Author Topic: Center Stand: when to use it?  (Read 15620 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Center Stand: when to use it?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
But that kid still hands you the pump huh?  ;)

Nope, I don't even leave enough room for a person between my bike and the pump...

Swipe my own card, grab the nozzle, pump, and take receipt...

Sometimes they do walk over and I just say I've got it and they walk away...  :)

I do always go the Chevron though, maybe that makes a difference on if they allow it or not?  :-\

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
So is the average Oregonian not capable of being intrusted by state to do that for themselves?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »

Nope, I don't even leave enough room for a person between my bike and the pump...

Swipe my own card, grab the nozzle, pump, and take receipt...

Sometimes they do walk over and I just say I've got it and they walk away...  :)

I do always go the Chevron though, maybe that makes a difference on if they allow it or not?  :-\

scofflaw!!!   :o    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
I do always go the Chevron though
See there is your problem you never go far enough to use a different gas station then the one down the street from ya.   ::)

So do you put the side stand down while gas'n up on the bike?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
See there is your problem you never go far enough to use a different gas station then the one down the street from ya.   ::)

Thats funny, and black bikes get too dirty if you venture far from home.  ;)  I use centerstand on concrete only, unless in the cool temps of Spring or Fall I will use on asphalt.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »

:rotflmao: :-[

Yep, otherwise I can't reach the ground...  ;) ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »

:rotflmao: :-[

Yep, otherwise I can't reach the ground...  ;) ;D

Well if you would wear boots instead of sandals that might help a bit.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

Well if you would wear boots instead of sandals that might help a bit.

:rotflmao:

Touche' Brian...  ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
The small print in the law says it's ok to pump your own if you are on a motorcycle or if it's diesel.  :nuts:

Hey, you're right.  I didn't know they had a motorcycle exemption.  I thought only diesel was exempt at a retail gas station.

From here, as of 2011 : http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/480.html

480.330 Operation of gasoline dispensing device by public prohibited; aviation fuel exception. An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate any pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container. [Amended by 2001 c.285 §1]

And a few lines down is the motorcycle exemption :

480.349 Use of gasoline dispensing device by motorcycle operator.
   (1) As used in this section, “motorcycle” has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.365.
   (2) Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340:
      (a) Upon the request of an operator of a motorcycle, the owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail shall set the fuel dispensing device and hand the discharge nozzle to the operator of the motorcycle.
      (b) An operator of a motorcycle who is handed a discharge nozzle under paragraph (a) of this subsection:
        (A) May dispense Class 1 flammable liquids into the operator’s motorcycle.
        (B) Shall, after dispensing the liquids, return the discharge nozzle to the owner, operator or employee.
   (3) The owner, operator or employee who is handed the discharge nozzle shall return the nozzle to the pump or take any other actions necessary to ensure safe completion of the fueling operation. [2001 c.344 §2]

Note: 480.349 was added to and made a part of 480.315 to 480.385 by legislative action but was not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.

I looked into it awhile back, and even completed the "training course" to be certified to pump gas at card lock stations (just a list of common sense things), and I didn't see any exemptions to pumping gasoline into anything at that time - Thanks Tom!

I have encountered one station where the owner insisted I move my bike away from the pump, and tried to insist he would pump my gas.  I told him that would never happen, and to give me the nozzle before he offended me.  He did relent, but complained about it.  I haven't been back to that station since, which is a shame, because it's the only station in the PDX metro area with non-ethanol 91 fuel.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »
So is the average Oregonian not capable of being intrusted by state to do that for themselves?

Probably not, but it is an excuse to keep a whole bunch of minimum wage jobs, which seems to be the winning argument every time a repeal has been attempted.

It's a really old law.  Until recently there was a law on the books that it was illegal to transport more the 1 gallon of gasoline.  Someone found it a few years back and pointed out that every car on the road was in violation.  They punted that law.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
I find this very curious in the 21st century. Is it true full service? Window wash, Can I check your oil? Do the food stores still have bag boys?  Do you still get milk delivered to you door in the mornings?  :)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
Probably not, but it is an excuse to keep a whole bunch of minimum wage jobs, which seems to be the winning argument every time a repeal has been attempted.

That was in the back of my mind as I read it. Better minimum wage jobs than no job at all. State unemployment offices must be happy to always have openings available.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Do the food stores still have bag boys? 

Yep, and girls!  :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
I'm intrigued by this place called Or-ee-gon. Do I need a passport or visa to visit?

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
I find this very curious in the 21st century. Is it true full service? Window wash, Can I check your oil? Do the food stores still have bag boys?  Do you still get milk delivered to you door in the mornings?  :)

The days of getting true full service, or your windshield washed, are all but gone.  On a rare occasion, when there are no other customers, and the pump jockey is bored, they'll wash you windshield.  Or if it's a small, privately owned station, and the owner is pumping the gas.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
I'm intrigued by this place called Or-ee-gon. Do I need a passport or visa to visit?

Sort of, you need a Credit Card, or a pocket full of cash.   ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »

Just bring us beer and we'll open the gate for ya GP...  :chugbeer:

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
Guys, please let's get back on topic....Center Stand Chronicles.

If you want to talk about self service gas or the lack thereof start a new thread in Open.  Thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »
I find myself using my center stand more often now that the temp has broken and I am not afraid of sinking into the hot pavement. Have never thought to put it on the stand to fill the gashole.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt