pull to get to the cables or the linkage/return spring etc on the throttle bodies. but you will be pulling some body panels and miscellaneous other pieces under them.

It did not do it pre the flash and now it does?-- because it does not sound like a throttle tube/cable mechanical issue based on the follow up.

I see the high idle adjuster was sticking.......... I guess I should have read the entire thread before commenting

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2015, 05:19:16 AM »
It will not be the fuel tank you need to pull to get to the cables or the linkage/return spring etc on the throttle bodies. but you will be pulling some body panels and miscellaneous other pieces under them.

It did not do it pre the flash and now it does?-- because it does not sound like a throttle tube/cable mechanical issue based on the follow up.

I see the high idle adjuster was sticking.......... I guess I should have read the entire thread before commenting

Yes it was. Hopefully this will help someone else as well.