Author Topic: Service (and break-in) questions  (Read 16381 times)

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:51:52 AM by elp_jc »

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:52:13 AM by elp_jc »

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:52:30 AM by elp_jc »

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 01:09:54 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:52:52 AM by elp_jc »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Service (and break-in) questions
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
It's annoying not being able to 'multiple' quote on this forum.

Huh?

It obviously was ;D . I use 30dB Howard Leight's 'Max Lite' because the 33dB 'Max' ones started bothering my ears. In fact, even the lites are bothering my left ear now. Geez. Sorry for the typo.

Again, not me on the first. And protecting the radiator, whether it's $10, $500 or $1,000, you bet I do care about that. Not fun ruining a trip due to a punctured radiator. To each his own though. By the way, the screening alone doesn't create airflow issues. But I don't want it over a restrictive radiator screen either. When I get the bike will see if I can attach it without a screen.

When you are replying, you can insert Quotes until the Kaws come home..  Just page down on the Topic Summary.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
I'll have to see if throttle response bothers me or not. As far as 'noise', that's NOT what I'm after. The stock can is an abomination, and want it out. Will save 15# in the process. So far I'm inclined to buy the TBR M5 black-edition can with the P1 dB-killer insert, which won't be much louder than stock. I like the AreaP slip-on better (especially the endcap), but it could be too loud, and has no 'dB killer' option. On the TBR, they make an even quieter insert (P1X), that would sound almost like stock. So that's an option if the P1 is still too loud (doubt it).

Your going to fit right in around here.  ;)

As to the plugs being cheap... the C14 uses Iridium plugs which are more expensive, also means they last a long time. No idea why the manual says 7.5K change. My bike has 53,000 on it and I changed the plugs at the only valve check done so far and the plugs didn't need changing.

BTW: the owners manual in Europe says to check valves every 50,000 kilometers. I choose to use that number because I asked and my bike has no idea its in the USA.  ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
Your going to fit right in around here.  ;)

As to the plugs being cheap... the C14 uses Iridium plugs which are more expensive, also means they last a long time. No idea why the manual says 7.5K change. My bike has 53,000 on it and I changed the plugs at the only valve check done so far and the plugs didn't need changing.

BTW: the owners manual in Europe says to check valves every 50,000 kilometers. I choose to use that number because I asked and my bike has no idea its in the USA.  ;D

Except that it can roll 3000 miles and still hear the same language.  :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Wow, this is gettin good, I gotta make some popcorn, pour another glass of Benchmark Old # 8, and watch this thread...

I have a chopped down factory muffler (-6"), no other engine mods, a fenda extenda from Murphs,  two self done valve inspections with one major shim swap, self done, air filter replacement, and plug replacement (saved the oems as they were perfect), and I get normaly 43 mpg, cranking the biotch, got 42 mpg hauling my trailer down and back to Silverdammit, and actually got 49 mpg 2 up run in to RWTW a couple years ago, fully loaded, and hit 150+ mph during that ride... no raditor damage (thank you Murph) and my bike is silver first year edition... no problemo....

Spend all the money you want, it won't matter untill you realize that spending those bucks on anything but gas and tires, and oil and filter changes don't mean squat.. but hey, its your money... and funny thing, you can spend $5k on a suspension system, and some silly bastich on a stock bike may blow you off... that's priceless... like they say on the commercials.. 8)

I've been passed by chopped sportsrters on back roads.... doesn't mean squat to me. They lived there, and drove that road daily.. I had to wonder what was coming around the next turn.

Jim,
I just love it when someone pops in, with 3 days under their belt here, and procedes to open a can of whoopass on everyone... don't you?
When I get the bike will see if I can attach it without a screen.

That says it in a nutshell...
Sweet.

This bike sounds better and better every day ;). Great news on the fuel tank not having to be removed for any maintenance. And also for not having to do TB synching. Spark plugs are cheap enough I don't mind swapping them with every valve check, which I might check at 15K just to have a base line, and go from there. 

Hey folks, want to tell you about the mods I'm doing, in case you have opinions (negative ones are welcome too ;D). First of all, I'm 5'10", 31" inseam, and 160# fully dressed, but with no gear. Oh, and will always ride this bike solo. I'm going to wait on the seat, until I use the bike for a few hundred miles, and see if it's an issue for me. If I can almost flatfoot, that'd be fine. Had a low seat once, but never again. I'm kind of in-between, but a lower seat not only significantly decreases comfort, but also bends my knees more, and cause pain. Since I ride solo, solid flatfooting is not essential, although with a top-heavy (and simply heavy) bike, you want to be as close to that as possible. If I have to change the seat, my choices are Sargent (if it allows the same or better reach, meaning not too wide at the front), Liam, and other weird seat name that escapes me now.
o that. Love the clean wind in my face feel of sportbikes, and hope to experience that on a sport-tourer for the first time.
 very much to all for your great help. Hope you enjoyed your weekend.

First off, any service to the top end requires removing the fuel tank, it takes 3 minutes to do, and not doing it.... well, its just plain stupid not to.

Its clear, you have never even sat on this bike, and truely believe you can  stop on a hill or offcambre turn/stop, and hold this bike up.. I caution you sincerely, I have said this since 7/7/2007 when I bought mine, some people do NOT fit this bike, and never will.... they will try to make it fit, and spend a bunch of money changing it, lowering links, lowered seating wieierd bar configs, and in a year sell it off, all because it just doesn't fit your body.. I'm trying to disuade you from buying this bike, for the first time in my history here, simply because it is not gonna fit you, combined with the fact you are so adament  on owning one, without realizing it doesn't fit you're stature, or appearent disire.
You have written an annex to an encyclopedia as to what you intend to do to this bike, ONCE YOU BUY IT...really?
I'll go on record again, saying this bike isn't for everyone, in fact, it does require certain body dimensions to preclude outragiously costly results, both from dumping, and from control factors.. please make sure you ride one before you invest that much money...please.
It ain't for everyone.

Yeah, its a really cool bike, but when its laying on its side in a toll booth, with you under it, its all moot... and quite embarrasing..., no, very embarrasing.

On a lighter note, I believe I surpassed you encyclopedic post in longevity with this one, not that it was my intent, but hey, you said positive or negative responses would be taken well.
Happy holidays.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:26:07 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
I'll have to see if throttle response bothers me or not.

It is more about power than just throttle response... but you will see :)  It is good to have a before and after anyway.  Makes the effort to fix it so much sweeter!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
Spend all the money you want, it won't matter untill you realize that spending those bucks on anything but gas and tires, and oil and filter changes don't mean squat..

Other than the stuff I *had* to do to make the bike rideable with short legs, the best money I ever spent was the Ghul reflash... and it meant a lot more than squat!  Second best was probably the throttle master.  There are a lot of goodies to spend money on that have real results in comfort, convenience, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
I broke mine in mostly according to the manual. I did it on a one day 760 mile trip though. I varied the speed as recommended and didn't drone along at one speed. So far my C14 has given 26,000 trouble free miles, absolutely no issues whatsoever. Of course the break in procedure shouldn't have any effect on such low mileage. I simply read the manual's break in procedure, and followed it. No full throttle acceleration and vary speed. Others simply ride it.

It is a great bike, I think you'll enjoy it. Welcome!

Just noticed the new avatar...I hate change.  Tell your buddy on the right he's a little wooden..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:53:31 AM by elp_jc »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 04:11:29 AM »
I don't know about the weed, but the meds as well?  They tone down the voices..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 04:42:45 AM »
I don't know about the weed, but the meds as well?  They tone down the voices..
They at least change them back to English......what?.....no I won't....go away...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:15 AM »
Thank you for the help people; greatly appreciated. Well, those who helped ;D. Somebody needs to lay off the weed... or get off his meds ::).

I'm thinking that someone needs to start smoking a lil and adjust the dosage on his meds...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 06:15:54 AM »
First off, any service to the top end requires removing the fuel tank, it takes 3 minutes to do, and not doing it.... well, its just plain stupid not to.

LOL...I'm the one that told him that he didn't have to remove the tank for any top end service, and now you're saying that's just plain stupid?...lol.

Ok...other than removing the secondary flies, what engine top-end service would require the removal of the fuel tank?

Am I missing something here?...lol

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:14 AM »
I would think that if you do the plugs or set up an initial TB sync that you would need to at least prop the tank up if not remove it altogether..

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:23 AM »
I would think that if you do the plugs or set up an initial TB sync that you would need to at least prop the tank up if not remove it altogether..

But the tank isn't in the way of anything...and there's nothing under it but frame...all the engine top-end work is done from the sides of the bike.

I guess you could pull the tank if you didn't want it to get scratched while working on the bike, but it's removal isn't required, not that I'm aware of at least.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here....that's always possible.

Rem
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:52:03 AM by Rembrant »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
LOL...I'm the one that told him that he didn't have to remove the tank for any top end service, and now you're saying that's just plain stupid?...lol.

Ok...other than removing the secondary flies, what engine top-end service would require the removal of the fuel tank?

Am I missing something here?...lol

Rem 8)

Yeah that remark by MOB stumped me too. Of course, if we were to go by what he says, 1/3 (OK, that's a guess, but I look around at rallys) of us shouldn't even own C14s because of our height/inseam challenges. It could be that those big guys (for which the stature challenged Japanese obviously designed this bike) are so bulky that they can't reach the middle cylinder heads unless that tank is removed. That is to say, their arms are long enough, but their big heads hit the tank before their hands can reach the middle cylinders?  ;D
Happy Holidays!