Author Topic: Has anyone taken their C14 (or any other bike) on a ferry?  (Read 19580 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Has anyone taken their C14 (or any other bike) on a ferry?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
This was my previous bike, a ZRX-11, on the ferry (not sure why I stuck my glove on the mirror).  Standing there is my best friend, and his bike is on the left, an RF-900.  I think circa late 2000.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
betcha zg has the first mod that makes a c14 go over water like a boat
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:39 PM »
I was on a ferry with a bunch of guys crossing Lake Champlain in N.Y. to Vermont in 1999 when a fierce 'gale' came up suddenly (that's what the crew called it). We were all ordered to get below deck and proceeded to see all our bikes sliding across the deck and into one big pile on the other side of the boat. Nothing could have saved them because the boat was lurching and waves were breaking on the bikes. The captain said that Lake Champlain has wicked storms and though unusual, has happened before. A brand new Gold Wing and 5 Harley's had major damage and my bike's cases and handlebars were never the same afterwards. The insurance companies had never heard of this happening and it took forever to get reimbursed for all the damage done to our bikes. I had no idea how much it cost to fix a Harley and Gold Wing until the guys got their estimates back. A major pisser on the first day of a trip into Canada..

Offline Gsun

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
I have been on the BC ferries several times. You go to the front of the line. No reservations necessary. Load first. Ride off first. It's great. The ferry is never full for a bike. There are blocks where you park. Sometimes not enough, but you can always ask for one. Put the bike on the side stand, in gear, and put a block on the other side, under the motor. You are parked across the beam, so side to side pitching is not a problem, again, as long as you are in gear and pushed to the stop.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »
betcha zg has the first mod that makes a c14 go over water like a boat

Yep, and it involves hot girls in bikini's Steve...  ;D   :chugbeer:

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »

Yep, and it involves hot girls in bikini's Steve...  ;D   :chugbeer:

group buy?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

motocopter

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »
Over the Cumberland River in TN. Prop a camera on the railing, set the timer, and jump behind the Connie!   ;D

Offline jonathan

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
I have ridden the BC ferries many times and the first thing is that you don't automatically go to the front of the line. If they tell you to great, but don't make the assumption, because officially its not allowed.

After that park it in gear on the sidestand and as a precaution place one of the large wedge blocks under the opposite side of the bike. I always sit on or stand by the bike as we leave and arrive holding the front brake just in case of a bump.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
... You are parked across the beam, so side to side pitching is not a problem, ...

The Port Angeles/Victoria ferry isn't like that. You're out at the hull, so you get ALL the motion. It's not on the BC system... it's Black Ball Ferries.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
Over the Cumberland River in TN. Prop a camera on the railing, set the timer, and jump behind the Connie!   ;D

Wow, how did you get Pokey to pose for that picture?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

Wow, how did you get Pokey to pose for that picture?

Pokey should really see a dermatologist about that skin problem.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
I took my C14 on the ferry across Mobile Bay. I just parked it on the sidestand since it was a calm day.

Hey, that looks familiar!

This is the route I took for that ride.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Gsun

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
I have ridden the BC ferries many times and the first thing is that you don't automatically go to the front of the line. If they tell you to great, but don't make the assumption, because officially its not allowed.

After that park it in gear on the sidestand and as a precaution place one of the large wedge blocks under the opposite side of the bike. I always sit on or stand by the bike as we leave and arrive holding the front brake just in case of a bump.
I have always been told to go to the front row. Once the ferry was sold out and they put me on anyway. Told me no problem since I was on a bike.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »
I have always been told to go to the front row. Once the ferry was sold out and they put me on anyway. Told me no problem since I was on a bike.

It used to be that you would come up to a ferry line up and just drive yourself to the front. That got shot down and officially it is now first come first serve. However, we usually do get waved to the front by the staff, but that is at their discretion.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
Leave it to management to spoil a good thing!

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
I have taken the Connie on the NC ferry system several times. First of all, don't bother calling them for any info, because they don't answer the phones, and if you ever do get someone on the phone, they don't know what to tell you. They provide no tie downs or anything else, bring it if you want. When you drive onto the ferry, the ferry people tell you, stay with your bike, we are not responsible for anything that happens to it.  The ferry boats come in different sizes, and the procedure is different depending on which boat you get. Sometimes you get told to drive front tire first, up to the pipe that is a perimeter car tire stop around the entire deck. Several Harleys were trying to back them in, and they made them turn them around, that took a while. On other ferry trips, they just let us go right in with the cars. One time I was parked, when an old home brew Honda V bike worth at least $25 that was barely on it's homemade side-stand parked, leaning dangerously, parked right next to me. Sheer terror the whole ride! If the winds are up, you may get spray over the ferry's little side walls. One time the bikes were drenched with salt water over and over. Not good, as when you get to the outer banks, they treat water like gold and we couldn't wash the bikes until late at night when no one was watching. And we were supposed to 'stay with the bikes'? In a salty rain storm? Obviously the jerks that put us there knew that was the place where the spray would be likely.
2008 C-14

Offline booger

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
I just use the side stand and put the bike in first gear.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
Crossed Strait of Magellan to and from Tierra del Fuego/Isla Grande/Ushuaia, Argentina fin del mundo and southernmost city in the world. No problem with KLR650 on side stand in gear. Punky 'n' Lew 'n' Achi 2 stayed with bike. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
A ferry somewhere in Louisiana in 2011. Not sure where. Apparently the vessel is called Acadia.

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Washington State ferries; first on first off!! Just be on the bike before they dock.