Author Topic: looking at new Connie  (Read 15366 times)

Offline Rocket Therapy

looking at new Connie
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
Hi my name is John and at the present I'm riding a 07 Triumph Rocket III Dynoed at 148 HP and 142 lb torque, I love the bike. anyway I've been eyeballing the 2012 Connies and I think I'm about to pull the triger on one. The more I research them, the more I like em. I've read about putting risers on and maybe changing exhaust, (muffler) to start, I was wondering what the pros and cons were of owning a Connie, likes, dislikes, things I may want to be aware of, and where is a better place to learn then on a C-14 forum right???

I was thinking about a Connie when I bought my Rocket, just didn't  get a chance to ride one before test riding the Rocket.
Anyway I hope to hear from some of you and maybe one day I will be on here also, I know the R3 forum you can't beat for the wealth of info

thanks in advance

John

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: looking at new Connie
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
Oh yes, this is a super forum with tons of great info and very interesting people.  My suggestion would be to use the search option first... there are numerous interesting threads about people researching the Concours.  Might take a while to dig through it, since there is no obvious search term to use in this case.

Your one question is very general.  So here is a very general answer from my observations:

Positives:  The C-14 is a fast, comfortable, smooth, quiet, feature-packed, reliable, low-maintenance, nice looking, fuel efficient, affordable bike with an excellent warranty and lots of aftermarket addon's available.  It has excellent handling for a bike of it's size.  The shaft drive is extremely convenient and works well, as does the 6 speed transmission.  The brakes are powerful and ABS and traction control both really work.  Offers great weather protection.

Negatives:  No factory cruise control, the keyless system is a bit strange (some like it, some hate it, others don't care), probably should have had a larger gas tank, is a bit heavy/large (but that is the class for this bike), no factory HID, no LED except for brakes, wimpy horn, some maintenance tasks are difficult (like getting to the spark plugs).  Some people do not like the linked brakes.

Other: Most any negative can be fixed with mods or aftermarkets, and nothing can even come close to the overall package at the price.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Welcome John. The Rocket has monster torque #s. The C14 is a much different riding style. Test one if you can. They're not for everybody. Search the forum. Most questions have been discussed at length. Some beat to death. If you get one ride it for awhile before spending on mods and upgrades. What fits one might not fit another. Are you going to keep the Rocket or retire it to stump pulling? I've not ridden one but it must be a grinner.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »
I can't think of any dislikes..except that it always wants to go faster even when you don't.  It's never satisfied.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
Pro = KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
Con= KiPass

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
I guess that evens that out... :-X
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
I rode a Rocket once, LOVED the stump pulling torque. Very different riding position. Before my C14 I rode a Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie is very similar riding position to the Rocket. It took some getting used to and bringing the grips on the C14 up and back before I felt comfortable. Now I have done 900 mile days on the C14 and love it. Definitely ride one before pulling the trigger. If you bring your Rocket to Colorado Springs I'd love to switch bikes for a few hours and and put 100 miles on them.

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
The mad pow-ah of KiPass will never even out.  It keeps some runnin' relentlessly and perhaps has been accused of shutting others down hard. But the pow-ah cannot realistically be ignored 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
Ha Ha, I just read this and went out and checked my horn for the first time. What the hell is that!!! Time to upgrade that thing!! On a side note, I just found out that I have hazard lights too!! Hey, don't beat me up to bad, I've only had it for 3 days. I guess I should finally sit down and read the manual front to back.  :-\ 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
 ;D

OFFTOPIC:

Hey Steve, take a look over on the COG forum- Bob is spewing about KiPass again but this time it is my turn. Kinda funny. Maybe you should post that Barbie / fob photo in that thread right about now.... Just kidding, Bob would probably blow a gasket and then his wife would have to clean up the mess.

Brian

Pro = KiPass
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
So then you do not know about the powered reverse yet? Have you been pushing the bike backwards with your legs?!?!?!?!?

Brian

Ha Ha, I just read this and went out and checked my horn for the first time. What the hell is that!!! Time to upgrade that thing!! On a side note, I just found out that I have hazard lights too!! Hey, don't beat me up to bad, I've only had it for 3 days. I guess I should finally sit down and read the manual front to back.  :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »
;D

OFFTOPIC:

Hey Steve, take a look over on the COG forum- Bob is spewing about KiPass again but this time it is my turn. Kinda funny. Maybe you should post that Barbie / fob photo in that thread right about now.... Just kidding, Bob would probably blow a gasket and then his wife would have to clean up the mess.

Brian

Whoa, I have been forced to defend the mad pow-ah of KiPass. And just a few of the guys over there create a constant spiteful grouchy climate anyway.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
So then you do not know about the powered reverse yet? Have you been pushing the bike backwards with your legs?!?!?!?!?

Brian

Uhhhhhh....ummmmmm......I knew that, I was just using my legs to assist it.  8)
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
I came from a M109R (another stump puller) and absolutely love the C14.  I do miss the torque of the 109 but that is something that a couple thousand more revs can take care of with the C14.  If you ride one don't be afraid to wring it out, nothing but smooooooth useable power.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Flathead

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »

Back to front would be go good start considering the horrible japlish tranlation! :)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
Get a Stebel and the horn turns into a nice way to get attention.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
And just a few of the guys over there create a constant spiteful grouchy climate anyway.

MOB is on this forum too...  ;D ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »

MOB is on this forum too...  ;D ;)

I didn't say him or I, nor you, nor anyone else in particular is grouchy  :)