Author Topic: [Guide] How to perform an oil change  (Read 31879 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: [Guide] How to perform an oil change
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 04:41:48 AM »
Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 9 days old..

I'll take the pot, you can keep the porridge.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chap

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
My appologies. I am not familiar with this oil and didn't see it on the label.

Your link shows me it is motorcycle oil.

Nope, definately motorbike oil

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuchs-silkolene-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorbike/dp/B007AFH0E2
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
Some non-motorcycle oils have friction modifiers which can cause a multiplate wet clutch to slip.  If you aren't having problems then you are probably okay.

To this guy,
I do have a center stand still, but with the bike lowered, I can't get it on it alone, so I am screwed too

make sure the centerstand is touching on both of it's feet before lifting the bike.  It makes a world of difference.  I can almost do it barefoot this way while it's nearly impossible if I don't get it straight up and down first.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »
Some non-motorcycle oils have friction modifiers which can cause a multiplate wet clutch to slip.  If you aren't having problems then you are probably okay.

To this guy,
make sure the centerstand is touching on both of it's feet before lifting the bike.  It makes a world of difference.  I can almost do it barefoot this way while it's nearly impossible if I don't get it straight up and down first.

40 weight and 50 weight do not, that defeats the whole energy conserving philosophy. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
a simple additional  tip when changing your oil:
Drain the oil and remove the filter on the center stand. Replace the filter and just starting the drain plug back in a few turns, now switch the bike from the center stand to the side stand. Then remove the drain plug and you will always get additional oil to drain out of the pan. Replace the drain plug and torque. Put the bike back on the center stand to refill.
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline Zteve

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:45 AM »
Don't forget to have her wear gloves!

Beautiful Woman Changes Oil

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
I do have a center stand still, but with the bike lowered, I can't get it on it alone, so I am screwed too :)
(I think I can do the "drive front wheel onto a board" trick though)

You're not screwed, but you're misinformed about where to elevate the bike to be able to get it up on the center stand.  Run the rear wheel up on a scrap of 2x4, 2x6 or 2x8, step on the center stand's extension and pull it up.  If it still won't comply, have someone pull or push the the bike to the rear as you put your full weight on the center stand's extension while pulling the bike up with your left hand on the handlebar and your right doing all the lifting while holding the left rail.  I've been using this method for years as I'm too old (meaning not nearly as strong as I was in my youth) to do it by myself.  I can easily get it on the center stand without elevating the rear tire if someone either pulls or pushes the bike to the rear as I lift it.  With the aid of the 2" block of wood under the rear tire it's easily done by one person.  Just be careful, as you sure as hell don't want to drop it.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
I have a three-foot section of 2x12, but I always put it under the centerstand on my LT, you end up with an extra 2" of space to work in (which on the BMW you need, as you have to take the bottom cover off of the damn oil sump/pan to get to the submerged filter).

Of course, it would be even easier with a newer LT and the electro-hydraulic center stand, just park over the wood and press a button.

"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
I don't have a center stand, I guess I'm screwed.

Put a thickness of 2.5 cm to the side stand and 1st gear selector. ;D
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
Here's a better view of the oil filter. Most of the time this is on tight. It should never be on that tight as it only should ever be torqued to 13 ft lbs. However, torquing it is hard, so most dealers over tighten. However, this can ruin the threads

The sump plug needs to be torqued at 22 ft lbs

Great write up. Just for those metric fellows, a little help:

13 ft lbs. = 18 Nm (for the oil filter)
22 ft lbs. = 30 Nm (for the sump plug)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline max1138

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »
changed the oil on the c14 today at the 10k mark.   this is the third change, one at 500, one at 5k and this one.   its been awhile since I changed it thanks to our crappy snowy cold wet winter and lack of opportunities to ride.  anyway, got it done. rotella T6 per usual and the valvoline gear lube for the rear diff.   what struck me was just how easy it is to change on this bike. pull into garage raise bike on centerstand and the drain is right there, just kneel down and remove the plug. no crawling on floor or raising on the lift needed like on the c-10  then reach thru the front of the fairing and spin off the filter by hand, easy.
 it took more time to get the supplies and tools together than to actually change it.

this a far cry easier than the c10 with the hidden 2nd drainbolt and the guaranteed oil soaked hands removing the filter   or the 1250FA  where both lower fairings had to be removed to get to the oil filter behind the headers  (reach in from the right side and remove the filter then push it out past the hoses on the left, it wouldnt come out the right side and your hand couldnt reach past the hoses on the left, it sucked) 

im sure ill be screaming about too much crap in the way when I do the valve check at 25k but just for oil changes it couldnt be simpler.    now Ive got to swap tires, I may try it myself this time or at least pull the wheels and let my buddy mount them at his shop, last time I had to get a set at riders hill during the RWTW last fall. Ive got too many sets of tires stacked in the garage  to be paying $450 per set installed out on the road.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
changed the oil on the c14 today at the 10k mark.   what struck me was just how easy it is to change on this bike. pull into garage raise bike on centerstand and the drain is right there, just kneel down and remove the plug. no crawling on floor or raising on the lift needed like on the c-10  then reach thru the front of the fairing and spin off the filter by hand, easy.   it took more time to get the supplies and tools together than to actually change it.  this a far cry easier than the c10

My previous bike was a ZRX and it used a non-cartridge type oil filter which was much messier.  I have only changed the oil on the C14 once, myself (so far) and it wasn't too bad except that the dealer tightened the oil filter so much it was a HUGE effort getting it off.  I borrowed two tools and had to buy another to get it off, and it was completely destroyed by then.  Apparently they are easy to over-tighten, so be wary of that.  Thankfully I used a K&N filter so the next time it should be easy because they have a hex nut on the front/top of the filter.

I won't admit that I screwed up and overfilled the oil and had to empty some and ended up dropping the drain plug in the oil bucket and lost a whole quart of extensive stuff why trying to find it with one hand while plugging the hole with the other.  Looking back on it, it was kinda comical...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
I won't admit that I screwed up and overfilled the oil and had to empty some and ended up dropping the drain plug in the oil bucket and lost a whole quart of extensive stuff why trying to find it with one hand while plugging the hole with the other.  Looking back on it, it was kinda comical...

Goes with the territory.. :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:33 AM »
Goes with the territory.. :)

I should have mentioned my tips learned:

1) Always oil the filter gasket
2) Never overtighten the filter
3) When near the end of filling, fill SLOWLY and pause 10 seconds and check the sight glass, it keeps right on rising
4) Do things things better than me
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »

I should have mentioned my tips learned:

1) Always oil the filter gasket
2) Never overtighten the filter
3) When near the end of filling, fill SLOWLY and pause 10 seconds and check the sight glass, it keeps right on rising
4) Do things things better than me

I never check the sight glass when filling. I just dump 4.5 quarts in and it's good every time, right at the middle of the glass.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
I never check the sight glass when filling. I just dump 4.5 quarts in and it's good every time, right at the middle of the glass.

I don't your mad powers/skills :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »
Less brane work, more happiness.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »
Buy a 5 quart container of your favorite oil, attach your fob to aforementioned container, and pour. KIPASS will do the rest.

I don't your mad powers/skills :)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....