Yes more than one set.
13 (6%)
No they are perfect.
68 (31.6%)
I have ABS.
64 (29.8%)
I have a NON ABS bike.
27 (12.6%)
I have warped aftermarket rotors as well.
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Concours 14 Brake Rotors  (Read 33781 times)

Offline KawiMick

Re: Concours 14 Brake Rotors
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
Steve,
  I promise we won't laugh when yours fail. :)  Mine never warped, there are soft spots in the
rotor that are thinner than the rest of the disc. Makes for a horrible shudder at 50+ MPH  13K miles.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
Oh don't hold back brutha-man, I deserve to be laughed at when the day comes my rotors fail, luggage flies off, rad gets  a hole, drive shaft fails....   I know my day is coming because at the end of the day this bike is a KAWASAKI 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
the day comes my rotors fail, luggage flies off, rad gets  a hole, drive shaft fails....   

Don't forget your KiPass will lock up (and you won't have a rock) and your TPS batteries will also crap out.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Don't forget your KiPass will lock up (and you won't have a rock) and your TPS batteries will also crap out.

'prolly right 
after this many miles of hard service the bike deserves to break or at least something major go on.....even a HONDA deserves that at this stage  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
HMMMMM???? 
So, after opening one of the EBC rotor boxes I took em home, when I was in the process of pulling the wheel I noticed a looseness, at first I thought it was the head bearings, nope.  After I removed the wheel I put the axle back in the hub and bingo, bad bearings, I called up cycle gear and ordered a set of bearings and seals.  Since I was going to remove the rotors for bearing removal I did so and put them to the side, not even considering to mark which was left or right.  Bearings came in, installed and it's time to install the rotors and darn------I have a chrome and a gold colored hub, *&@*&%$@$#, I call Cycle Gear, they make a call, and wouldnt ya know it?  The rotors are out of stock till late August)*&%@(*&&*#$%(&^#$#$@^%$#.  I spoke with the manager, he will give me a new set of pads once the new rotors come in, cool.  I get it all back together and first real ride yesterday.  Brakes work great, better then great even.  What I thought was brake noise turned out to be the bearings, I was getting a hollow noise with light brake pressure, almost like something was ginding, similar to the sound made when the pads are gone.  I have no pulsing what so ever.  On the way in this morning I stopped at the MSF range we have on post and did some hard core quick stops, hard enough to loft the rear wheel, so I feel it's safe to say I'm OK till the end of August.
So, why the long story?  If your getting unusual noise from the front check out the wheel bearings, the transition from old to new is similar to new tires, just amazing.

My bike makes some really loud noises under braking.  I've only got 21K on it, so that hardly seems enough for the bearings to be shot.  My rotors are VERY warped.  I changed to EBC HH pads in Oregon two weeks ago.  My front brakes were shuddering so bad I was afraid to use them.  I had to pump my lever once to get brakes anyway. 

I replaced the pads on the cycle parts dealer's lot.  The shuddering got a 'little' better, but it's still there.  I'm home now, and the pads have about 2500 miles on them and are finally worn in.  The shudder is better, but it is still VERY there.  I have the bike scheduled for a valve check, so when they are done playing with that, they can take a look at the rotors.   The pisser is that I JUST put new pads on, and they aren't likely to cover the pads IF they replace the rotors (I hope they do!)

This is a bit of contention with me...but I struggle with the fact that the rotors warp, and cause issue with the pads, BUT the pads aren't covered.  I call B.S.!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Fearless

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
How long or how many miles is the warranty period on warped brake rotors?
2008 C14 - Flies out, Area-P full system, PCV

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
They may be like mine, not warped but hard spots and soft spots in the rotor.  You can measure it with a micrometer.  I have about 0.004" variation in 3 spots around the disc.  The handlebars would shake under moderate braking.

Mick

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
The Galfer rotors that I warped after only 2000 miles are being replaced by Galfer. They just called today and they are sending me a new set. :) Now I wonder how long these will last??

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
Congrats Steve,
  Do you have a way of measuring the runout before you use them?  I documented mine before use
just so I know if they started out straight, they did. :)

Mick

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
Congrats Steve,
  Do you have a way of measuring the runout before you use them?  I documented mine before use
just so I know if they started out straight, they did. :)

Mick

Yes I can check the runout as soon as I get them and I will post up my findings.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
The Galfer rotors that I warped after only 2000 miles are being replaced by Galfer. They just called today and they are sending me a new set. :) Now I wonder how long these will last??

Steve, did they offer any explanation is to why they warped?

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
Steve, did they offer any explanation is to why they warped?

None at all. In the first conversation I had with Galfer they said it must be an issue with the Concours if the stock rotors are warping and aftermarket rotors as well. No one seems to have an exact answer to why some of these bikes eat rotors so quickly.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
None at all. In the first conversation I had with Galfer they said it must be an issue with the Concours if the stock rotors are warping and aftermarket rotors as well. No one seems to have an exact answer to why some of these bikes eat rotors so quickly.

Offline Connieman2009

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:22 AM »
2009 C14 ABS with 28.3k miles. The bike had the right front caliper rebuilt under warrantee at 14k miles. This time it's the left caliper that's dragging, and rotor is warped. 

Offline r2t2

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
I think I'm the next victim of rotor problems. I started to get the pulsing on the way back from the Bun Cooler. It happened at about 18K miles. I noticed that it becomes more pronounced once the brakes get some heat in 'em... I guess a call to the dealer is in my (very) near future.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i