Author Topic: [Guide] How to perform an oil change  (Read 31880 times)

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
[Guide] How to perform an oil change
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
Disclaimer: This is to show how I do an oil change. Please consult a professional for your oil changes. Do not attempt on your own as hot oil will burn and scald. You may also invalidate your warranty.

Firstly, here's the the toolset required. What's missing from the photo is the magnetic telescope rod that allows for easy retrieval of nuts and bolts

Also need an old towel as an oil rag

Any excuse to take the bike out and get it up to temperature. Oil is best removed when hot

Get it on the centre stand

The sump drain plug has moved on the newer models

Had to take care when removing the drain plug. The oil will squirt out. Did I mention its HOT?

Somewhere in that blackness is the plug. That oil is HOT. So I'll use my magnetic pickup tool to retrieve it

Here's a better view of the oil filter. Most of the time this is on tight. It should never be on that tight as it only should ever be torqued to 13 ft lbs. However, torquing it is hard, so most dealers over tighten. However, this can ruin the threads

I had to move the oi drain pan out of the way, so temporarily put the drain plug back in. Then applied the oil filter removal tool

Close up here. It really grips the oil filter

Now to appy some oil to the new filter before assembly

Reattach the new filter and hand tightened. Then grabbed the removal tool and tightened a touch more to make it nice and snug.

Replaced the old crush washer with new. Didn't have to do this as old one was fine, but the cost of a new one is a few pennies

Cleaned the silver area and applied a bit of oil. This is where the crush washer will mate

The sump plug needs to be torqued at 22ft lbs

So, oil has been drained, filter replaced, sump plug back on with new washer and all correcly tightened

And here is the oil I'm using. Yes, I know, I've gone for fully synthetic. I prefer using it once my bike has over 20k miles. The large container has 4L and the smaller 1L making 5L in total. To get the 4.7L in the bike, all the 4L container will be used, and 0.7L of the smaller container

The containers show the volume of oil in them which is handy. On the smaller one, I shall stop when I get to 300ml

Time to add the oil to the bike. Make sure you clean around the filler plug as there can be dirt and grime that may fall in

And what it looks like with the plug removed

Make sure the funnel is cleaned as well. I use mine for allsorts

And start pouring in the oil.

Replace the oil filler plug once all the oil from the 4L container plus 0.7L oil of the smaller container has been added

All the 4L container used. And only 0.7L of the smaller container used

Oil sump is nice and full. This should settle down once I go for a ride

But before I do, check, check and check again!

And after the ride that is pretty much perfect

Finally, get rid of the oil in a responsible manner

And that's how I do my oil changes. Doesn't take long

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: [Guide] How to perform an oil change
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
Quite comprehensive. Thanks for the writeup. What is the filter wrench you are using?

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
Quite comprehensive. Thanks for the writeup. What is the filter wrench you are using?

That would be this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britool-E117117B-Belt-Filter-Wrench/dp/B0051HFZ9I

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
Most Excellent!   :thumbs: :finger_fing11:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
Nice write-up!

One of the most important tools seems to be missing from your operation though...      :o

Where's the beer?

If you had included this very important tool you would have found that the draining of the hot oil isn't nearly as hazardous as it might have been without the beer. Once you get the bike back home after the warm up one must have a beer while the bike cools a bit. In my experience drinking one beer after getting the bike up on the center stand is the perfect amount of cool down time.   

:chugbeer:

And if you drank your beer too fast and you still got burned, well hell, at least you had a beer.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »
Lol, I had the music on if that counts.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Nice, very detailed write- up.

And that filter wrench looks great. A new twist on the old strap wrench. I have never seen anything like that in 'the colonies'. Maybe they will show up after we get more familiar with 'righty- tighty, lefty- loosey'.  :rotflmao:

Thanks for posting that.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
I found the disclaimer to be quite comical.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
Thanks for this!  I was just preparing myself to do my first oil change myself (first two were done by the dealer, now it is my turn).  We just need the same writeup for changing the rear diff fluid and I will be set :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Hijack...Max the rear diff is no problem. Make sure you can get the filler cap loose before you pull the drain plug and don't rotate the wheel when you refill.
Hijack off...

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
I don't have a center stand, I guess I'm screwed.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
I don't have a center stand, I guess I'm screwed.

I do have a center stand still, but with the bike lowered, I can't get it on it alone, so I am screwed too :)
(I think I can do the "drive front wheel onto a board" trick though)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
I have the top of my drain pan covered with a mesh screen, so I just drop the drain plug on to that. Saves having to fish around in hot oil.

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
I also rock the bike (carefully) back and forth/and sideways on the center stand while draining. Gets about another 200 ml of old oil out of the sump.   

Offline chap

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »
Great description, Just forgot the case of beer when finished.

I have to ask about the oil you are using. It doesn't appear to be Motorcycle Oil. I looked at what is available and maybe you should be using:

Fuchs Silkolene Super 4 10W-40 MC-Syn. This is specific for Motorcycle use with the wet clutches etc.

You may be getting rough gear changes etc with that oil.

Just my 2 cents worth.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »

I have to ask about the oil you are using. It doesn't appear to be Motorcycle Oil. I looked at what is available and maybe you should be using:

Fuchs Silkolene Super 4 10W-40 MC-Syn. This is specific for Motorcycle use with the wet clutches etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Motorcycle specific oil is extremely overrated, I can assure you of that. There is a guy on the Stromtrooper forum with over 300K on his 1000 V-Strom......he uses Castrol 10W40 car oil and Fram oil filters exclusively. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline clogan

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
I always change my oil with the engine cold. All the old oil is already in the crankcase. In a hot engine, some oil remains suspended in upper parts of engine, and hence escapes being drained. Plus, I never burn my hands with hot oil. Been doing this way on cars, trucks, boats, ATVs, lawnmowers, motorcycles for over 45 years. I highly recommend it!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »

Just my 2 cents worth.

Nope, definately motorbike oil

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuchs-silkolene-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorbike/dp/B007AFH0E2

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
I Do mine cold also, doesn't really make a difference....
I also loosen the filler plug before pulling the drain plug...
and use this to catch the oil.... built in strainer top....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
I always change my oil with the engine cold. All the old oil is already in the crankcase. In a hot engine, some oil remains suspended in upper parts of engine, and hence escapes being drained. Plus, I never burn my hands with hot oil. Been doing this way on cars, trucks, boats, ATVs, lawnmowers, motorcycles for over 45 years. I highly recommend it!

And I do a logical inbetween.  Run the engine for 5 min.  Hot enough to flow, not hot enough to be uncomfortable.