Author Topic: tire pressure monitors  (Read 18742 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: tire pressure monitors
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Do you know if they are putting the new style in? What warranty are they giving on the new sensors?

:rotflmao: in your general direction concerning a warranty with the new sensors...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:43 AM »
Never hurts to ask.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
Nope, but always good for a laugh..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
'09 Honda CRV:  Bought new, TPMS equipped, 65K miles on the car, system works perfect, never touched.
'08 Kaw C14:  Bought with 2500 miles on it, TPMS equipped, 27K on the bike, system only worked if it was above freezing, went through two sets of batteries in 15K, Kaw/dealer refused third, and I gave up on system.   :P

The technology exists for this to be a trouble free, dependable safety feature.  For whatever reason, Kawasaki not only laid an egg with the technology, but is less than supportive of it after the fact.  There is no defense or excuse for advertising a safety feature, and then executing it so poorly that it is useless.  If there is an aftermarket set of equipment that would work, it would be great, but quite frankly shame on Kaw for creating this issue.   >:(

BTW - my $2 tire gauge has been trouble free.    ;)

Just my thoughts.   8)
Dave

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
It certainly has been a problem on the C-14.

For what it is worth, Kawasaki does not manufacture the sensors or the system that monitors them; the sensors were made by LDL out of France, and the rest of the system by Mitsubishi in Japan. Of course Kawasaki did choose that brand and install them on their bikes so they own the results and should warranty the sensors for the full five years they say they should have worked for IMO.

Kawasaki is now going over to Schrader brand sensors and they have some respectable history from the automotive side. And there is a new warranty apparently on these sensors, 5 years or 100,000 miles. The downside is that the battery is potted in the sensor so battery changing is going to get much more difficult if possible at all. And of course, Kawasaki is charging a tremendous amount of money for the sensors :-(

Brian

'09 Honda CRV:  Bought new, TPMS equipped, 65K miles on the car, system works perfect, never touched.
'08 Kaw C14:  Bought with 2500 miles on it, TPMS equipped, 27K on the bike, system only worked if it was above freezing, went through two sets of batteries in 15K, Kaw/dealer refused third, and I gave up on system.   :P

The technology exists for this to be a trouble free, dependable safety feature.  For whatever reason, Kawasaki not only laid an egg with the technology, but is less than supportive of it after the fact.  There is no defense or excuse for advertising a safety feature, and then executing it so poorly that it is useless.  If there is an aftermarket set of equipment that would work, it would be great, but quite frankly shame on Kaw for creating this issue.   >:(

BTW - my $2 tire gauge has been trouble free.    ;)

Just my thoughts.   8)
Dave
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the info update, Brian.  Where did you see that warranty?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:30 AM »

And what's the price for the new sensors?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:37 AM »
A bit more than a dollar, I fear.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 06:12:03 AM »
I don't remember :-(  But these are really (really) supposed to work.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:01 AM »
High. I have not looked yet but something like on the high side of $100, closer to $200. Each.

Brian

And what's the price for the new sensors?

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
I did not ask any of the questions posed here by fellow members. I will ask on Saturday, if the new style parts and nuts are present. Before repairs are started. Then report back here. To the members of the Forum. I thank you for the information. Happy New Year to all.

More as things develop,

Jack
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:18:17 AM by sf bay rider »
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
I will ask on Saturday, if the new style parts and nuts are present. Before repairs are started. Then report back here. To the members of the Forum. I thank you for the information. Happy New Year to all.

Thank you.  For planning.  To report back.  To the group.   ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sf bay rider

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Thank you.  For planning.  To report back.  To the group.   ;)

The new style TPMS on the front and rear have been installed and programed by the dealer.
After a few mistakes on which parts to order and reorder. The correct parts and
fasteners are in place and working well.  The new style TPMS require a different size
nut to secure it to the rim.  In took about three weeks and a few round robins to get the correct
parts. I was told that the new style TPMS units should last at a minimum of three years
and operate without problems, down to 15F.  Time will tell.  The fastest part of this adventure
was getting the parts installed and programmed. 50mins, start to finish.

More as things develop,

Big Jack
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Thanks!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Three years?   Are they under warranty?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »

My reaction exactly.  Three years is a joke.  How about 6?????  My old ones are just now turning 3 and are occasionally starting with the low battery warning when it is cold.  My car is 4.5 years old and still no warnings.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sf bay rider

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »

My TPMS was done under warranty, because I, have the extended warranty.
Otherwise, it would not have been performed under warranty.  I agree for
the list price of the part. It shoud have a longer battery service life. Since the
base warranty is 36 months. I can understand why the part is rated for three
years.

More as things develop.

Big Jack
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
I missed the warranty extension (bonehead move, I know) back in Nov last year,  and the low battery warning started coming on in December.  3-year life expectancy indeed. 
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »

Just brilliant...so in a nut shell, no improvement whatsoever!!  >:( >:( Except making it from a owners perspective more difficult to replace the battery...just %&*# brilliant!!  :thumbdown

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 03:56:17 AM »
 ;D